It’s about the staff : from the guys at the front to the reception staff to the housekeeping staff, to the people who work in the restaurants and business lounge : good people, warm, welcoming and professional. But the hotel has its limitations.
The hotel is tired and I don’t think that anyone is really interested in upgrading it.
Example : last august we made a point of mentioning something about a particular room – in fact, it was a suite. The representative of the hotel said that in all the bathrooms in the suites there was a seat that came down from the wall : this was important for us! When I told this person that there was no seat in the shower, he almost scoffed and insisted on coming to the room to look because he said “ all the showers have this facility” and he was quite shocked when he arrived and the seat was not there. The other suites have it.
We arrived here in March and the same suite was assigned to us - they hadn’t fixed it! Unbelievable – it is just a small fold out seat from the wall. Given that none of the rooms at the Hilton Singapore have a bathroom that is suitable for people with physical disabilities – i.e. they are all showers in baths – one would think that the suites would have the minimum of accessibility. I note that a lot of people are saying that they have been coming here for years and I can see clearly the age of the returning guests in the executive lounge, and this is where Hilton Singapore is going to miss out. These same people write glowing reviews, but wait until the day they are a bit older and they slip in the shower, or they need a bar in the bathroom (a bar by toilet even in the suites would make a difference – something so simple, it is flabbergasting that either the management and/or decision makers are so insensitive) – the clientele that the Hilton Singapore is relying on will gradually drift away and the younger generation is not going to stay at Hilton Singapore because they want a more modern hotel. This is an old fashioned hotel, but they don’t seem to understand that older people require some secure facilities to make their stay more enjoyable!
Just some basic common sense and attention to detail will keep the older clients returning as they age because the Singapore Hilton really has a nice feel about it.
I have a daughter who has a physical disability – so she is not older, but because of this I am always on the lookout. As I age, I am not exactly keen on showers in/over baths – easy to slip and fall.
Furthermore, we mentioned to Singapore Hilton about this twice last year : the sensors on their lifts are very slow and, in fact, can be quite useless. I did not write a trip review because I thought they would fix it. But, they haven’t. My daughter is in a wheelchair and last year she wheeled into the lift and as I came in after her, the lift doors started closing so I put my arm out – the lift doors closed on my hand. The lift doors did not open.
HILTON SINGPORE : PLEASE TAKE NOTE AS WE HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED THIS TO SOMEONE : your open and close door buttons are at the top of the panel and so is your EMERGENCY BUTTON : I would imagine that this is something fairly easy to fix.
Back to the day : As she watched my hand and fingers turning purple, then blue, she managed to get out of her wheelchair (not an easy feat) and reach the button to open the lift door : warning, these buttons are located at the top of the button panel. This didn’t work at all, so she managed again to lift herself, because she was very worried for my hand, and was about to press the emergency button when someone from the Hilton Team stepped out of another lift and I called to her to sit down and not worry. This member of the Hilton team saw quite clearly that the doors would not open, but just as he was about to call maintenance they did open – thank goodness for my hand/fingers!!!
So, I’d just like to say : this was last year NOT IN AUGUST, but in June last year and in March 2013 I still see that the panel hasn’t changed. So anyone with a disability etc, will STILL have difficulty reaching the open lift door button or the emergency button. I DID point it out to Hilton staff. I was reminded because my daughter had a problem with the doors in the lift tonight which has prompted me to write this review : the sensors are obviously still not working correctly. She was helped by a nice member of housekeeping who also had difficulty with the lift doors.
As nice as the majority of staff are at Hilton Singapore, I think this is the last time for us which is a shame.
Great location, really nice staff (which I have to say is important, and it is one of the things that makes me a bit sad that I really have to consider going somewhere else because of safety issues etc) - if you are booking a suite, be aware that amenities are not any more than a bowl of apples in your room, but Hilton Melbourne was the same, so maybe that is a Hilton thing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Orchard Road, Singapore's popular entertainment and shopping district, Hilton Singapore is close to both ION Orchard and Takashimaya shopping centers. This award-winning Singapore hotel is a convenient 20-minute drive from Singapore Changi International Airport and close to Singapore's popular attractions. Try the Opus Bar & Grill's prime-cuts that are dry aged in-house for 14 to 36 days and grilled over an open-flame charcoal grill, or sip on a cocktail inspired by Asian food at the bar. For authentic Italian cuisine, il Cielo is known for its high culinary standards using organic produce. Perched on the 24th floor of the hotel, the Sky Bar is the perfect oasis to relax over drinks while taking in sunset views of the city. Revitalize with an organic juice and healthy lunch from the Glow Juice Bar and Cafe. For the sweet-toothed ones, the D9 Cakery offers an impressive six-meter showcase of delicious cakes, pastries and more. Enjoy shopping in luxury boutiques without leaving the hotel in the Shopping Gallery. Stay active during your stay at this Singapore hotel. Swim laps in the rooftop pool, work out in the fully equipped fitness center or indulge in rejuvenating beauty treatments. Make business easy at the Hilton Singapore hotel. Stay connected with colleagues and catch up with work with contemporary business amenities and secretarial services. Hold business meetings or conferences in our versatile meeting rooms accommodating 18-550 guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Singapore Hotel Singapore
- Hilton International Singapore
- Singapore Hilton International