“Heartless hotel”

Hilton Singapore
Ranked #66 of 314 Hotels in Singapore
“Heartless hotel”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for 3 days,for location,I stayed here because I know the reputation n it's worldwide...N I saw in it was recommended also by trip advisor.In my mind this hotel would treat the cust well..
2 days of staying everything runs well...
At my last day, on 29 Oct at 4.00 am,while my family was sleeping, I heard an alarm ringing...I am with my family, 2 senior age 65 above,my sis,her husband,1 nephew,1 niece n last me...
We were very shock so as I know we should go to the fire exit n never use lift...so I use stairs..I only bring my passport..N we were divided into 2 groups because my sister has to rescue her mom in law n dad in law, so I bring my niece down from 16 to basement...
At the basement,I found an officer and he said that it was a false alarm.he said it's there's no fire, it comes from the water pump...somethings wrong in it.
What I feel dissapointed and heartless hotel is because, they even didn't offer us drinks or anything,we are very shock at that time, mostly senior.in the lobby I also saw there's an older man fall down because after going through several level to rescue himself...the crew hotel only him to wake up n sit...n actually all we need is not only saying sorry,in that situation, after tired, we also feel dizzy and a lil very thirsty almost dehaydrated.when we want to go back to our room, the crew was not helping much,they only say wait...we wait for almost half an hour to get us back to our room.when we arrived at the lobby from the basement,we saw the crew was very calm...I was so regret, even if it's the false alarm,even in the fire exit there's no hotel crew there.what happened if there's someone injured there...
I was really dissapointed with what happened..it seems like the hotel just taking us as customer as granted. I hope with the 5 star hotel reputation, they should serve us better n more with heart...please take care of your customer well..

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Margareath
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Margareath,

Thank you for staying at Hilton Singapore, it was a pleasure having you and your family with us.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience you experienced from the false alarm, which affected an otherwise pleasant stay. Your feedback is very important to us and has helped us identify what we can improve in such situations.

The safety and well-being of all our guests is of the utmost importance to us. At the same time, we recognise that the communication after the “All Clear” message could have been handled better. We have since reviewed our processes and are retraining our team members to be sensitive to the needs of our guests.

We appreciate your honest review and hope that we will have another opportunity in the future to extend the true and warm Hilton hospitality that we always strive to deliver. Thank you once again for staying with us.

Alain Mahillon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The location is good, a couple of minutes walk away from the underpass at Wheelock to get to Orchard MRT.

Upon arrival, luggage was swiftly collected, and check in was quick. Upgraded to a club floor room.

The room was super clean; and was kept that way. Beds are super comfy, but as others have mentioned, the bathroom is small. I dislike the tub&shower combo, but got used to it after awhile. At least, I prefer this over shower-only hotel rooms; sometimes we'd like a relaxing soak over the weekend! The toiletries are of great quality, and you can see, they really try to make the best of the bathroom- the marble is beautiful, but nothing can be done with the size, as the structure is old and built in the 70s. Water pressure is acceptable, but not the best.

My room was on the upper floors (club), but it still had traffic noise.

Room service is prompt, and the food is good. Yes, it is expensive; but on par with other 5-star hotels in Singapore. Had buffet breakfast in the coffee house during a weekend and it was a madhouse- food was below average for a 5-star hotel. I retreated to room service for the other mornings, and they were always served with a smile.

The experienced staff members are great- you can see that they are slightly senior, and must have been with the hotel for a long time. Polite and efficient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank fredd0
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear fredd0,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Singapore, we are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us.

It is good to know that you were happy with our room and quality of our room service. My Food and Beverage team have noted your comments regarding our breakfast buffet and will take steps to review and ensure the high quality of our food offerings.

My team are grateful for your kind feedback on their warmth and friendliness, and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Singapore.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Hilton hotel always makes me comfortable regardless of where I am. In this hotel, the location is good, along Orchard Road. Its a bit old, but nice and efficient. walking distance to shopping malls. There are other otels in this area, but my choice is Hilton. Regards, Virginia Goh.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Ms Goh,

Thank you for making Hilton Singapore your hotel of choice in Singapore. It is a pleasure knowing that you always enjoy comfortable stays with us.

We really appreciate your continued patronage and look forward to being of service to you again when you next return to Singapore.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The plug sockets in the hotel didn't work, the internet was extremely overpriced, the staff was complacent... Luggage took hours to find its way to our rooms. Was a stressful experience. Definitely will not be staying in the hilton again! Was not worth the convinience to orchard road at all!! Go stay in one of the boutique hotels or the fullerton hotels or marina bay and hop on the mrt. Hilton was shocking, customer service was extremely poor.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank wonderappetite
Dear suyincook,

I am very sorry to learn that your recent experience at Hilton Singapore was disappointing for you.

Your feedback is very important to us and I wish to assure you that my team are doing their utmost to uphold the high standards of the products and services expected of a luxury hotel. We do indeed recognise the importance of due attention that must be given to all our guests and this is being heavily reinforced in our process reviews and on-going training programmes.

Thank you for staying with us. Whilst you have indicated otherwise, we hope that you will grant us another opportunity to extend the warm hospitality and exemplary service that we always strive to deliver.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel about three dozen times in the past 10 years, including five or six stays this year alone. As a frequent business traveler, what I appreciate most about the Hilton Singapore is that I feel very welcome here, like a home away from home. Yes, the hotel is older than some others in Singapore but everything seems to work well and is clean. Sure, the prices can be high but this is Singapore we are talking about, not Kansas City. And this is a Hilton, not a Four Seasons so you should not arrive with that level of expectation. Still, I find the staff goes out of their way to make the guest experience a happy one and most people I talk to seem to enjoy the hotel and its location. If you are a business person traveling alone, the room size and bathrooms are just fine. As a frequent guest in the Executive Lounge, I would say it's a very nice facility and the only recommendation would be for either a greater selection of foods or more variety in the rotation of food selections on a daily basis.

Room Tip: If you need a taxi at a certain time, be sure to book one through the hotel staff. If not, you will...
Dear Jon5839,

Thank you for your continued patronage at Hilton Singapore. It is our pleasure to be your home away from home!

My team are very encouraged to learn that their warm and friendly service has contributed postively towards your stay experiences with us. We have noted your feedback on the food selection in the Executive Lounge and will duly address this point.

We look forward to seeing you again when you next return to Singapore.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I travel to Singapore twice a year for business. We've stayed at the major hotels on Orchard Road, and Marina Bay. The Hilton is just OK. We stay here only when our client runs conferences at this hotel, because it's convenient. But our favorite hotel is the Pan Pacific Marina Bay.

The Hilton Orchard Road rooms are small and a bit rough around the edges. Cramped bathrooms definitely in need of an update. Wifi is expensive, even on the exec levels - US $20 per person.

We stay on one of the executive levels and use the executive lounge every day. The breakfasts are adequate. Nothing special, but good enough for a quick morning coffee and a light breakfast. They play monotonous pop music all day, so I find it very distracting to work in the executive lounge.

The meetings room are nice, though. And the staff is cordial. Not especially gracious, but nice enough.

In the evenings, the lounge is a nice spot for cocktail before dinner.

Speaking of food, it's not so great here. We've ordered room service a few times, and always regret it. During our conferences, we have lunch in the Checkers Brasserie on the ground level. They have a fairly good buffet with a variety of hot and cold options.

We swim a mile every day, and the 20 meter pool is good for laps. I believe it's a saltwater pool because I never notice a chlorine smell.

Overall, the Hilton average for a Singapore hotel. It's a good location on Orchard Road, but I'd opt for the Pan Pacific across the street. Much nicer rooms, better food, and a big pool.

2 Thank JohnSturtevant
Dear JohnSturtevant,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hilton Singapore, it was a pleasure having you and your wife with us.

We really appreciate your insights on the hotel, our service and facilities because they help us identify areas that require improvement. Please be assured that my team are using your feedback to address the issues you have brought up, so that all our guests may enjoy seamless stay experiences with us.

With regards to internet access, we understand the importance of this service for our guests. In addition to paid internet access in the guest rooms, we offer complimentary WiFi access in our Executive Lounge and public areas. Moreover, in recognition of their loyalty, our Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members benefit from complimentary WiFi internet access during their stay.

We are pleased to note that you were happy with our meeting facilities and enjoyed cocktails in our Executive Lounge and the buffet spread at Checkers Brasserie.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back in the future, whether for a conference or holiday. My team would be delighted to extend the warm hospitality and exemplary service that
they always strive to deliver.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Hey, if you want comfort, accessibility to everything, a friendly staff and a good breakfast, this is your place. Walk to food, shopping, bars, and anything else you need. ATM's are tough to find in this area, but if you walk out and turn left to the corner then left again there is a Citibank up on the right or across the street is Orchard Towers and there are ATM's in there up the steps the left. I found the staff to be smiling and helpful and the rooms are well done. Taxis are usually waiting outside for patrons to take you to your favorite destination.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite Orchard Road. Overlooking the road it can get a little buzzy with some of t...
1 Thank Brewski00
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Brewski00,

Thank you for staying at Hilton Singapore, it is always a pleasure to know that our guests have experienced a pleasant stay with us.

It is most encouraging for my team to receive your compliments and to know that you felt well-looked after during your stay. We certainly look forward to seeing you again when you next return to Singapore.