“The Orchid Club reception is very very rude”

PARKROYAL on Kitchener Road
Ranked #93 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
KL
“The Orchid Club reception is very very rude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

I booked this club room is because of the Internet Connection package. However it turn out worst things ever happen to me. The club reception so rude after i asked to waive the club package and replace me with the standard room. This is because i can't use thier internet. He never say sorry and show any espression of regret. Not recommned if you are on bussiness stay. AVOID this hotel

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2008

This Hotel has to be up there with the best. The service was so personal,helpful, and friendly. The room was large, spotless and beautiful.The location was excellent, so close to all the great shopping. I filled in the guest comment form and received a letter from the Manager after I arrived back home.(He didn't offer me a free stay next time though.Ha HA.) But when I am next in Singapore, this Hotel is the only place I will stay. Keep up the excellent work.

• Liked — Friendly service. Cleanliness.Food.Room facilities. Taxi availability.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank joanne46
Cornwall ,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

We stayed at this hotel when it was the New Park and it was awfull. However after a refurbishment and a change of name it has vastly improved. Our room was on a smoking floor, the corridor stank of smoke but luckily the room itself was ok
All the fixtures and fittings were in good order except the room safe which had been left locked by a previous occupant.They gave us a safety deposit box at reception instead at no charge.The reception staff were always very busy and sometimes it took a while to be seen. The pool area was very clean and tidy and the pool was a welcome relief after a days shopping as it stays open until 10pm.
There was however on worrying moment when the fire alarms went off one afternoon.We walked down the stairs as instructed on the poster to end up in the shops under the hotel where there was no member of staff present to tell us where to go and all the shop staff were working normally through the racket of the alarms.We found our way outside and walked around to reception where they were also working normally.Once again noboby told us what was happening.It turned out to be a false alarm but it would have been nice to have members of staff tell us what was happening and where to go as there were several very confused people milling around.
As mentioned by previous reviewers the hotel is very close to an MRT station and the Mustafa centre (a must to visit) which is now open 24 hours a day and they are building a new mall just across the street which will be open the middle of 2009.
We did'nt eat at the hotel so cannot comment on that but watch the prices for food and drink as one couple at the pool were billed S$ 30 for 2 beers!!!

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Lack of communication from the staff when the fire alarms went off.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RogerH
Muscat, Oman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel when it was called New Park Hotel and also stayed there after it was refurbished and now called Park Royal Hotel. Let me tell you there is a lot of difference in the quality of rooms. The rooms are now really high class which was not the case before. With the LCD TV, excellent furniture and an exceptional bathroom it really has a class look. The location is good for tourists, it is just walking distance from Mustafa shopping center and little India where most people shop. It is now an ideal place for people to stay.

• Liked — High class rooms, good service, good location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank harishbala
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2008

First up, we booked our stay through a travel agent who used some sort of QANTAS holidays booking process to get us rooms at a rate considerably cheaper than some other reviewers describe. I'd recommend doing this.

You will either love or loathe the hotel's location in the Little India district. We loved it. Little India was an interesting cultural surprise and as vegetarians we delighted in the many cheap and interesting Indian vegetarian food options around. It is a quick walk to the MRT station so getting around was not problematic. However, if you are coming to Singapore for the shopping rather than the food, or if you are easily offended by unusual food smells or poorly maintained footpaths, you may be better off finding a more central hotel.

Our biggest gripe about this hotel was having booked a double room and then being given a twin instead. Annoying - and I see at least one other reviewer on this site had a similar experience.

Having said that, otherwise the hotel was fine. Comfortable rooms, very polite staff, etc. I would stay there again if in Singapore.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — not getting the type of room we booked!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RoomGeek
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2008

After two weeks at this hotel, I expect I will have some issues that others will not.

Overall, first impressions? Very nice, classy contemporary decor, nice staff, nice room.

The location is slightly away from the middle of things, but the MRT and buses are right next door, so getting around is no problem. I stayed here, as I had no need to be closer into town, so was seeking better value.

Negatives on my trip? Housekeeping calling me on the phone,'because your do not disturb sign is on', to ask if I wanted laundry delivered. Coming back one night to find Housekeeping had left the security bar flipped over on my door, and the room open. Housekeeping calling on a Sunday morning to ask if I had laundry to drop off. Checking in to realise that the room had no desk chair, and the room safe had been locked open by the previous guest. Rather a meagre breakfast for the price of hotel. In two weeks, they only went beyond melon cubes for fresh fruit on two occasions (once pineapple, the other time dragon-fruit), this in a country where tropical fruit is so abundant and cheap. Enquiring if they had any cheese, I was told that it would be charged as an extra. You did get something of a feeling that they provided nothing that you could walk out with. Compare what was on offer with say the Prince Hotel in KL.

I was told that if I checked out early, I would pay one nights room-rate as a penalty. On re-checking this, I was told that this was not so, and offered the managers card in case I had further issues.

I had a good stay, but not sure I'd choose to spend two weeks in this location again. As others have said, I'll add that the cost of hotels in SG is now totally horrendous. After add-ons I was paying over US$200 a night, which even a year ago would have got you something really special.

Good luck to anyone trying to find a hotel during the Singapore grand prix.

p.s. Mustaffa Centre is a must, ended up buying a fridge and washing machine there - definitely good value!

• Liked — modern, clean, friendly
  • Disliked — expensive, rather disjointed service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank LondonGenie
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We stayed at this hotel on the way back from Australia. I am so glad it was for less than 24 hours! Immediately on arrival it became apparent that this hotel was very dated and the reception area had quite a depressing look about it with paint work chipped and tired looking. On booking in, there was confusion about whether breakfast had been paid for, for our children (which it had) and this took a while to sort out. We again had this query when we went for breakfast the following morning, but this time it was if any of us had breakfast included! The family room was two adjoining rooms and was dated and tired looking, with wood work chipped and dirty. The curtains were filthy and the sheets had a hole in. The whole presentation was dark, dingy and depressing. One of the robes provided had a stain on the back. The only ok thing about the hotel was the breakfast which the children enjoyed as they could have pancakes freshly cooked. However the ceiling of the restaurant looked like it belonged in a factory with all the pipework exposed. The pool area was ok but all the tables were full of dirty crockery when we arrived for a swim. Overall very disappointing. All of this I will be feeding back to our travel agent.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family