“Excellent boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel 1929

Hotel 1929
Ranked #132 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here for two nights at a special rate they were offering while the hotel undergoes renovation.

The hotel is charming, and the staff courteous, always greeting me by name when I arrived back; and were gracious enough to allow me to shower ahead of my evening flight. Yes the room was small, but the space is used well, bedding is comfortable, and the wet room concept and sharing of shower/toilet, wasn't a problem. No problems with noisy a/c when I was there.

Location if good with two MRT stations within walking distance, as well as the attractions and restaurants of ChinaTown.

I can't comment on breakfast as it was not being offered during the renovation.

If you hate nondescript skyscraper hotels, and prefer to stay somewhere with character in Sinagpore at a reasonable price, then I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the steeet side may be prone to noise from the adjacent Hindu temple, but they have bet...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cambus36
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Cambus36,

Warm greetings from the team at Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your generous recommendation.

We are truly pleased to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us, and that the team were ever welcoming and were always on-hand to help you. We look forward to having you with us again!

Until then, take care and safe travels!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The hotel itself was nice. The room was smaller than I expected, but the price reflected the room. It was a last minute reservation and Hotel 1929 was the cheapest place that had decent accommodations. Everything was clean, and the bed was comfy; however, it is right next to a Hindu temple and they bang these drums or something and play these horns way early in the morning which i wasnt too fond of.
Like I said, good value, clean room, not the best location right next to that temple, but an easy walk to many of the nice Chinatown restaurants

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Michael A,

Hellos from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We recognise that the neighbourhood can be rather lively, so we would be happy to offer and assist with a room change, should we have back-facing rooms available. That said, we are happy to note that you did enjoy the hotel overall and that you thought that the rooms were clean and of good value.

We hope to have you again when you are next in town!

Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Me & my husband was planning to stay for 2 nights initially for a weekend getaway but it turned out to be so disappointing and we had to shorten our stay to 1 night only.

We read reviews at Tripadvisor before making reservation and were fully aware that some people felt the size of the rooms was an issue. Actually it was fine with us even though we were a bit surprised when we saw the basin was just next to the bed. But we like the hotel's ambiance so the small room was not an issue to us. However, we did not expect air con would be an issue instead. The wind blowing noise from air con was so loud and accompanied with water dripping noise through out the night so that we couldn't sleep well at all!

We called reception the next day to report this issue to them and wanted to get a room change actually but she only said she would send room attendant to check on it. After checking, housekeeping mentioned she needs to get outside contractor to fix the problem. Didn't want to go thru all these troubles, my husband went down to check with receptionist if we can get a room change but was rejected. When my husband was telling her the wind blowing sound from air con was too loud, she just simply replied: "but that was normal" with no apology giving. On top of that the reason she rejected our request was only because "keys were all prepared" even though arriving guests were not physically checked in yet.

To us it was ridiculous, why should we bare with the issue just because your receptionist was too lazy to prepare another set of keys after the room change? It's actually not that difficult to arrange a simple room change right?
We then decided to shorten our stay and booked with Naumi Liora just opposite and the service there was great! And we had a good night sleep.

Honestly speaking, we understand Hotel 1929 is currently under renovation and inconvenience was expected. We were happy to book under their renovation promo at reasonable rate. But price is not an issue to us. Moreover, we did not pay to get ourselves tortured there. The staff was lack of flexibility and left us such a bad impression. Too bad it's actually a lovely hotel itself with nice location but we don't think we will be choosing it again unless the air con issue is solved.

• Stayed: April 2013
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear unicornlady0519,

Greetings from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for taking time out to write this review.

We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. Upon receiving your feedback about the noise coming from the air-conditioning unit, we consulted with our contractor about the issue. It was advised to us that the noise emitted by the air-con in your room is typical of its model and make. That said, we will definitely look into ways to minimise the noise given off by the unit. We apologize that the noise issue adversely affected your sleep.

As we were undergoing renovations during your stay, many of our rooms were blocked off. The limited inventory of rooms, coupled with the fact that all other available rooms were already reserved, meant that we were unable to make a room change for you. We truly regret this unfortunate situation, and also that this information was not communicated clearly to you.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused. Please be assured that the issue has been rectified. We hope that you will not let this experience mar your impression of the hotel, and we also hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service to you again.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

So I stayed here almost 5 weeks over March and the staff at the hotel were brilliant and really got to know me. Nothing was too much trouble. I started in a single room which is pretty compact - I am 6'4" but you have everything you need and catered to a really high standard. Its sister hotel the Majestic is not too far away and well worth a visit to the gym facilities. Breakfast was a nod to both continental and the full english. The hotel has a lot of style and is very close to maxwell food court and other chinatown eateries. When my girlfriend arrived we moved into a double room, again compact however its not a hotel you want to spend the day in more a place to land.

Room Tip: There is a temple near by that will provide a wake up call - if you want a long lie in check where y...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Luckyduck240,

Warm hellos from the team at Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your generous compliments.

We are so pleased to hear that the team was nothing but wonderful to you during your long stay with us, and that you thought that the rooms were well-provided. We hope to further impress you when you next return.

Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

When the taxi dropped us off at Hotel 1929, we knew we had made the right choice. The ambiance of the building and the neighborhood are great. It's in Chinatown and a stone's throw from street markets and hawker food stalls. Check in was very smooth with very staff. Our room was very small, but we knew this by reading previous reviews and also realising that 140 square feet simply is not big. However, the space is utilized very well and the room was very comfortable, even if we did bump into each other now and then. Very comfy bed! The small outdoor patio on the second floor is a nice oasis and the included breakfast was delicious. This hotel is spotlessly clean throughout.
I would definitely recommend this boutique hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronnie1953
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Warm hellos, Ronnie1953!

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for your kind compliments of Hotel 1929! A small space is indeed a challenge to work with and we're glad we have met the basic needs of a modern traveller.

We're also pleased that you love the surrounding Chinatown as much as we do, and appreciate the recommendation to the rest of your friends travelling to this side of town!

Mae Noor
Marketing Communications Manager

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This restored shop-house hotel in bustling Chinatown is my favourite of the small boutique hotels in Singapore. My second floor superior double corner room was spacious; had individually controlled air-conditioning that worked well; and had plenty of daylight due to the three large double opening casement windows with wooden shutters on both sides of the room.
A continental buffet breakfast is included in the room rate - something very unusual in Singapore.
The room was spotlessly clean; the bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows; the shower was good and there were plenty of towels; the free wifi worked perfectly; there were plenty of power points to charge my various electronic gadgets; there was a small desk and various chairs; a flat screen TV; and a micro-mini-bar with free bottled water, a kettle, and tea and coffee were available.
And most importantly of all, the staff at this hotel are a delight and will go to any lengths to assist in making your stay enjoyable. Due to renovations currently underway, the lift was not in operation so staff happily carried my luggage up the stairs to my room. When I needed help with reloading my prepaid local SIM card, or when I needed currency changed, or batteries purchased for my computer mouse, or taxis hailed - nothing was too much trouble for the hotel staff. I used to try new boutique hotels every time I came through Singapore but this is my third time at Hotel 1929 and because I'm made to feel so welcome here, I feel my search is over and I will keep coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows. Some of the old Chinese shop houses that have been converted to hotels...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Warm Greetings from the team at Hotel 1929!

Thank you for your kind review, and continuous support of our hotel. We tried our best despite the space constraints of a conservations shop house and we're glad we're able to provide you with everything you need during your stay!

As always, we look forward to welcoming you back. Meantime, keep well and safe travels!

Best,
Mae Noor
Marketing Communications Manager

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Very close to the Maxwell Food Court, the night market, the MRT, and on a street that since I was there 3 years ago, has developed into an area that has it all. Small rooms so an upgrade is essential. Very good service from all of the staff. The breakfast is good. All round good accommodations.

Room Tip: Pay for an upgraded room. Worth it. Corner room very nice. Singapore accommodations are expensive. G...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear m f,

Greetings from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your kind feedback.

We are glad that you had a good time staying with us, and we certainly look forward to being of service to you again.

Safe travels, and hope to see you soon!