“Great Hotel and Location”

Grand Hyatt Singapore
Ranked #43 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
North Carolina
“Great Hotel and Location”
Reviewed June 1, 2007

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. It was a very good stay. their pool is large and beautifully decorated. Hotel is clean and staff are freindly. Hotel is located close to Orchard Rd ..... plenty of shopping. Will stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ms_Singer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We booked on the Hyatt website, a grand deluxe suite for a week of relaxation in Singapore. Booking conditions included charging your credit card by 2pm. I advised the hotel of our late arrival. However,
when we arrived the only suite they had left was on the 6th floor overlooking a building site and were warned of the noise. For $S510+++ per night! We were offered a club room at the same rate but declined and after 45 minutes were shown to a grand suite. The suite was slightly shabby, overlooking Orchard Rd with two bathrooms, living room, kitchenette etc and LIGHTFITTINGS HANGING FROM WIRES DANGLING FROM THE CEILING.

By this stage it was 3am so we unpacked for the night with the knowledge that the next day we were to transfer to the room type booked.

Later that morning we were shown to the room of the type we had chosen and packed our bags. It was just like the pictures on the website.

We returned to the hotel later that night to find our room not so cool, but were really tired so I showered and turned back the sheets to find them soiled !My husband screamed from the shower as he couldn't regulate the temperature. I called the duty manager and demanded he came to our room with maintenance and housekeeping. We waited an hour for the faults to be rectified and received many appologies. However it was our second room and our second night of disrupted sleep in the hotel. We asked to see the general manager in the morning.

We saw a senior manager who was also very appologetic, offered us various incentives to stay, credited our bill for one night's accomodation and provided a hotel car to transfer us to the Shangri La [the hotel we booked that morning which was subline]. I was not willing to pack AGAIN and try a third night in a third room at the Hyatt.

At the price we expected better. Why wasn't our room allocated if it was guarranteed by our credit card? Why was the hotel in such disrepair?

• Disliked — cleanliness, disrepair, large unwelcoming lobby
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank silver 57
San Carlos, California
Reviewed May 21, 2007

My wife and I are on day four of a six day stay here at the Grand Hyatt. Over-all I agree with all the reviews so far. I do have some comments to add however.

Room service, while fast, is of very mediocre quality and expensive. The breakfast buffet is very good but has exactly the same items every day. No variation whatsoever. Here are some examples of room service prices. Subtract 35% for USD. Add in about 30% in taxes and fees.

Continental breakfast: S$28 (~US$17)
American breakfast S$38
Breakfast buffet: S$35 ($48 with taxes and fees)

Hamburger: & fries: S$25 (tasted good but was VERY undercooked, basically raw even though I asked for well done)

Ham and cheese ciabiatta: S$22 (terrible sandwich, avoid)

Australian rib-eye steak: S$98
Tuna filet: S$35

Side dishes: S$11 – S$13

Bowl of penne (no meat): S$27

Soda (can): S$8

We had some laundry done. The prices are about S$12 per item. Our five items cost $60. Dry cleaning runs from S$12 to S$25 a piece. If they pick up by 10:00 am they have it back by 6:00 the same day. Add 50% for rush items.

The pillows are hard and thick. If this is an issue for you, they say they have additional pillows of different types available.

The internet connection is fairly fast but somewhat unstable. It costs S$25 a day.

When you check in be sure to ask for a room away from the construction next door which is VERY noisy. The work starts early in the morning and runs into early evening.

The location is awesome but you pay a price. Literally. Everything is expensive. For example, lunch that cost us S$60 would cost S$12 not six blocks away from the Orchard area.

Over all we love the area and the hotel is great as long as you can afford the exorbitant markup on everything.

• Liked — Location and great rooms
  • Disliked — Very expensive in every way
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank rboarman
jakarta
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We stay 4 nights at this hotel, and everything is a 5 star except tipping issue. We've read several times that tipping anywhere is discouraged in Singapore, and that's what we did. First incident when we arrived with just 1 luggage, and the porter deliver it to us, he gave me the confused look while looking at my empty hand. Second incident when the giant dark skin porter with long coat put our luggage to the taxi as we're leaving, he looked really pissed not getting any tip and slam the trunk with a fist.

Hyatt will be a 5 star experience if not for these 2 untrained unprofessional porters.

Stayed May 2007
3 Thank psifactor
New Jersey
Reviewed May 3, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for three nights in April/May. This is the best Hyatt I have stayed in bar none (I stay in about five Hyatts at year). The location is excellent on Scotts Road, just off the main shopping road, Orchard Road. Also, the MRT (Singapore's train system) is only a two minute walk from the hotel (on the corner of Orchard and Scotts).

Check-In:
Super-efficient and the staff was extremely professional and courteous the whole time. Even though I arrived at the hotel at 1030, my room was ready.

Room:
I booked the Grand Delxue room and was elated. The room is similar to an executive suite with its size, large work desk, and upgraded amenitites. The room was also very clean and well-stocked. I especially appreciated that the bathroom had the rainshower head. The only thing that I did not like were the two Bang & Olfusen TVs (one in the living room and one in the bedroom); I could not understand how to turn the TV in the living room off from the confusing remote control. Other than this minor problem, the room was everything I wanted and more.

Restaurants:
I had room service the first day I arrived: a hamburger with fries and chocolate cake for dessert. The meal arrived within 30 minutes during lunchtime, it was elegantly prepared, and tasted delicious. Also, my special requests were all honoured.

I also ate at Pete's Place (Italian Restaurant) in the basement for lunch. I had the buffet and it also was excellent for 26SGD. The meal included many main courses, appetisers, and dessert.

Exercise/Spa:
This hotel has a nice exercise facility with personal trainers available. The cardio machines were not the latest Life Fitness equipment with the LCD TVs built-in to the on-board electronics but were the previous generation (still modern and good and had separate LCD TVs). The best part about the facility was the steam room in the men's locker room. The temperature was set high enough for an excellent steam. I find in many of the locker rooms, the steam room's temperature is not set high enough for it to be meaningful.

The hotel also has a pool outside the exercise facililty and a mini-pool inside the men's locker area that seems to be nice, but I did not venture in it. Also, there are many spa treatment rooms in the health centre, but again, I did not use the spa services. Everything was clean and in order though.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay because the hotel was extremely clean, staff very professional and courteous, and the location was excellent.

• Liked — You need to use your hotel key to use the elevator (for security)
  • Disliked — TVs in the room are confusing to use
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank johnivan521
The World
Reviewed April 26, 2007

It was a bit strange looking for the reception desk at the Hyatt as it is tucked in behind a room but a quick question to the doorman pointed me to right direction. I was quickly checked in despite arriving early again (10 AM) and was in my deluxe king room a few minutes later.

The room is a large size with a contemporary decor and furniture. The nicest point of the room is little balcony like room at the corner with chairs and a table. Perfect for having a afternoon tea or watching the busy street below. The bed is very comfortable with plenty of down pillows. The sheets is as white as they can be. Just a great place to jump in and have a nap after a long flight.

The walk-in marble bathroom with separate bathtub and shower is the larger than either the Pan Pacific and the Marina Oriental. Amenities are well stocked with quality shampoo, conditioner and lotions.

The service is attentive and security seems to be less stringent than the hotels in the Marina locations. The lobby seems to be pretty busy all the time. The breakfast buffet is quite good although they are not a good value as there is a hawker center near by.

The location of the Hyatt is great, right in the action of the Orchard road, yet just far enough from the MRT entrances to have some quietness if you need it. A nice hotel in an excellent location.

• Liked — Service and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank terravisum
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 27, 2007

FANTASTIC HOTEL amazing rooms, plasma tv's huge bathroom, massive beds, clean. room service quick effieient and friendly.

pool is amazing

overall this hotel exceeded all my expectations
dont stay anywhere else... ive been to singapore many times and hyatt is my favourite. perfect stay

• Liked — location, rooms and service
  • Disliked — nothing