“Service not what it used to be...”

Grand Hyatt Singapore
Ranked #39 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Service not what it used to be...”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

From 12-14 April, 2013, my partner and I spent the weekend in Spre. We decided to stay at the Grand Hyatt, for nostalgic reasons, having stayed there several times approximately ten years ago. We booked a Club Room as we always enjoy being able to relax in Club lounges, reading the paper, and having snacks and drinks.
The positive part of our stay was the Club room allocated to us on the 17th floor - it was very pleasant and had all the features that we enjoy from Club rooms, in terms of size, cleanliness, and quality. It was also very quiet and most comfortable, with a sofa, TV in the lounge area and another in the bedroom.
From the time we checked in, however, the service at the Hyatt was lacking. The reception desk appeared to have limited staff and the young lady behind the desk was fussing around looking for some document totally unrelated to our check in, while we stood there waiting. Then she could not find our confirmed booking so I had to show her the confirmation email on my Blackberry phone. At no stage were we advised by the reception staff that we could check in on the 20th floor as we had booked a Club room.
Even on the next day, Saturday afternoon, there was only one staff member at the reception desk, checking guests in, and handling inquiries, so changing money at the desk meant another wait.
On the evening of 12 April we decided to order room service: one fish and chips; one fish and mashed potato; one salad; and one scoop of ice cream. The bill came to S$120. No problem there as we know what to expect in 5 star hotels. What was disturbing, however, was that our order took approximately 1.15 minutes to be delivered, despite two calls to check status. When the food finally came, the french fries were limp and luke warm; the pieces of fish were very small; and the ice cream fast melting. And no spoon to eat the ice cream with! After I complained twice about our order, we were eventually not charged for this meal, which, under the circumstances, would have been a major rip off.
On Sat., 13 April at 2pm I went to the Club lounge on the 20th floor, expecting there to be some small snacks. All that was available were commercially packed crisps and peanuts, with some biscuits. No cakes, no other snacks. (Incidentally, one young woman at the lounge had ordered a sandwich for which she had been waiting for more than 30 mins. She later told me that the day before her order had taken 45 mins…So obviously the Hyatt kitchen is either short-staffed or unable to cope with the volume of food orders, for whatever reason. )
It seems that the Hyatt Club caters more for guests visiting the lounge from 6-8pm, during which time there is alcohol served (we don't drink), with hot and cold food. For what we paid (S$1,100 for two nights) I had expected to have more selection at the Club lounge during the afternoon tea period. Otherwise there is not much benefit staying in a Club room, except for the free breakfast -also somewhat limited, serving mainly eggs, fried potatoes and tomatoes, with the usual spread of cereals and yoghurt, plus some dim sum and small sausages. Enough food but whether one needs to stay in a Club room to enjoy such a spread is debatable.
Staff, in general, were very pleasant at the Hyatt which made up for the poor service. However, with so much competition these days in hotel choice, service needs to be focused on more.
Overall, great rooms, great location, pleasant staff but service lacking and Club lounge benefits are limited. Would I stay there again? Yes, but probably not pay for a Club room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IWin178000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Oslo
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Booked and got a Grand Deluxe King room.
The hotel has a very central location, close to Orchard Road and the shopping malls.
The room itself was nice.
I have stayed here several times, and noise has always been a problem for me at this hotel (constructions, street noise or neighbor activities).
Last stay I was charged for use of the Wi-Fi (which is supposed to be free as an elite member in Hyatt, but then again, my impression is that this hotel do not care at all about the member status).
Even if the hotel itself is nice, I have to say that this is not my first choice when in Singapore. I am giving this hotel a 4 star rating under doubt. No need to ask for special request when booking at this hotel, they do not care and do not read it.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, be aware of noise from street level and from nearby construction site. A...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2013

For business or holidaying, this hotel is almost unbeatable in terms of service and location. The staff at the Grand Club cannot do enough, and seem to always remember guests. The only downside is the slightly seedy bar/club downstairs. Would be nice to see Singapore hotels move with the times on this.

Room Tip: I prefer the garden wing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was a guest of the hotel the other evening for a brief stay over on my way to Thailand. I booked my room using Gold Passport points and was very pleasantly surprised to also receive an upgraded room. The front desk associate escorted me to my room and completed the check in process in my room via an iPad. So nice to be seen directly to my room with the luggage arriving shortly after (which they insisted carrying for me). The personal note from the hotel manager and small touches like fresh fruit and chocolate chip cookies made me feel special. The hotel pool, bar area and outdoor restaurant was pleasant. I had a fantastic spa experience as well.

This hotel is very polished, up to date and has everything you need, including conveniences just outside the door of the hotel ( shopping mall, 7-11 and restaurants).

5 star service to boot! Highly recommend to anyone looking for a very reliable centrally located Simgapore hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Hotel is ideally located at Scott Road, the central of everything; Food, shopping, entertainment, business, MRT Station, anything you just name it.

Check in was seamless. William looked into every detail of my booking and politely reminded me that the room could be a bit noisy at times due to the refurbishment program going on.

Room is nice. Simply decor, cozy and spotless. There are some areas the management should look into ensuring better service rendered. Only two bottles of mineral water were allocated each day which was far insufficient as Singapore is hot all year round. It is unusual for a 5-star hotel without turn-down service. Normally, mineral water will be replenished during evening’s turn down. The marble bathroom is nice but no slippers were supplied in the room. This is not good as it was very uncomfortable to stand bare footed on the cold marble floor brushing teeth or urinates.

Breakfast spread in the Straits Kitchen restaurant was outstanding. The chef will walk around every table ensuring all the guests are well take care.

Catching a cab on weekend could be a challenge as the queue is always long. They should allocate specific line for in house guests like what some other hotel chains in Singapore are practicing.

Overall, the Grand Hyatt is a nice, convenient hotel with impeccable service. Looking forward to stay at the hotel again once the renovation is completed. I am curious how the newly renovated room will look.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just got back from a business trip to Singapore and wanted to try the Hyatt as I'm on their loyalty program and could upgrade to a club room. The Hyatt is in a very good location with a great selection of restaurants and bars (Sunday brunch at Mezza 9 is the best champagne brunch in singapore in my view) but what really stood out was the service. I was a little disappointed with our first room because it was in an area being refurbished, nothing major, but John the duty manager made a huge effort to ensure we were happy which was very much appreciated. We had a great stay.

• Stayed April 2013
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in late March. The hotel is in an excellent location close to Orchard Rd (100m). We were upgraded to a suite and appreciated having the extra space and free Internet. The decor of the room was a little tired but clean and spacious. Only minor issue we encountered is that when using the remote for the TV in the sitting room, it would often also turn on the TV in the bedroom. Staff were courteous, pleasant and helpful. We did not use the pool but did notice that it looked smaller and not as nice as the website. We ate in Pete's Place (Italian restaurant) one night and the food was excellent, but staff were perhaps too attentive (our mains arrived before we finished our starters) and we felt rushed through our meal, although they were more than happy to leave us be once we had finished our meals to finish our bottle of wine. They are undergoing renovations but we did not notice this at all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple