“Wonderful hotel in prime location”

The Fullerton Hotel Singapore
Ranked #22 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
york
“Wonderful hotel in prime location”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The room was spacious clean with a balcony over looking the city and the bay. The bathroom was of a good size with a separate shower and bath.
The service at the hotel was impeccable. The breakfast was extensive with options from all over the world. The main foyer is beautiful with a wonderful area for afternoon teas.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We spent there 1 night after a night in MBS and we were not disappointed. The hotel( being old post office) has that old classical charm...Everybody from reception to the pool guys.concierge and guys checking if you have everything in your room straight after check-in were super friendly and professional. We had inside room which was looking inside the reception but I really liked the room. Massive bed, super big bathroom( shower and big bathtub) very nice flooring...super cozy and in the same time luxurious room. We used the pool and I also liked it view over Boat Quay..
The location of the hotel is fantastic closed to MRT station, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay..super.The breakfast was with massive choice. I have never seen sooo much choice for breakfast, so well done for that.
Overall fantastic hotel with no faults at all...and after night in super modern MBS I liked this classical and charming place. 5 Starts from us. Well done.

Room Tip: If you can afford take room wit MBS view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barabbas_10
Sydney
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Had two large interconnecting rooms on the 8th floor which were spacious but didn't have a great view. The pool and gym are great. The breakfast was extensive and the service attentive. It is very convenient to Great restaurants and they have their own minivans for a large family to move around the sights of Singapore. Liked to have stayed longer but enjoyed the atmosphere none the less. Great Christmas decorations were a bonus.

• Stayed December 2013
Arlington, VA
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying twice at the Fullerton Hotel about ten years ago for business. At the time, the hotel was the best hotel where I had stayed at in the world. Fast forward ten years to 2013 when I decided to arrange a holiday for my girlfriend and I to Singapore. Although my previous experience with the Fullerton had been for business, I decided to go with the Fullerton due to its location within the city, the fabulous breakfast buffet, and the quality of service. My only reservation was that many years had passed since my last visit, and hotels, even the best ones, sometimes falter in quality due to complacency.

Since I started planning our trip over six months in advance, I was able to secure a good rate and request a quay room with a Marina Bay view. Although I received written confirmation of my request for the view, I was skeptical if they would remember six months later when we checked in. We arrived at the hotel after midnight. The bellhop took care of our luggage and delivered it to our room. The check-in process went smoothly, and the staff even anticipated my questions about the breakfast (which I made sure to include in our rate) and wireless internet (which worked flawlessly during our stay). And indeed we were placed in one of the Marina Bay facing quay rooms on the sixth floor of the hotel.

The room was just about perfect for our purposes: gorgeous daytime and nighttime view of the Marina Bay, spacious washroom, all the requisite amenities, and outstanding housekeeping twice a day. As an iPrestige member, we also received complimentary bottled water which is a nice touch given the heat and humidity in Singapore. I think some might consider the room itself small, but I thought that any additional space would simply have been wasted on us (staying as a couple). We probably should have looked more at the pillow menu offerings, but it was hard to say how much our exhaustion was due to jet lag coming from North America and how much was due to the bedding. Towards the end of the trip I was sleeping like a baby.

The room alone was worth the price of admission, but we also enjoyed the breakfast buffet each day of our stay. We also dropped by the Post Bar for an evening drink and snack on two occasions. And on our last evening we treated ourselves to sweets from the Fullerton Cake Boutique. We didn't get a chance to use the swimming pool on this trip, but from my previous experience, I enjoyed spending time there, just wading in the infinity pool overlooking Boat Quay.

One of the consistent highlights from my most recent stay and prior visits ten years ago is the quality of service exhibited by all the staff (i.e. bellhop, housekeeper, hostess, concierge, etc.). Everyone is friendly and will do what is necessary to meet (and occasionally exceed) one's needs. On this visit, we had been putting off dinner reservations until the afternoon prior to dinner. The concierge offered a pair of suggestions, made the reservations on my behalf, and hand-delivered the reservation confirmation to our room.

The hotel location is also hard to beat, whether in Singapore for business or for pleasure. Downtown and Boat Quay are within a short walking distance, and many other locations can also be reached on foot. For exploring Singapore, we picked up a tourist passes for the MRT (Singapore mass transit system), and the Raffles Place stop is a mere 5-10 minutes away on foot.

The Fullerton Hotel is definitely geared more for the business traveler, but at the same time it affords a sense of classic elegance to the more casual traveler. For example, we arrived at the beginning of the Christmas holiday season, and the hotel lobby had numerous holiday decorations. Musicians performing live Christmas music was also a really nice touch for those enjoying their afternoon tea in the lobby area.

Perhaps I am blinded by my multiple, positive experiences at the Fullerton in Singapore, but I do not have any negative criticisms to add to this review (or they were so inconsequential than listing them would be petty on my part). I don't think that the hotel is for everyone - it is expensive, although the cost is in-line with other five-star hotels. As of right now, the Fullerton is still one of the top two or three hotels where I have stayed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Markus1995
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Straits club room was worth the added expense if you love breakfast and want to experience high tea. The breakfast had buffet and custom choices for both Asian and American/British breakfast and the high tea in a reserved part of the lobby came with your choice of beverage and lovely snacks all free. The room was large with an awesome bathroom with separate walk in multispray shower, bathtub, W.C. Room and automated controls for all lts and drapes near bedside. The fitness area open 24/7 was equipped , there is also an outdoor pool and spa. Multiple restaurants in the hotel and the lower floor has access to one Fullerton place on the river without trying to cross traffic.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Forfar, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I booked the 6 course Chinese meal with free flowing Champagne for New Year. This also came with a band and a balloon drop. The service inside the restaurant was really good and so was the band.

The most disappointing thing about the evening. Was waiting 3 hours in a q at the hotel for a taxi and never got one. When my husband and I went to see if we could flag one down there was 5 white limo taxis cars sitting in the tunnel round the corner from the hotel when I asked the taxi driver if we could get a taxi he said its a 60 dollar booking fee but you have to book that at the hotel. We had a 7 seater car take us to the hotel and the booking fee for that was only 18 dollars. When I asked at the desk for the manager I heard the staff at desk saying it was 60 dollars booking fee for a taxi, when I questioned the hotel he denied it.

I would suggest organising your own taxis when staying at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lawriesj
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed on 20 Dec 13 in a courtyard room. Beneath its gorgeous and historic shell, the rooms are dated and the service delivery is expedient bordering impatient.
First impressions: hotel was very crowded and noisy from a themed corporate dinner event. Ambience definitely not what you would expect from a luxury hotel.
Check-in: staff was inflexible and impatient. Asked for late check-out, but was denied at first instance. Had to escalate to her supervisor. While I was speaking, she pushed a form and interrupted me midway to request I sign it, which I thought was rude. Essentially, I got the feeling that she wanted to process me ASAP and move on.
Room: dated but clean and spacious. Bath was nicely done with separate bath and shower.
Breakfast: good spread, but crowded. There was a line for breakfast, first time that I had experienced in a "luxury" hotel. Here's the kicker: at the traditional toast live station, i requested for a butter toast (i.e. No kaya - which is a local traditional jam). The staff immediately denied the request saying that it standard (i.e. The toast must be spread with kaya + butter). I fail to understand how challenging can it be for the staff to prepare a set without kaya.
We sat al fresco, so a bird came swooping down on our breakfast when we were away. Staff Jenelyn conscientiously stood by our table to inform us when we got back, and facilitated our transfer to another table.
Check-out: was a mess because of the crowd. But staff Harris handled it well.
Others: bake shop staff Paul's service was sincere and friendly. Kudos.
In summary, the property can have a nice exterior. But properly trained staff makes a real difference, especially when it's supposed to be a luxury hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends