“Drinks and dinner at the Fullerton”

The Fullerton Hotel Singapore
Ranked #21 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I met with a friend at the Fullerton Hotel for drinks. The hotel was great! ... it had a very nice lobby.

We went straight to the Post Bar which was look lively. Service could have been much better. I felt that they were short on staff and the people that were there were not as attentive.

We order some food from Jade and I was very impressed with the Wasabi Shrimp. However, they were charging a lot of money for very very very small quantities. Between me and my friend, we ordered two dishes at first and clearly it wasn't enough to even satisfy one of us. I was quite disappointed with that.

Will I go back to this hotel? - not sure ... maybe for drinks during happy hour and perhaps just for the Wasabi Shrimps.

Oh the Chinese restaurant doesn't have any dim sum ...not that I expect all the Chinese restaurants to have them. But yeah I really wanted some that day so its just something I thought was worth mentioning.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank fhuda
Write a ReviewReviews (3,869)

Reviewed May 24, 2011

I stayed here with my husband and two young children for two nights on our way to Europe. Our stay and experience was unbelievable - it was absolute luxury!! Our room was opulent, comfortable and refreshingly cool (it was very hot in Singapore). We had a quay side room with a large balcony from which to take in the incredible view of the river, 'old' and 'new' Singapore and the two bridges (which looked stunning when lit up at night). Our children were absolutely delighted with everything the hotel had to offer and it has set the benchmark for them. The kids are still talking about the amazing breakfasts, the beautiful pool (overlooking the river), which we felt we had all to ourselves, the giant fish in the hotel lobby pond and the excellent service from all the staff. I only wish I could be sitting on the gorgeous hotel terrace which overlooks the pool with a G&T in hand, totally pampered, right now.

Room Tip: Quay side rooms have a wonderful view.
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MissPS
Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stay here twice a year and have done so since the hotel opened aqnd have held a number of evening functions at the hotel.
Unfortunately The Fullerton do not give any credit or attach any importance to repeat and loyal customers.
We needed a late check out, but were only offered 2 hours, which is not worth a thing.

The hotel is nice but the service is very poor.

Shame the hotel does not value customers

Room Tip: Not a chance
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Marcvg
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I always stayed in Mandarin Oriental in Singapore but I liked the architecture of the Fullerton building and decided to give it a try. Well, the next time I shall be back in Mandarin Oriental I guess. Why? There were some details which spoiled the overall experience. The building is beautiful and in a very good location (although the former harbor has changed a lot since I visited Singapore the first time 10 years ago and the sea view disappeared as a result of the Sands hotel/casino monster). The room was clean and nice (I stayed in Heritage room) but this is what you expect in 5-star hotel anyway.
The swimming pool overlooking the "old Singapore" and Singapore river is spectacular.
We were travelling with a small kid and I obviously reserved a non-smoking room but upon our arrival (very late at night) we were assigned a room which was smoking in the past (or at least some guest was smoking in the room). They apparently tried to clean it but once somebody is smoking in a room with a carpet and fabric upholstery that room retain the typical smell for a very long time. I reported it to the front desk and they offered another room but something like this should not happen in the 5-star hotel in the first place. Also, the WC started to leak the water on the floor during our stay.
Couple days after departure I received an electronic questionnaire about my stay, reported the problems and checked the box that I would like to get the response. I have never heard from the Fullerton since then.
To make the long story short ... The Fullerton can be easily true 5-star property if it provides "5-star care" to its customers which does not seem to be the case. Also, the staff was nice and friendly ... but lacked the nobleness of people who are proud of serving their customers (compared with Mandarin Oriental).
To be fair ... the hotel provides free of charge high speed internet with an excellent bandwidth (both downlink and uplink).

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ED5611
Reviewed May 15, 2011

my partner and i stayed in The Fullerton on 1st may 2011. he aked me to marry him there!! it was a joy. the hotel staff made our stay extremely comfortable. everyone was friendly and smiled with their hearts. i travelled all over the world and can detect if their smiles are real or just for show. trust me, i can sense they are egar to make you happy. of cos there are some minor glitches, like when we were dining at the lighthouse, we were given a wrong order of food. but the service staff apologised and things was rectified immediately.

the pool was small, but thats understandable as the building is a historical building, but it is very romantic esp at night with the lights and the silence was appreciated. the pool boy there, a chinese lad was so helpfull with our request for drink orders and what impressed me was he got us extra towels when he saw us looking for it without us asking.

we had a couple's spa package at the hotel spa, could not remember the name. it was fantastic!! the people at the spa was so polite and treatments were explained to us even before our treatment started! the spa reception went thru details and made sure we were happy with the treatments and type of products used. usually when i went for sa treatments, the spa reception only asked me to fill a form, and treatment started without asking me what i like or dislike, this was practiced in banyan tree and spas in thailand and australia. i was pleasently surprised by their survice. the spa therapist was great, my therapist who was taiwanese spoke very little english but was attentive gave me extra towels to cover myself when she sense i was a little cold!

our chambermaid was a lovely chinese lady who never failed to smile and greet us with her warmest smiles during our 3 night stay there! it really made my day when i see her.

one very good thing abt The Fullerton was even after you check out, you could return and use the showers, the gym or pool before your leave for your flight at night. this was very much appreciated. i cannot recall any hotel that does that.

great job. however, getting a cab is a problem, take the subway instead.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nicolesianz
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I have travelled several times to the Fullerton. I had mixed feelings about this hotel (and still do) as its not your everyday business hotel.
Location is very nice and you can easily access all parts of town from there.

Service is good but not that impressive (getting in the hotel with your luggage and not having anyone to hold the door is never a good first impression).

The rooms are the main problem for me. If you like playing lottery, you'll be happy there. As this is (if I recall correctly) an old post office refurbished in a hotel, rooms can vary significantly in size and comfort. If you are lucky you get an outside view, if your not, you see the inside of the buidling (didn't call that a view because its not). If you face the inside, your room will look grey and light coming from outside will feel really dim.

The furniture in the room is fine but looks a lot like Ikea to me. Not that I dont like the Nordic style but I would expect either something more elaborated than Ikea in a top rated hotel.

The bed feels like climbing the Himalaya (seriously its the highest bed I've seen in the region). Its not a problem (you dont need a ladder no worries) but it feels strange as the comfort of the bed is good, but not that different from other hotels with lower beds!

The swimming pool is great and the even though it is small (not a real swimming distance if I recall properly) its a very pleasant place to hang out and relax after a day of hard work!

I have not tried the restaurants as I had breakfast lunch and dinner outside since it is walking distance from a lot of local restaurants.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms with a view on the outside!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Zion51
Reviewed May 7, 2011

We stayed here for a long weekend end February 2011.

There is no denying the Fullerton a beautiful hotel on the outside. However, the interior was not quite so. We had a corporate rate room with a courtyard view, which is not a view at all! While large in size, it was dark and lacked style or ambience. The decor was sparse and dull, and a little shabby. The bathroom was fine.

We didn't have time to use the pool, but it looked fab. We chose not to eat at the hotel. Overall our stay was ok.

But I was extremely disappointed with the 20 minute express manicure at their spa. The therapist spoke no English and seemed unsure of what to do, the end result was not good. Plus the nail area is not up to the standard you would expect in a major hotel. The furniture was tatty and the wall decoration of palm trees appallingly tacky. They could do so much better with a little effort.

Given the abundant choice of luxury hotels in Singapore next time I will try another one rather than return here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple