“ok place to begin your relocation to Singapore” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fraser Suites Singapore

Fraser Suites Singapore
Ranked #27 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Santa Monica, California
“ok place to begin your relocation to Singapore”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

I have to say after doing a few international relocation I've seen my share of extended stay apartments. Given that this was 4X what these suites generally cost I expected a spacious room and comfortable bed. When we walked in upon arrival we both burst out laughing. It was smaller than the hotel room we'd previously had downtown. The bed we affectionately referred to as "the plank."

The kitchen is pretty average for Singapore. Rage top, sketchy convection oven/microwave combo and poor quality pots and utensils. I did note they used Wedgewood for the tea service. The furniture was an odd mish mash of Ikea, and faux Perkanan/Victorian. There was no dinner table, but then again who cooks here? It's Singapore.

The pool area of beautiful, the gym is quite nice and all the staff were professional. We took advantage of the shuttle service and sometimes did the free breakfast downstairs.
Compared to the Fraser Place location (where our friends were stationed at the same time) this location is really family oriented. There's nothing much to do within walking distance and we soon tired of the few local restaurants. As a wife staying here with a husband working I'd have preferred to be in the Fraser Place location as this was a bit too isolating. I would recommend it if you have kids under 5 and want to stick close to home and meet other moms.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank typebug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Our family stayed at Fraser Suites serviced apartments in Singapore (on River Valley Road) for the first month of our expat assignment in Singapore. I wanted to write a review particularly for families with small children. This is a great place for kids. It has an indoor "Play Zone" that is huge. Repeat: it is indoor! We took the children to the play zone at least twice a day. It is large, clean, and very well maintained. There is also an outdoor area with plenty of toys and an old sc hool video game room, which was great.

The other highlight is the service. The staff at the front desk and housekeeping were great; but the cafe staff were exceptional.

This is in a wonderful central location. It is connected to a mall with a Cold Storage grocery store and a Starbucks. Extremely convenient. Fraser runs many free private bus shuttles throughout the day -- to the business district morning/evening and to major shopping areas all day.

We stayed in a two bedroom suite that had recently been updated. It was very modern, very nice. I am not sure that all of the rooms are renovated. I recommend you inquire about this when booking. This would be my only concern.

The free breakfast, pool, gym, business center and other amenities were great as well.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank rle99
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

Let's get something straight: Fraser Suites has three separate properties in Singapore and has nothing to do with 'Great World' that the previous reviewer wrote about. The River Valley location is part of Valley Point Shopping Center.

I have stayed with Frasers on numerous occasions for extended periods of time. They are a 'service apartment' hotel (for extended stays) and really don't court the nightly or a couple of nights market. This is also the tropics, so there are geckos (harmless, frightened lizards that eat insects) at times on the walls or ceilings (depending on your luck).

The old-fashioned furniture mentioned in other reviews is the Peranakan style, or Straits Chinese (and Malay) style, which is being phased out for ultra-modern chrome and glass decor, sadly. It's a shame people come with such ignorances.

Bottom line: the place is super clean, quiet, and with a ultra-friendly staff that will bend over backwards for you. The location is ideal for just about anything in Singapore and free transportation to major areas is provided. Five bus lines run outside the front door and cheap taxis are plentiful. The property is surrounded by shopping, local neighborhoods and a variety of nice restaurants to fit any taste or budget.

If you aren't satisfied here, you can't be satisfied.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank singabob
Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

In 2008-2009 I had the great pleasure of staying at Great World City (GWC) Serviced Apartments. This place has modern, spacious apartments and includes a magnificent pool, tennis court and more. It is also situated above a large, modern shopping mall. It's a shame to say it, but some days you do not even need to leave the complex.

When a colleague told me that he had stayed at Fraser Suites (FS) and that FS was an even better place I was truly intrigued.

Cut to the present day and I was given an opportunity to stay here. My company set up my apartment. I knew that as a sailor I may have to share a double apartment, but upon my arrival the reception staff informed me that I would have to actually share a room with another man. I was dumbfounded. I phoned my company and they confirmed that I should have my own room. The reception staff "discovered" an email (hard copy) just next to their phone informing them of this fact. I was then told that the room had not been cleaned by housekeeping. It then started to make sense: No one wanted to clean the room so they decided to put me in a room with another man. I had to find my own sheets and make the bed. The apartment was a disaster from the previous tenant but that is another story.

I was told that there was refurbishment going on but it was being done on the 2nd floor. I had been given a 6th floor apartment and I soon discovered that there was work being done directly below on the 5th floor. 2 days of rest and relaxation wasted at this place. The staff was very "diplomatic" when I requested that the work should be shut down at 1800. I do not think they did a thing. I think the staff should actually follow up on their words.

The pool was small (compared to GWC) but a nice break from the noise. The pool staff and catering staff were VERY friendly and may be the only thing keeping me from giving a one-star rating.

Rooms are a bit dated. The view from the 5th floor is worthless. 2-room apartment has no oven. A/C control was hard to set correctly.

I would highly recommend Great World City over Fraser Suites.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank jbinfl
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2010

Fantastic place to stay for families with children. Welcome was very warm and friendly. We were given a welcome hamper and the children each received a soft toy. This was totally unexpected and a very pleasant surprise as we had just got in after midnight.
There is free scheduled shuttle bus to popular shopping areas so access will not be an issue. Full cooking facility if you need one. However close by are many restaurants catering for all taste. A convenient store is also located in the same area. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank GoldenDragon338
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2009

The 2 bedroom suite is comfy enough & average for this type of long stay suite, however the kitchenette is not equipped fully. So if you're staying for any length of time bring extra pans coz they provide only 2 small stove top pots & no frying pans or colander (buying them at the local supermarket is mega bucks). Only the 3 bedroom appt has an oven, the 2 bed only a stove top. Local restaurants are so so & very expensive...lots of microwaved foods sold at wine bars for example.
My biggest problem with this locale is that it shares the same block as a night club, so on Wednesday we were woken up at 11:30pm by extremely loud Acid House music & even louder DJ; all the windows closed & despite being on the 5th floor we could still feel the shock waves rattling the bathroom windows & floors!! I have yet to experience Thursday night, but expect more of the same. Friday thru Sun there was a live band outside in the square below our window which played till 10pm & our 3 & 5 year olds couldn't hear the tv in front of us on full volume. The only evenings that were peaceful were Monday & Tuesday. The only nights our kids got to sleep undisturbed & by 8pm were Monday & Tuesday.
This is not the place to stay if you are visiting Singapore on Medical Tourism, have had an operation (as in our case) & are waiting out the week post op for the docs consultation. It is hell to stay here with the noise & disturbance if you have young kids & need peace & quiet to recoup after surgery.
Staff are nice, pool so so (could see nicer outdoor facilities at neighboring hotels from our window), can't say how breakfast was as we ate in our suite.
That said, if you want rowdy night life & so so restaurants & a place not to far from anything then this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family