“Extraordinary service orientation”

Conrad Centennial Singapore
Ranked #21 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 29, 2013

While one takes most of the hardware (infrastructure, room quality etc) as a bare necessity when one pays five star rates; for me, what differentiates a good hotel from a great one is the software (the quality and the attitude of the staff. Accordingly, I shall skip all the details of the property and concentrate on the sheer service orientation of the staff.
Here are three instances that I experienced:
1) Being a vegetarian, I asked the lady at the Breakfast Buffet whether the Samosas were fried in a vegetable oil. She applied in the affirmative, but went one step ahead. She enquired if I was a strict vegetarian and on receiving an affirmative reply, she warned me that the wok in which the Samosas were fried would have been used to fry some non-vegetarian stuff as well. Seeing my reaction, she offered to stir fry some vegetables for me in an ununsed wok. She further went to the Bread counter and fetched two varieties of bread on which no egg wash was used. I was impressed and touched. Here is someone who clearly goes beyond customer satisfaction.

2) Since the dinner (room service) did not meet my requirements, the person clearing the service enquired on that count. He apologised for the dinner not meeting my requirements and also offered to get me some other stuff - on the house.

3) Since I had an evening flight, I requested for a late check out - that was most cheerfully given without any fuss. Thereafter too, I was allowed access to the premier lounge (since I was in a Suite).

Conrad Centennial certainly surpassed my expectations and at least one of the 5 stars that I have assigned to this property is attributable to its excellent staff!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
CC_Sing, General Manager at Conrad Centennial Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear SameerBombay_India,

Thank you for your very generous compliments of Conrad Centennial Singapore, we are humbled to have surpassed your expectations.

It is rewarding for the team to realise that their sincere service and level of care exceeded your expectations. They are dedicated to the well-being of our guests and continually work hard to go the extra mile to deliver the best personalised service that makes our guests' experiences special. It is a pleasure to know that you felt well-looked after.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback and we look forward to once again extending our warm Conrad hospitality experience when you are next in Singapore.

There are newer reviews for Conrad Centennial Singapore

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This is my followup review from the earlier one posted on 28 march 2013. We were approached by the deputy general manager and the duty manager for the day at breakfast time at oscars. After listening to the narration of events that had taken place on 28/3, the management was apologetic and we were whisked off to an upgrade to the centennial suite stocked with cartoon DVDs for my toddler, baby friendly toiletries, conrad teddy bears for our family, a flask of juice, a fruit basket, chocolates and cookies. Nik the duty manager personally attended to us, be it heating up of my toddler's lunch, arranging access to the lounge, arriving quickly with a first aid kit and housekeeping in tow when my son cut his knee at bath time from a smashed glass. My experience on the second day of my stay is a complete turnaround from what had ensued the day earlier. While I am appreciative that Conrad centennial made good from the feedback we had provided, there is certainly room for improvement for the various touch points, like the operator, the doormen to the server at the lounge. These folks are the ones most often in direct contact with the guests, versus the conrad management.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear BKmama,

Once again, the pleasure was ours to ensure that your stay experience was positive after the unfortunate circumstances of your first day with us.

We are happy to know that you are satisfied with the way the team attended to your feedback. We have noted touch points on the areas for improvement and through our on-going process reviews and training programmes, we are confident that our service delivery will be continually upheld at optimal standards.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we remain at your service.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

My nightmare started from the moment we arrived in our car. We planned a staycation as we are in the midst of moving houses and being 7.5 months pregnant with a toddler, we picked Conrad as we wanted to be pampered and have the ease and convenience that comes with staying in a 5 star hotel. From the moment we arrived in our car we have received sub standard service starting from the nonchalant and impassive reception from the concierge. No greeting, no welcome salutation and there wasn't even anyone, no doorman who opened the main door for us. The check in took extra time as there was a dispute in the room we had agreed upon, Conrad had not updated their system and calls had to be made internally before we could get our room. When we got into the room, I called room service to heat up food that I had specially prepared for my son as he has food allergies. The representative from room service took 15 mins to arrive and as my son was ravenous, he was already throwing tantrums in the room. The room service representative made a face, he scrunched his face as I gave him instructions on heating up the food and when i asked him if he had issues performing this service. He replied " your son is noisy". This is an unacceptable response to a guest from a hotel staff! My nightmare continued with the perennial rude service I get from the operator who hangs up the phone before I do, to the guest relations officer alexana who didnt make my dinner reservation at oscars ( it was my belated birthday dinner celebration ) despite my earlier call to her on the day of the check-in, the staff at the lounge who served my toddler complimentary wasabi flavored crisps that resulted in him throwing out and screaming for water, and finally to housekeeping who didnt turn down the beds and only did so after repeated calls. What wrapped up the night was when we returned to the room the toilet reeked of urine! And we had left the room for a few hours for dinner and whether it was a mistake by housekeeping or a sabotage we called the duty manager who listened to our woes but didnt offer us an upgrade but only propositioned a change of room of the equivalent. This is my worst staycation in my home country. Unless you wish to be treated poorly like a second class citizen, Conrad centennial singapore comes highly unrecommended from my perspective.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank BKmama

Dear BKmama,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you encountered when you first arrived at the hotel.

I understand that my team was able to resolve your situation to your satisfaction. Please rest assured that your feedback is important to us and we continue to be dedicated to delivering the exemplary Conrad service expected of us.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you and your family will give us another opportunity in the future so that we may extend to you a better Conrad experience.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Quality hotel in a great location near the bay. Views from higher floors are stunning - the skyline over the bay and over the city to the other side.
Standard rooms are adequate size but well fitted. Conrad beds are really comfortable! Bathrooms are modern, with separate showers, and of course, excellent toiletries.
Its in the CBD, but I'd thoroughly recommend for tourists. Its easy to find the underground or tour buses, and if its not too humid its only a short walk to the Fullerton, the Merlion, St Andrews etc.
The food in Oscars is excellent...and ice cream at breakfast is perfect when its hot and humid!
Executive lounge is large and very comfortable. Afternoon tea with champagne is excellent

Room Tip: High room for the views. Exec rooms can be good value.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear eddi10c,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Conrad Centennial Singapore, we are delighted that you enjoyed our uniquely Conrad hospitality experience!

It is good to know that you felt comfortable during your stay and enjoyed exploring around our bustling neighbourhood. We appreciate your special mention of the food quality, breakfast, ice cream to look forward to and afternoon tea at the Executive Lounge.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews & it very much deserves its kudos. We've done a lot of traveling in Southeast Asia (although never before in Singapore) & we've never had an experience quite as comfortable as this one. We arrived at 2am after 20 hours of flying & we immediately felt that all was well - efficiency, smiles, willingness to help. We noticed a Tripadvisor award displayed near the front desk - clearly this hotel prides itself on attention to the customer.
Our room was exactly as pictured on the hotel's website - just lovely & with an overlarge bath. As others have noted, if you have Hilton Gold or Platinum you'll not need spend anything extra on meals as your wined & dined the day long. The breakfast buffet on the Executive floor is especially noteworthy as, in true Asian style, it offers breakfast choices for an international audience. If you're on a budget the staff will direct you to the Asian food court in the nearly Sun Office Complex where you can enjoy a delicious dinner from 100 choices for about $5 U.S.
The hotel's location is perfect - 10 minutes from just about anywhere, including to the new cruise ship terminal at Marina Bay.
We hope to return to beautiful Singapore - and to the Conrad.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear MichiganCookies,

I am pleased to learn that your choice of hotel in Singapore was influenced by Tripadvisor. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We truly appreciate and value your loyalty as a Hilton HHonors member and my team is delighted that you felt well-taken care of and comfortable during your stay. Thank you also for your kind compliments on the breakfast quality at the Executive Lounge.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to being of service to you when you return to Singapore.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here for a week on business trip and found it an excellent 5 star hotel in terms of service, food, room and above all the top notch hospitality of the staff. The rooms are very spacious, clean and have a small Conrad teddy, fresh fruits, study table and nice flat-screen.

The food at Oscar's is very good but little expensive but you should not miss their buffet. Its one of the best i had and the choice is amazing. The quality and authenticity of the food taste is mind blowing and choices are many.

The Promenade metro station is nearby and Sun-tech and Marina Bay shopping area is just few steps away. You can also get a taxi from the hotel exit.

Overall an fantastic and amazing stay in Conrad, i will recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

Room Tip: Take rooms facing Marina Bay sand or Pan Pacific.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
CC_Sing, General Manager at Conrad Centennial Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear ReprendraChauhan,

My team and I are heartened by your generous compliments and recommendation of Conrad Centennial Singapore.

It is rewarding for the team to realise that their hospitality contributed well towards your positive experience with us. We also thank you for your special mention of our buffet spread in Oscar's, it is wonderful to know that you enjoyed a great dining experience there.

We hope to have you with us again, should you return to Singapore in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed at the Conrad for 2 nights en route to London. The Executive Floor provided excellent accomodation and the service was outstanding. The breakfast and evening canapés menu was varied and catered for all international tastes, presentation was excellent. Thank you Conrad for an outstanding experience, we will be back!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mike N,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Conrad Centennial Singapore, it was a pleasure having you with us.

We are delighted that our Executive Lounge offerings highlighted your experience with us, the team is grateful for your kind feedback. We look forward to once again extending the exemplary Conrad hospitality experience to you that we always seek to deliver.