“A Nice Hotel - Extremely Close to Everything”

Carlton Hotel Singapore
Ranked #58 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
croydon, england
“A Nice Hotel - Extremely Close to Everything”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We arrived at this hotel on 20th August at around 8am. I had called ahead and asked for a 3rd bed in the room and thought I got a reasonable price of $80. When we arrived the room was ready and we went straight to it exhausted. My son was thirsty and I allowed him to drink a bottle of water from the fridge only to discover that its cost was about £4.00 - so beware! If you come out of the the hotel and right then right at the lights you will see 7-11 across the road where drinks are far cheaper. The breakfast was included in the room price and was very nice indeed, a selection of everything from boiled eggs to omelettes etc. We were not allowed to eat on the first day because we were not supposed to check in before 2pm however they were kind enough to let us have the room immediately. On the last morning we left before the breakfast room was ready but they let us go in and help ourselves tobreads, pastries fruit and juice which I thought was good of them - but then we had paid for breakfast for this day! The room was spacious even with the 3 quite large single beds. The linen was crisp and clean and the beds were made and room cleaned everyday that we were there. We were on the 10th floor and view was very nice and we did not hear any of the work that has been discussed on this site, unless we went outside.

There is a small swimming pool on the 5th floor with sunbeds but we did not use it although it was quite peaceful there.

This hotel is excellent for its position in singapore. Immediately across the road is the Chijmes food complex. We went to carnivores as many people on here have mentioned it. However, we were not impressed as it was fairly pricey for what it was. Chefs come round with skewers of meat and you turn you table mat to green if you want some and red if you dont. Different meats come out at different intervals - mostly beef I found, but lamb, chicken and fish were all on offer. $45 dollars per head excluding drinks, 7% government tax and 10% service charge. It soon adds up.

If you come out of the hotel and turn left, cross at the lights you will see Raffles Hotel. It was a wonderful colonial building for the rich and famous but a must see nevertheless. If you keep working right past it, you wil come to the Suncity Mall. In here you can buy a one or two day bus sightseeing tour, which offers hop on hop off options for the two days and you can use it much as you want until it stops running, it also offers a boat ride on the river which was very pleasant. I think was paid about $25 for the two days, but it was well worth it as we got to see everything including orchard road where you could get off if you had brought your mortgage money with you!!!

There is plenty to see however this country is very expensive indeed. The "theme park" (sorry i cant remember the name of it) is an absolute rip off. You pay a couple of dollars to get in then pay the the ride, each one between 15 and 29 dollars per ride or £6 and £14. We walked in and walked out!

Sinagpore as a country has no culture of its own and I found this very disappointing - It is just new everywhere or being built. There is this feeling of rushing, very much as in London and I found it stressful and couldn't wait to leave.

The Carlton however, is a great place to rest your head at the end of a busy day sightseeing. My only disappointment with the carlton was that when I came to leave the price quoted for the extra bed did not include 10% service charge and 7% government tax. This annoyed me very much cause i was quoted cheaper in England for the extra bed through the travel agent. Still penny wise pound foolish!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Germany
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Stayed at the Carlton in September for business. I booked online, then called them up to discover they had better offers which included internet - something which in China for example is standard for a 4-star or higher. Anyway, so I booked the higher rate incl. internet and breakfast. Mind, it was still about SGD 198, which is not budget. The room though definetly was. Equipped like in the 80s with the turn-knob flush toilets which dont flush, the small cream brick tiled bathroom also state-of-the-art in the 80s. For this price, I expected something much better. Since I came straight from Shanghai, this hotel could look up to the ankles to the 4-star I had there.
The people at the reception were unreceptive to my complaints, so I had to pay extra to upgrade to a room I would expect in a 4-star hotel. Even though, late checkout was met with unresponsiveness. This is Singapore, so if you have a choice - which you do - stay elsewhere. Location-wise, there is the big 5-star just across the road, where you will get a better deal for your money. Or just stay somewhere else - in Singapore, you dont need to put up with this.
Apart from the reception, this hotel had one big thing going for it - the service of the people below. That means the staff maintaining the rooms, the porters which were extremely nice, and the bellmen. Outstanding.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Christine_sing
Warwick
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Situated right next door to Raffles, you can also wander over the road to the huge shopping centres in the city. Obviously not as expensive as raffles hotel. It is a large, tall building with rooms to suit any group. The bar area is very nice with a waterfall and music. The breakfast room and buffet is great, they have everything in the mornings and the service is great and all the staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 28, 2009

As a frequent guest at the hotel, I can see the service has been gradually deteriorating. My last visit was really bad - the internet didn't work, and despite being promised resolution within a certain time, and being promised a call from the hotel manager, I didn't get one. The checkouts take forever, as do the check ins, and lately, I don't even get the complimentary bottles of water anymore ...

I really think that service can improve. It's such a strategically located hotel that if you improve service, then you get a really good value offering. At the moment, I'm avoiding the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank mozilla_monster
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed here in Mid-July 2009 for five nights with my extended family - we had reserved four rooms. We were assigned rooms in the 'old' tower on the 15th and 21st floors. Apparently, the rooms in the 'new' tower are supposed to be nicer. But, we really did not find anything wrong with the rooms that we were assigned. Before we reserved, I did read some earlier posts complaining about the carpets and bathrooms. But we did not find them to be true. We arrived around 9:30AM, but check-in is only at 2PM. We hung around the lobby area and finally they gave us our rooms around 11:30AM. Our package included breakfast which was buffet style and had standard fare.
Can't really complain about anything with this hotel.I would definitely consider staying here again. Singapore is wonderful!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
sydney
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Was lucky to get a secret deal on wotif for this hotel, so the rate was reasonable for singapore.

The rooms was a decent size, comfy bed. Location is great. Easy to get the MRT to anywhere in singapore, and a lot of tourist sites and the night life are a short taxi trip away as well.

Plenty of places to eat and shop near by.

Would gladly stay at the Carlton Hotel if they have another cheap rate :)

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Singapore
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Carlton the name itself descirbes the class of the hotel. it is located in City hall the prime location in Singapore and easy acess to those who have business meeting in raffles and suntec city. i liked the hotel very much becoz of its class and service provided by them

• Liked — comfort and service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)