“Good Hotel in an Excellent Location”

Carlton Hotel Singapore
Ranked #52 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Brisbane, Australia
“Good Hotel in an Excellent Location”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed in a Premier Club Room in the new wing of the Carlton Hotel for 7 nights over the Christmas and New Year period. Check in and check out was efficient and takes place in the Club.

The choices provided in the Club for the buffet breakfast were limited compared to those in the main restaurant, however by staying in a Club Room you have the choice to eat in both for free as part of the Club Room package. The cost if you pay for the buffet breakfast is SGD$38 per person which I do not think is good value for money. The Happy Hour each evening was good with free food and drinks provided. Service from the staff in the Club was good.

The location is great, across the road from Raffles Hotel and Raffles Place Shopping Centre. 5 minutes walk to the City Hall MRT which takes you anywhere in Singapore. Orchard Road is 3 stations (5 minutes) from City Hall.

We would consider staying at the Carlton next time we are in Singapore.

Room Tip: Go for a Club or Premier Club room as they offer good value and higher levels of service.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Redo23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcasltle upon Tyne
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Unfortunately we only stayed here for 2 nights on our way back to the UK from Australia. I had booked a Carlton Club Room and had forgotten but it was most welcome to find out that we had a late check out of 3pm as we were not flying until 9pm, we also received free breakfast buffet in the mornings and free cocktails and snacks between 6 and 8pm on an evening. The result of this was that we didn't really pay for any food whilst we were in Singapore, except in the hotel's patisserie, which is well worth a visit.
We really loved staying here, the staff were really friendly, especially the door staff who always had a great big smile for you. The bar was a lovely place to sit and relax in post 8pm and free cocktails, with live music nightly. The male and female entertainers were really good.
Our room was on the 17th floor so we had a great view of the city, it was clean and very comfortable, the only thing I had a little moan about was the lack of free WiFi in your room, although you could get this in the communal areas of the hotel.
Swimming Pool good size with lots of sun beds and areas to sit in, did not use gym, as not there long enough.
The hotel is situated approx. 15 minutes walk to the Singapore Flyer (like the London Eye but bigger), and we just walked there our first morning, we also picked up the city tour bus from outside the Flyer and used this as our mode of transport to get to all the other areas on ort to do list.
Really enjoyed staying at the Carlton and would definitely go back if in Singapore again.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms get the best views, try upgrading to a Carlton Room as you get late check out 3pm, f...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in a premier club room . Was great value for money . Buffet Breakfast was lovely & always free. Happy hour in the club level was great - The service was wonderful by all the staff always helpful with what to do around Singapore and where to go :)
Thanks will stay again when returning to Singapore .

Room Tip: Preimum Club was worth every cent :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I went to the hotel after a flight in from beijing. I was immediately impressed with the service. They gave me a free upgrade. The room was great and just what I needed after a long flight. I went for a swim in the pool which has a great view of the skyline. Most of the rooms offer great views. The only think I could fault is the check out. It took me 15 mins to check out and put my luggage in storage.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JohnnyBoyTraveller
Sweden
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Carlton Hotel has a great location, it´s close to three MRT and a lot of sights nearby. We got rooms in the new tower overlooking Raffles, they were new, good standard and nice. However, in general Carlton doesn´t manage to live up to its high-end profile. The staff was always busy with something else and not very friendly either. The biggest problem for us was the breakfast - the bufé is good but the Mosaic Cafe is horrible; the acoustic is so bad it feels like sitting in a school canteen. Same when we had dinner there, really loud and noisy even though only three tables were taken. Not the best way to start of you day. The pool is also disappointing, small and located in between the towers.
Chose Carlton is you score a good booking deal, then the price can be really reasonable for Singapore (if you get included breakfast) and if you don´t really mind the service aspect. If your looking for an extra touch, chose someplace else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here in November 2013 with a group of friends. All five couples found the hotel to be not only centrally located and within easy walking distance to attractions but also loved the cleanliness, service and overall "feel" of the hotel. Would certainly return. Check in was easy and fast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Last Wednesday, 02/01/2014, I stayed at the Carlton hotel for my birthday. I had wanted to do something different and decided to go for a staycation with my mum. I made my booking through Expedia's website and took the weekend special. The room that I choose was the Superior room which came with a King sized bed!

The location of Carlton was really convenient. Just a few minutes walk from City Hall MRT! Not forgetting if you want to do shopping it's just right beside Raffles City.

Check-in was at 2pm and all the counters were full! Though everyone was occupied, my wait was less than 5 mins before I was attended too. Service was prompt and professional but the staff could be a little more chirpy and warm. The good thing about the service was that she managed to cater to my request of giving me a room on a high floor which I was pleased.

The room that we stayed in was on the 19th floor of the old wing.

Pros of the room:
VERY clean and enough natural light
Spacious and not overly cluttered! But yet giving you the warm and cosy feeling.
Very good amenities
Good television and channels
Enough sitting spaces

Cons of the room:
No wireless internet
No bedroom slippers
Provision of some bathe salt for the bathtub soaking would be nice
We also order room service for dinner while we were there! We tried the famous Char Kway Teow and Fried Rice. Though it was pricey but I was impressed with the quality of the food and the serving of it. It is definitely worth a try when you are there!

For our morning breakfast, we ate at Cafe Mosaic. The breakfast buffet selection had loads of variety and there's definitely something for everyone! Quality of the food was also good, not sub-standard. My favorite sections were the pastries section and omelette station. At the pastry section, there were nice croissants, muffins and German Bee Sting Cake. Omelette station you get to choose what kind of eggs you wanted whether it being sunny side up, omelette with fillings etc. Only down point was that the ambiance was noisy and tables were a little to near to each other. Service wise, the staff were prompt and helpful.

Overall I had a pleasant stay at the Carlton Hotel Singapore! I would definitely recommend it to those considering having a staycation or holiday in Singapore.

Room Tip: Request for a high floor so it would not be too noisy Book a room in the new wing for a better view...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends