“A Tale of Two Stays...”

Ranked #52 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Kerobokan
“A Tale of Two Stays...”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just had 4 nights total at the Carlton Singapore. First 2 nights were in the "old wing" which is tired and 80's ish - not great honestly. Big rooms, comfortable but average, pokey bathrooms in need of total revamp. Good job I was not spending much time there.
My wife joined me after those 2 nights and I had booked an "Executive Room" in the new wing. I tried 3 times over 3 days to check into that room, or get a room number, during my stay to facilitate my wife's arrival and our arrangements - she is pregnant so wanted to smooth everything. The reception staff dodged this 3 times and tried to fob me off with an Exec Room in the old wing. After my repeated efforts, this was simply not good enough. They fobbed me off to other flunkys on reception until I demanded the manager. He did finally and reluctantly give me my due but I was not impressed at all.
The Exec Room in the new wing we had was great - good decor, furniture, fittings and fixtures - some touches were cheaped out on but the overall room experience was good.
The breakfasts were awesome and the breakfast staff very welcoming and helpful - quite a contrast to the reception staff who were ungracious, unhelpful and total time-wasters for my stay.
The location is great, no doubt on that and convenient to so much which is ideal for first-time visitors ( I am former Singapore resident so no big deal as know the city well but great for my wife).
Really hesitant to recommend this hotel in spite of some of its really good points. When you pay a decent chunk of cash for a hotel, you should expect 2 things: service excellence and quality accommodations...the former was conspicuous by its absence and the latter a mixed bag, all in all.
If you do stay, make sure you get the new wing. Otherwise, don't bother...

Room Tip: Get a room in the "New Wing" only and make sure the reception staff do not fob you off for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MenariOwner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The room was spacious and the bathroom excellent. I could find no fault with the room. Breakfast provided a good choice but was very busy and noisy. Great position. Helpful staff. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south look over towards the flyer and are quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here together with my wife and 3 year old son. The lobby is very hectic but nice. The location is also very good and everything is close by. The guys at the concierge are really friendly and helpful. The room is outdated, the service poor and the breakfast is not great. One day they did not clean our room at all, they never pick up the phone when you call for something and the food at the breakfast was often cold. The air-conditioner did not work well. The pool on the 5th floor is ok, but not heated and is therefor too cold on a cloudy windy day. All together a rather disappointing hotel stay and when I look at the high price I have to conclude it was a bad value for money.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dutchguy_in_Allgau
Singapore
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Although I stayed only one night, my family enjoyed the new wing of the hotel very much. The poolside experience was good, with adequate towels and deck chairs. Cafe Mosaic for breakfast was a bit crowded due to the holiday weekend but the staff made it very pleasant by making sure the food was replenished fast and coffee served without too long a wait. Check in was a breeze, I read reviews about the old wing so made it a point to ask for a room in the new wing. Very convenient shopping area and MRT means easy access to many other tourist amenities.

Room Tip: Ask for room in the new wing
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Wife and I stayed here for 5 nights about 3 weeks ago. Generally decent. My room was fine (yes, the bathroom was outdated, but at least it was clear and bright).

1. Location – Super, super convenient. Not only very close to an MRT station (Bras Basah, City Hull, or Esplanade), also within 4 MRT stations to any major tourist areas (Bayfront, Orchard, Chinatown, Little India, Bugis, Harbourfront, etc …). And taxi from airport is less than SGD 20 bucks.

2. Signseeing pick-up – If you are going to the Universal Studio Singapore, there are free pick-ups right at the hotel. If you are going to the Zoo or Night Safari, SAEx bus stations are only a couple of blocks away in 3 directions. If you are taking kids, you can save the troubles and a bundle.

3. Breakfast – Decent with lots of choices. But beware of the cold-cut corner where it was not well laminated, and I have seen a fly or 2 there. The hot-food counter was great (chefs were very helpful). The coffee corner was also good (but a bit expensive).

4. Staff – Although looked overworked, staff members are generally very helpful and very professional.

Hate

1. Taxi rides – If you want to take a taxi from the City Hull area back to the hotel (for whatever reason), the drivers trend to take “scenic routes”. One of my trips cost over SGD 7 bucks. And if you start telling them what to do, they would come-up with all kinds of excuse. Is it only me, but I think Singapore taxi drivers are getting worst at circling around.

2. No quite floor – I am a sound-sleeper and asked for quite rooms. Some hotels have quite floors that usually have no kids on the same floor and usually are far away from the swimming pools. The first 2 nights were great, but my third and forth mornings (Sat and Sun) were terrible because a couple checked-in with 2 young kids on Friday for 2 nights. Sat morning they woke-up and open their room door to the hallway just before 7am. The younger kid was crying in the room, and the older kid (4-5 year old) was running in-and-out of the room and shouting in the hallway. Fortunately, that only lasted 20 minutes and we were able to go back to sleep and woke-up just before lunch. But Sunday was hell. Started just before 7am and lasted for 1.5 hrs. My wife got so fed-up that she went to open our door and spoke to the lady and the kid in the hallway. The lady apologied for a few times and we really don’t want to come to this - but it had to be done.

Overall, OK. Not my first choice, but definitely a save choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Michael H
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 6 nights late October. Room was very nice with large bathroom. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. Only drawback was to get wifi we had to be in the lobby with everyone else trying to log on. Would definitely stay here again as it is very central.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Services are friendly and will try to accomodate your request like when i need to take an early morning flight, the front desk did help me prepare a 'take-away' food bag.

Rooms are clean and beds are comfortable.

Buffet breakfast at the cafe was 'average' with simple spreads, nothing great but maybe the F&B could improve this?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family