“Horrible customer service”

Ranked #70 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Hermosa Beach, California
“Horrible customer service”
Reviewed December 18, 2006

As soon as I had arrived at Orchard Hotel, I felt unwelcome. We stayed at the Orchard Hotel for a total of two nights, three days. We chose this hotel because of its central location, and because it was hosting a conference we were attending in Singapore. We booked a room online with the triple B package. We were given a Superior Deluxe room with Internet access. It turned out the room had wireless broadband access, which was a plus.

We drove into Singapore in a rented Malaysian car. As we drove into the front drive to drop off our luggage, we were completely ignored by the doorman. We stood and waited for five minutes until we were able to flag someone down to help us. In front was a van of European tourists, who were immediately attended to.

As it was Christmas season, the check-in desk was understandably busy. However, the check-in desk was understaffed and disorganized. There was no sense of queue, and we had to fend for our place in line. Our room appeared hastily cleaned, and the floors were unvacuumed. The room was quite noisy at night.

The breakfast spread was large, though once again, the service was questionable. Although we had booked for two people, the hotel made a mistake in the number of breakfasts allotted to our room (i.e. one breakfast for two people). The server was disagreeable, and didn't even think to give us the benefit of the doubt. She went to find the manager, and then halfway there, she realized she had made a mistake and quickly led us to a table beside the kitchen. Upon requesting to be seated in a quieter location, she snapped back and said that all the tables were full, though in reality, the entire cafe was probably half full.

The final straw came at check-out, when I went to ask the concierge for driving directions back to Malaysia. Behind me were three young girls from Thailand, and I felt that the concierge was more interested in picking up these girls than helping me with my directions. Upon asking for the directions, the concierge then went on to say that "he didn't know." And when asked if he had a map, he said that the hotel didn't have any, when in fact the previous day they had given me a map. Afterwards, I overheard the concierge attempting to pick up these girls, asking them for their name cards and phone numbers. I was disgusted. When I brought up the issue with front desk, they quickly found someone else to give directions, and indeed, they did have a map.

The customer service at Orchard Hotel is spotty, and at the very best, second rate. It appeared to me that customer service was conditional on your appearance, and secondly, your country of origin. Coming from Malaysia, I felt that we were treated less favourably than if I had waved around my Canadian passport (which I didn't). I am extremely dissapointed with Orchard Hotel, and I don't think I would ever stay there again. I do not recommend this hotel if staying in Singapore. I believe one can get much better service, and much better quality of accomodation for less.

• Liked — Broadband, not very much
  • Disliked — Customer service, the rooms, lack of cleansliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank qwertyHound

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Provo, UT
Reviewed December 8, 2006

The Orchard was booked for us by a local government ministry. It was excellent. Great location, and the service was outstanding. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — lobby and link to shopping mall
  • Disliked — nothing
4 Thank maddmax
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 25, 2006

I recently stayed at the Orchard Hotel for 3 nights.
The best thing about this hotel is the location, right on the Orchard Road.
Rooms were average and bathrooms were a bit a the small side. Nice breafast buffet every morning..

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
1 Thank Vixenbird
UK
Reviewed November 10, 2006

We stayed here on our way back to the UK our sixth time in singapore but first at the Orchard. Looks good from the pictures on the website. We opted for the upgrade to the Excutive rooms cost of $100 per night (not what reception said). Room was just a basic room on the 16th floor. Free soft drinks from mini bar and free drinks on the hotel between 6pm-8pm up in the executive club room (17th floor). Found the staff Rude and could only understand english when you were paying the final bill. Food in the orchard cafe we ordered chicken in a basket, later found out it was shipped in from a KFC outlet down the road. Would advise to book a different hotel as we do alot of bussiness in singapore and would'nt return here.

• Liked — going home
  • Disliked — getting there
  • Tips/Secrets — Book another hotel
4 Thank KD121
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 5, 2006

I have stayed at the Orchard Hotel twice. Once in September 2006 for 12 nights, the other in October 2006 for 5 nights.

In the first stay, I stayed in a 'Signature Club Deluxe' Room in the Orchard Wing. These rooms are very well decorated (though almost to the point of almost being over the top). The bathroom is great (including a TV over the separate bath), and the bedroom has a couch and LCD TV. In addition, the room has many conveniences including push button lighting and automatic curtains. All in all it was a pleasant stay, though I must say that colleagues who stayed in the 'ordinary' rooms were not as impressed with hotel. While I didn't see their rooms I suspect there is large degree of difference between their Signature rooms and their standard rooms.

For the second stay, I was upgraded to a suite, which was comparable to the Signature Club Deluxe room, though with a separate bedroom from living room, a walk-in closet (first I have seen in a hotel) and much larger windows.

All in all, the Signature Club Rooms are very nice and you are unlikely to be disappointed. However the hotel does have room for improvement…My critiques are:
-In both rooms there were problems with the 'Do Not Disturb' button (one wouldn't turn off, the other would turn off randomly).
-In one stay the hotel room regularly lost power one day (this may have been a one-day occurrence)
-In room movie options are very limited and TV picture quality is quite low (despite having an LCD TV’s)
-The decor may not be to everyone’s liking
-Location is great (on Orchard Road) though at an end of the street that is known for prostitution in the evenings which may make some visitors uneasy

• Liked — Clean, well decorated rooms
  • Disliked — Poor TV quality and movie options
  • Tips/Secrets — Worth upgrading if the price difference is reasonable
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank QantasFlyer
Melbourne
Reviewed November 2, 2006

This was the first stop on our round the world honeymoon and we found this hotel to be great. It is in a very good location near shops, a short walk to the train and Mac Donalds!
The rooms are not huge but we had a comfortable bed, very clean bathroom and huge tv on the wall. The hotel also has a very impressive lobby and lounge which had live entertainment each night.
The staff very friendly and helpful I would reccommend this hotel to anyone wanting something a little nice on their holiday.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Rooms were a little small
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for an upgrade. We did as we were on our honeymoon and got one!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kylied
Leeds, England
Reviewed October 10, 2006

This hotel is OK and provides decent accomodation. The pool area has a bar but doesn't provide any snacks or meals.

Reasonable access for getting around Singapore.

Staff OK but not particularly helpful. We had asked for connecting rooms as we have 3 children but had problems on arrival and initially were offered rooms not even next to each other. We ended up with rooms next to each other but not connecting but it took a lot of discussion to get there.

• Liked — clean comfortable
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family