“Old and small but i will return”

Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium
Ranked #75 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed September 1, 2009

My partner, SY and I was in Singapore for a leisure weekend recently so we booked a night at the HIA based on previous reviews.
Although a dated hotel, we booked it due to their attractive weekend rate (SGD123++).

For this rate, what we got was a comfortable room/bed, a great looking lobby, nice toiletries, quite wide variety of breakfast and very helpful and excellent service staff at the concierge (esp the left luggage service)....special mention has to go to the really yummy fluffy omelette in the mornings.

The not-so-great factors include:
no complimentary bottled water in our room (which I thought was quite unusual for a holiday inn), only one pair of bathroom slippers instead of 2pairs, a 21" TV and a location which is great for guests with cars but very inconvenient for those looking to use the MRT regularly.

Overall if they maintained their rates and service, i'll still return.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trin17
Write a ReviewReviews (2,577)

Reviewed August 30, 2009

The hotel is a bit far from other places and MRT. The room is clean and a bit small in size. Staffs are professionals and helpful. Checkin and out are quick. However the hotel may be not suitable for family and leisure travellers.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Upon arrival the hotel gives a good first impression the atrium style is very plush and the glass elevators an attraction but then we got to our room! We had asked for a room on a high floor so tha we could take advantage of the views which was nice. However the room itself was very basic 3 star accomodation. It was in desperate need of renovation the carpet and curtains had an awful smell. The bathrom was small and very old fashioned.
The pool area was ok one small pool with sunbeds we used this after check out while waiting for our onward flight.
It was close to china town although a taxi was in order. Another taxi ride took us to Clarke Quay which was a decent night out for food and drink. The hotel was very expensive for drinks at the bar and it closed very early. The location was not very good for leisure travellers and I would stay in the colonial district if I visit Singapore again.
We tookm a taxi to the night safari which was incredible and definately worth the 4 minute taxi ride. Very enjoyable.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jotelandtravel
Reviewed August 28, 2009

In Singapore to visit a few friends who had just been relocated there. Booked the Holiday Inn Atrium using my Priority Club points mainly due to the nice review here (plus the lower points requirement to be honest).

Hotel did not replied to my email for 4 days did not gave me the best impression (they never replied at all...I called them); arrived and was put into a deluxe room on the 6th floor, check-in was prompted and friendly. A pleasant surprise to find them having a personalized envelope with my priority points summary plus a complimentary beer coupon down the lobby lounge.

Room as you can see from the photo is big but decor is definitely showing its age, it reminds me of the Holiday Inn I stayed more than 15 years ago in Manila. Nevertheless, it is very clean, probably the cleanest I ever saw from an old hotel.

Stayed for 2 nights, generally speaking staff are friendly and service is good, only below average attitude I had was from a receptionist who transferred me without even asking me to hold. Everything is in good order and the hotel seems to try very hard to overcome the age (the friendly staff I saw on floor, the complimentary drink, the spotless clean room), kudos to them.

Location as others point out is a bit off center but not too much, traveling to/from most places are not expensive by taxi.

Overall a good hotel, price as I know is sitting in the middle and I think it is worth it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights in early Nov 2008 while on business. This hotel was designated as the one for a group of us working on the same project, so choosing it was down to our agent in Singapore.

Overall I most definitely enjoyed my stay here. It was a little pricey at the time, but I do hear that since then, with the economic downturn worldwide, prices have come down a bit, so it's probably more value for money now than it was a year ago.

The staff were, without fail, helpful, polite and friendly. A very good first impression when walking into the lobby, and seeing the elevator cars moving up and down between floors. Check in was fast and efficient ( I arrived on a flight from Vancouver at 1130pm, so it was after midnight by the time I arrived). I was given a business room on the 6th floor - 1 queen size bed (clean and fresh smelling), large flat screen TV mounted on the wall, with lots of channels to choose from.

Pretty much all the mod cons someone would need in a room like this - desk to work at (internet is paid for by the day however - and is not cheap. I paid something around 30 sing dollars to have wired and wifi access for 24 hours), fridge with minibar, coffee and tea making facilities, an iron and board in the closet, as well as a safe to hold valuables.
Bathroom was clean and also well stocked with the usual toiletries - possibly in need of a wee makeover as it seemed a little dated, but more than adequate for my needs, so no complaints from me.

The lounge bar just off the lobby was a daily focal point for us while in Singapore, and while prices for drinks were definitely at the typical "HOW much???" level, they did have a '2 for 1' happy hour between 5 and 7, so it's best to make the most of that period of the evening for drinks. Staff there are again, very good, efficient, helpful and friendly.

An large breakfast buffet was available on the 4th floor each morning, with lots of choice - complimentary in the room charge as well, so no extra cost. I didn't make use of any of the restaurants in the hotel for lunch or diner while there, so I can't comment on them.

There is a small mall just off the lobby near the elevator doors - not too much there for shopping, there is a couple of small convenience stores there where you can buy pretty much anything you'd need for snacks, drinks and toiletries (also a small selection of tourist 'tat' type stuff, T Shirts, hats etc...) - otherwise all I really remember seeing in there were things like a dry cleaners, some small businesses, a hair salon and a couple of massage salons.

Location: possibly a downside to the place for some. It's not exactly far from anything, but the nearest MRT station (Outram Park) is almost a mile walk from the hotel. There is apparently a complimentary shuttle service a guest can use within 6km of the hotel, which will get you to most places downtown such as the malls on Orchard Road, but we opted for taxis, which were always in plentiful supply at the lobby entrance. It's also about a mile from the hotel to the Boat Quay area, with lots of great places to go eat there...

The only real hiccup for me was that there is no ATM on site to get cash - it's a short walk to get to one on the street, but you do have to cross a couple of very busy roads to get to it...

Check out on my last morning there was fast and efficient, no problems at all.
----
Jan 2009 - on my way home from the trip I opted to stay there for another 2 nights, and was again impressed by the staff, rooms etc. The staff in the lounge bar also remembered me from 3 months before, so that was a nice surprise considering it was only my second stay there Breakfast cafe are on the 4th floor was undergoing renovations on this visit, so the buffet was moved to one of the banquet rooms while this was ongoing.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank CanTaff970
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I was in Singapore for the bi-annual Asian Aerospace convention. I was a late addition to the staff in attendance, so I had to take a room away from the center of town. I have a Holiday Inn Priority Club membership, so I aimed for the Holiday Inn Atrium.

The exterior is very impressive, with the smoky glass. The interior is just as stunning, with the gold lights and elevators.

Check-in was efficient. The room was smaller than I expected -- actually, I don't think you could swing a cat in it -- but this is Southeast Asia after all. The bathroom was a typical sink-tub combo. The ceiling leaked thanks to a bad seal on the tub above. Every couple of hours a waterfall would pour through the ceiling and onto the floor. I kept a ready supply of towels handy for the purpose.

The furnishings were a bit dated, but I didn't spend that much time in the room, thanks to the long cab drive to the airport for the show. After sweating it out on the tarmac all day, a bed is a bed, and a shower is a shower.

Breakfast was great at the restaurant downstairs. It was a European - Asian mix buffet. Unfortunately, I was given the "3rd Degree" every morning by the staff. I hadn't paid for breakfast when I checked in, so I had the usual Singaporean inquisition: "Did you pay?!" "What is your room number?" "Are you a guest?" "We have to confirm you are a guest here!" Etc...Etc...Etc. But, the food was worth it!

So, you may be wondering why after all of this, the hotel holds a special place in my heart?

One slow evening I am sitting downstairs in the lobby waiting for the bar to open. The front doors of the hotel part -- and straight out of Hollywood -- in walks a very beautiful woman with a friend. The friend runs off to see someone, and this pretty lady sits at a table near mine. We started chatting, and, as they say, the rest is History. Or, Chemistry. We were married 2 years later!

Thanks, Holiday Inn Atrium!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Davespilot
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We got a room with 2 double beds, and we were 4 in the room (3 adults, 1 kid). Room was clean, spacious, and well-lighted. We have a nice view of the city and the busy streets below. Location is good - walking distance from a small chain of restaurants right across the street. There is an Indian restaurant in that area that serves prata (Indian crepe) with curry - a must try! We went there for breakfast ... twice! I love the cheese-mushroom prata. Affordable and very delicious!

Back to the hotel - concierge was very very helpful! I chanced upon a Filipino concierge who was really very friendly and gives all the tips and info you need when you ask something. Housekeeping very efficient too - no matter how dirty and messy the room was (food wrappers, plastic bags, papers etc here and there - entirely not my doing) when we left it, our room was always in order - spic and span - when we come back at night.

We did not eat in their restaurant - rates were quite pricey.

Lots of big mirrors in the room (I like!). Big cabinet with hangers, with iron and iron board.

Easy to hail cabs to go to the city - there's always a cab queue just outside the lobby. Do check their free shuttle service which drives around the city and drops off/picks up people in some of the popular areas. You save up on taxi fare :)

However, do note that taxi fares can be tricky in Singapore. Additional charges are added during rush hours and late at night. A trip from Holiday Inn Atrium to Wizma along Orchard Road will cost you about 4-5 SGD, depending on how fast your driver drove and traffic volume.

Note that the hotel is NOT walkable to the main shopping malls along Orchard Road. It is also NOT walkable to the nearest MTR station. Best means of transportation is still taxi and bus (which we did not try anymore). There is a shopping mall called Great Wall City about 10-15 mins walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family