“Great base for Orchard Rd shopping excursions”

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #46 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Brisbane
“Great base for Orchard Rd shopping excursions”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Great accommodation in a fantastic location. Right in the heart of the best shopping along the Orchard Rd strip. While the wife shopped I had some quality time in the pool.
Great ambience as you enter the foyer.
Rooms were great, though our room had the carpark view :(

We didn't eat in the Hotel because their prices were a little on the high side compared to all the cheap eateries so close by. Beware - my wife ordered a hamburger through roomservice the first night we got there, as we checked out I found out that it cost $47 Singapore dollars - Ouch!!!!
At "the coffee connoiseur" a just around the corner you got breakfast for two for less than $40. Have a look at this link:

We got a good deal over the net so all in all we were very happy.
I was very impressed with the bathroom, check it out at this link

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
CRM04, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this review, July 5, 2010
Dear RustyStainless,

Thank you very much for the wonderful feedback, accompanied by the interesting videos of your experience. As a reader I enjoyed reading and viewing your visually informative reviews.

Our hotel’s location is indeed one of our most talked about merit. Situated in the heart of a bustling city has its wonderful conveniences, unfortunately also draws limitations on the views from the rooms. Rooms with open views are offered to guests upon request, and of course availability.

I am puzzled to hear that only a hamburger cost you S$47. Indeed our room service menu is priced inline with the market rates and a hamburger is priced at S$29.50. We want to ensure that guests can fully enjoy their in-room dining experience by striking a good balance between price and quality.

I am glad that you got a good deal over the internet, be sure to continue looking out for them. We look forward to welcoming you again!

Patrick Fiat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mermaid Beach, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights - brilliant location - great service. Pool could be better but then again its just a hotel and not a resort.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
CRM04, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear fijime44,

Thank you very much for your kind compliments. You are right! Our location and service are a few of the many reasons why we are a popular choice amongst our guests. I am so glad that you booked with us and gave us a chance to impress you.

At Royal Plaza on Scotts, we want to be your home away from home. We understand that a simple smile from the heart goes a long way.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

near Zürich
Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed in this Hotel for five nights. The rooms were spacious, but dark. The view outside the window was very disappointing. We could only see the next building, just a few metres away, and the busy Scotts Road from the side. The furniture is made off dark wood, what makes the room even darker. However the room was clean, quiet and cool (very important!!). Beds were comfortable. Staff was nice and helpfull. Breakfast was outstanding. If I wanted I coul'd have eaten something different each day. Choice of English breakfast, Chinese, Indian, Danish pastries, Fresh juices made to your wishes and more, more, more. A breakfast here is enough till diner, you can just skip lunch!
It's only due to the poor light in the room that I might choose a different hotel next time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank JSA13
Dear JSA13,

It is wonderful to hear that you loved our rooms and breakfast! Our breakfast has been capturing the hearts of many avid supporters and winning compliments from all over the world. Thank you for reaffirming us!

We seek your understanding that our location of being in the city has both pros and cons. Situated in the heart of a bustling city has its wonderful conveniences, unfortunately also draws limitations on the views from the rooms. However, we do have rooms with open views and will be glad to offer them to you upon request, and of course availability.

We look forward seeing you again so we will have another opportunity to impress you!

Trinidad
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Fantastic location at a reasonable price...
Room was average, pretty decent...
Overall, good stay

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dear Mal-n-Shiv,

Thank you very much for your concise and positive feedback. Our location is a few of the many reasons why we are a popular choice amongst our guests. I am so glad that you booked with us and gave us a chance to impress you.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Clontarf
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We had stayed at this hotel years ago and wanted to return. Room was large and comfortable and breakfast excellent. After a 8 hour night flight we wanted to relax by the pool next day before doing some shopping in Singapore. However we were very dissapointed to find the once great pool area was now reduced to small pool with very little area to sit and surounded by high walls. On check out 30 minutes after the normal check out time we were charged Sin$30 which left us with a feeling of booking elsewhere next time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear ClontarfPorky76,

Thank you for your wonderful compliments about our room and breakfast. Our breakfast has indeed earned a lot of recognition from our guests and I am happy that we have won your taste buds.

However, I would like to share with you that the size of the pool remains unchanged. We merely renovated its surrounding to include a gym, which is perhaps why the pool area appears smaller.

We seek your understanding with regards to checkout time, as much as possible we try to accommodate late check out requests. I am sorry that we could not extend your check-out timing any this time around. Check-outs are at noon. Based on availability, the hotel is flexible to extend late check-out timing till 2pm.

I hope you understand and not let this deter you from visiting us again.

Melbourne
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Stopped here for 1 night on the way back from a recent trip to Europe. Very happy with everything (except the very high drinks prices, but I think that's a Singapore issue, not the hotel).
Excellent check-in chappy who took the time to explain various options, eg, advising me to choose the breakfast now, or pay more for it later if I decided to do it later. I was upgraded to a Premiere room on the 12th floor: it was spacious, quiet and very nicely appointed with everything one could wish for, either for leisure or business travel. No view (my room just looked out onto another faceless tall building) but good light.
There's free wifi in all rooms + my rate included complimentary minibar, though this didn't really amount to much (2 beers, 1 juice, 2 water), it was a nice touch.
Best business-type desk and chair I've seen in a hotel yet - very comfortable and very useful.
The hotel gave me a late check-out for free, plus a further extension (paid for, & reasonable). All the staff were charming and lovely to deal with, the breakfast buffet was sumptuous and overall it was a lovely way to break an otherwise lengthy journey. Brilliant location if you want to go shopping in Orchard Road. I'd definitely return, for the great staff as much as anything else.
Minor gripes: I could wish the above-bed reading lights were capable of being dimmed, they were rather ferocious (however, I suppose it's better than so dim you can't read). The pool is rather small and has zilch view, but for a quick dip it was fine. Pity there was no spa.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Jmbau
Dear Jmbau,

Thank you for taking time to write us a comprehensive review. It is always wonderful to hear feedback from our guests because this is the best way to learn about our guests first hand experience. From there, Royal Plaza on Scotts aims to work towards being the ideal hotel for our guests. I am glad to hear that your stay with us has been mostly pleasant and we have made your stopover in Singapore enjoyable.

Here at Royal Plaza on Scotts, we offer individualized services to our guests according to their needs. If you would prefer an additional reading lamp, we will be more than happy to accede to your request.

I am happy to read that you will stay with us again on your next visit! See you again soon!

Ho Chi Minh
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I actually did not stay here in May 2010 (previous visit was January 2010), I had a booking but decided to cancel it as I had been meaning to take my business elsewhere for some time. The fact that the hotel wanted to charge me SGD300+ for the privilege firmly put the nail in the coffin.
I have stayed at the Royal Plaza regularly whenever staying in Singapore for about the last 4 years whether business or Leisure, partly due to it's excellent location and partly because we had become quite attached to the hotel.
Unfortunately we have now decided to go elsewhere as the hotel's service seems to have deteriorated somewhat, possibly due to the fact that the hotel always has high occupancy due to it's location (they are always relatively full so possibly believe they do not need to work too hard to keep their regulars happy). I have three main issues:
One of the main issues was during the renovations last year, I had family visiting me in Vietnam and we were going over to Singapore for a break. I was a little disappointed that I was not informed prior to arriving at the hotel that there were extensive renovations taking place. The floor our rooms were situated on seemed to be the hub of the operations and the noise and disruption was a little excessive. The hotel were full so offered no other rooms or any sort of reduced rate, even a SINCERE apology (the reception reluctantly apologised after I complained).
Secondly, the hotel provides a free car-park at the back for hotel guests however in January 2010 the car-park was being renovated. This resulted in us having to pay in excess of SGD30 per day for our stay to park our hire car. Again we weren't informed of this at the time of booking!
Thirdly, the reservations team are either over-worked or under-trained. On 9/10 occasions there are issues when I try to reserve a room. I always tend to book by email as our company has a corporate rate with the Royal Plaza. Unfortunately simple instructions or requests are normally ignored resulting in incorrect bookings being made. The problem is made worse due to the fact that it is near on impossible to speak to them over the phone and they do not answer emails in a timely manner (if I request a reservation by email, I do not expect to wait several days for a reply). The final straw was when the reservations team ignored my emailed request to upgrade our room using loyalty points. The room was not upgraded and when I looked at my account several weeks ago, my points had since expired. This is enough to convince me to not stay at the Royal Plaza again.

Other issues:
Free "Hi-Speed Internet" couldn't be slower if it tried
Fitness Center basic and limited

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JobyNam
Dear JobyNam,

Thank you very much for writing a comprehensive review about your experience. We appreciate honest feedback like yours because only with this can we truly work on improving our guests’ experiences.

I read with dismay to find out that your stay with us was disruptive and inadequate. At Royal Plaza on Scotts, we build our business around creating personal touches and great customer experiences. It is true that we are running on high occupancy of late. Nevertheless, we assure you that we continuously work hard to maintain our high level of service standards. Kindly accept my apologies if it was not up to your expectations. Please be assured that the renovations have since been completed. Thank you for bringing the matter of insufficient and delayed information to our attention. In order to increase customer’s satisfaction and ensure a seamless flow of information, you may count on us to look into how we can improve the communication speed and adequacy.

I hope you will not let this one unhappy stay deter you from returning to our hotel. We hope you will give us another opportunity to “wow” you.