“great place to stay”

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #44 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Great place to stay would recommend to everyone very friendly and helpful staff. The room and surroundings are fantastic. Great food and good service. I will stay again. We booked for two nights before our cruise and loved it so much that we booked an extra night after our cruise. It was like coming home and we were upgraded for free as we had stayed there before.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
CRM04, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2010

Hi Ersser,

It is wonderful to hear you love our hotel so much, the feeling is mutual. I am very happy to hear we have made you feel at home. Our staff would be delighted to hear that they have contributed to your pleasant memories of Royal Plaza on Scotts.

All of us look forward to seeing you again.

Patrick Fiat

Write a ReviewReviews (4,520)

Reviewed May 2, 2010

Am local, and stayed for the long weekend to relax as well as shop in the Orchard area. Location was good, just outside the crazy human-packed area of Orchard and yet close enough to smell it (pun intended). 'Twas a last minute booking from wotif.com (secret deal) only on the morning of check-in date. Reception area was busy, but girl attending to me was all smiles and extremely friendly (didn't get the name unfortunately), though it does appear that my last minute booking has not been updated on the system. Not a problem, was given a free upgrade to the club floor which was very appreciated. Some hotels will upgrade u to the club floor with no access to the lounge, but over here, it's full access with all the frills thrown in. Was given a room on the 14th floor, king bed, which is on the (very) small side but came with a spacious bathroom (with a similarly small but nonetheless functional bathtub).

Free minibar and wifi in the room which was appreciated (though a supermarket was just 50m away next door and there's a starbucks and mcDs just outside the hotel). Wifi login was very easy (didn't even require the input of the userid and password printed on the key sleeve), but I was slightly horrified when I opened the door to the fridge and found a half-drunk bottle of orange juice. Called the operator rightaway, who apologised, and the full bar was restored within 10 minutes. The chambermaid even came to the room to apologise personally and claimed responsibility, which was a very sincere and nice touch.

Bed was comfortable and sheets were pristine. Pillows-on-demand available from the operator.

Access to the lounge with high-tea and cocktails was very appreciated, though the service, though no complains, could be less cold. The service from the male attendants were much more warm than those from the female.

Chose to dine at the Carosuel for breakfast for both mornings. Sunday morning was packed full, and once again service was inconsistent, ranging from the i've-never-met-a-more-pleasant-waitress-at-breakfast-at-a-hotel to a downright indifferent and robotic waiter who just wanted to get the job done. Plates were cleared quickly and cups refilled. Monday morning (less busy) met with less attentive service. What puzzled me was while walking out of the restaurant, greeters at the counter were extremely enthusiastic to bid goodbye to the caucasian couple behind us, which made us like we didn't belong there. Rather sad to see such white-supremacist treatment in Singapore still.

Check-out was a fussy affair. I went to the lounge for check-out (efficient and friendly) but still had to go to the reception at the lobby to get the complimentary parking coupon, which was why I avoided going to the lobby to check out in the first place. Waited for more than 20 minutes while only 2 receptionist was manning the counter at 11.50am (which I assumed is the peak check-out time??). I encountered my first below-par service in this stay from one of the receptionists when it was finally my turn to be served, and was met with an aloof and uppity attitude from the lady (who just came out from the back office to open the 3rd counter) which certainly made me feel like I should not return to the hotel. It is pretty sad to leave the hotel with such an impression after such an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Hi metcalve,

Firstly, I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. It is only with feedback like yours that help us truly understand the needs of our guests. It helps us strive forward and continuously improve the quality of your stay.

It is wonderful that you enjoyed the club lounge benefits. We do our best to make our guests feel at home. It is unfortunate that our warmth was not rightly conveyed to at the club lounge.
Please accept my apologies for the unfortunate incident at Carousel. I understand that you must have felt uncomfortable when the staff did not greet you, but please be assured that this small overlook was not intentional. All guests are valuable to our hotel and I hope you will not take it to heart.

I am glad that your check-out was mostly fuss-free. Since your feedback, the complimentary car park coupons are now available for check-outs at the Royal lounge.

I appreciate your comments and feel the pinch for not so sweet endings this time round. However, I hope that you will forgive us and will return to experience the continue improvements we are working on.

See you next time.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

Checked in with my spouse for a weekend staycation since its my birthday. I stayed in this hotel a good 5-6 years before and still had good memories of the hotel Checking in was brisk and took less than 10 mins. My spouse had stated in the reservation form that it was my birthday so the hotel took the initative to bring up a small slice of cake with a knife and fork on a plate. That was a nice gesture, thank u very much! Everything went downhill from then. The room was really stuffy and it took at least 3-4 calls to the housekeeping dept before it was answered. (I dont think 4-5pm is a peak time to call?) The aircon repair guy came in, with his shoes on, stomped all over the floor and took a good 15mins fixing the aircon. He then declared that theres nothing much he can do abt the aircon, he went on into some technical terms which i didnt quite understand and to put it quite simply, he simply said the thermostat thingy is spoilt, we could only hv a FIXED TEMP, so would we want LOW, MED OR HIGH? We chose MED since low would be stuffy and HIGH too cold. So thats it. No more temp adjustments for us. I have to tell u, its SUPER COLD in the middle of the night and theres NOTHING i can do abt it becos i cant adjust the temp! Its crazy. W e requested for a complimentary parking coupon from the desk when we headed out at midnite and was handed a ticket that stated: GOOD TO 30/4/10 1159PM. Now, that was weird. The receptionist assured us that we would hv NO PROBLEM going out although we pointed out that the ticket has expired. Guess what. We were stuck at the gantry driving out because as expected, the ticket has expired! The cars were honking behind us and my irritated spouse had to pay the $16+ charges just not to go to the trouble of explaining to security, running back to recption, etc. It was totally TERRIBLE! The next day, a friend came around and brought a birthday cake to me and it took another 8-9 calls before the phone was answered and my request for a clean plate and fork got through. Another 15mins long wait before the plate arrived. Our check out time was at 3pm because we checked in slighly later the day before. Me and my spouse fell asleep after lunch and when we woke up, it was close to 2.45pm. We did a quick call to the reception to apologise and told them we would check out of the room by 3.30pm. The receptionist was VERY UNACCOMODATING! She simply stated curtly that any extension beyond 3pm would be charged at $25 per hour. Now, thats what i call unreasonable. Here we are apologising in a kind manner and she was curt and rude and sounded like we did it on purpose. This is the last time im ever gonna stay at this hotel.

3  Thank Ashley_Belle
CRM04, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2010

Dear AshleyBelle,

Thank you for taking time to write us a review. I would like to apologise to the unfortunate incidents that you have experienced in our hotel.

I am sorry that we could not do anything for you with the faulty air-conditioner. I understand that it must have been very uncomfortable to fall asleep in a cold room. Please forgive this technical error, we will continue to conduct stringent checks on our amenities without fail.

Complimentary parking coupons are available for guests on a daily basis. It was very attentive of you to point out to our receptionist that the ticket has already expired, but unfortunately wrong information was shared with you. Being stuck at the gantry has happened to me before so I can understand how frustrating the situation must have been for you. I wish very much that we could have done something at that time, to make up for your inconvenience.

I apologise if we did not waive your extra hour charge. Room extensions are chargeable at an hourly rate. The check-out time for our hotel is at 12noon and extensions vary on a case-by-case basis. However, we exert flexibility whenever we can. One of the factors that will be considered before extensions are granted is the occupancy level of the hotel. This is to facilitate our housekeeping team on their room-cleaning schedules and ensure that incoming guests have clean rooms available upon arrival.

I hope you understand that we want to ensure guests like yourself are not kept waiting for their rooms. We would certainly love to extend this 30minutes to you if we were not running a full occupancy period.

We hope you will give us another chance to leave you with good memories.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

My girlfriend and i stayed at the Royal plaza on Scotts for a week in May 2009.The location of the hotel is in a great location (Orchard road) and the rates are very good for a hotel in this location.The hotel staff were all very polite and attentive and the room was very clean , modern and spacious.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
CRM04, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2010

Dear Ageiola,

Thank you very much for such a positive review of our hotel. Indeed, we receive a lot of wonderful comments about the hotel’s location being on Orchard Road. Our hotel’s location in the heart of the city makes it easily accessible, be it sight-seeing, shopping or the business districts.

I am happy that the clean and spacious rooms have made your stay with us very comfortable.

See you on your next visit.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

I was stating in a club room which always makes a difference, but it's a nice hotel. A couple of hundred metres from Orchard Road and Orchard MRT so a good location. Staff all very friendly and helpful. Would stay there again

Dear Muddybath,

Thank you for your short and sweet review. Our location is one of the many good reasons guests book our hotel. I am glad that you found the accessibility a great convenience for you. Our staff would be glad to hear that they had a contributing role to your positive experience with our hotel, and all of us here at Royal Plaza look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

This was my 4th or 5th visit to RP. I would say it was the worst, compared to my other stays, but still acceptable. I would stay here again if I can get a better rate. S$270 or S$318 after tax is a bit much for the room, the bathroom is tiny and has no bathtub.. It's the same price at Marina Mandarin but the room there is bigger, especially the bathroom. I was disappointed on checking in to be given a room on the 5th room, which I believe is the lowest floor, and is where the pool is. Especially after receiving emails from the hotel before I arrived, like they were eagerly anticipating my arrival. I admit I had gotten spoiled to being upgraded the previous 2 visits and expected the same this time. The room generally was acceptable, it had all that I needed, Internet (albeit slower than before) and free soda and juice in the minibar. There was no view but it wasn't a necessity. The only major annoyance with the room was that I was next to a guest who had 2 or more rooms near me. They liked to go in and out of their rooms, keeping their doors open, so the doors were slamming every couple of minutes. It's not the hotel's fault, but i would have liked it if they could have placed these guests away from my room. It's really annoying if you have to deal with other people's selfishness. One of the best reasons for staying here is the location. It's right off Orchard Road, near to everything, shops, restaurants, things to see. Like I said before, I would stay here again, if I can get a better rate, less than what I paid this time.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
CRM04, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2010

Dear hydepark,

Thank you for taking time to write this review on our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that your last stay with us was not as delightful as you remembered it from your first two visits. We do anticipate all our guests’ arrivals eagerly and are very happy that guests like yourself, can feel our enthusiasm and warmth.

We would like to accommodate all our guests as comfortably as possible. In order to help us serve you better, you may call or email us to inform of your room level request. Depending on availability, we will try our best to arrange a room on a level of your preference.

Please accept my apologies for your uncomfortable stay caused by neighboring guests, it is unfortunate that we did not have an opportunity to assist you then. In future, if such inconvenience occurs again, please let us know and we will do our best to see what we can do for you. Kindly be assured that I take your feedback seriously as I am sure this would concern other guests as well. Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

The room rates and availability vary over the span of the year please continue to look out for our best available rates.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

We stayed at The Royal Plaza on Scott's after having the hotel recommneded to us by three different couples who have recently stayed at the hotel. We were really impressed by the location, the cleanliness of the room, the facilities of the hotel and the club lounge which we upgraded to. This was a great idea and I would thoroughly recommend the upgrade. Great food, lovely attentive staff and it is most certainly an advantage to eat your breakfast in this club lounge, rather than with all of the other hotel guests downstairs.

The only complaint I have is the fact that small children were allowed into the club lounge for breakfast and evening drinks. Whilst this would normally not bother me, I really object to paying for an upgrade, then having small children running around, yelling to each other, playing with the food, being rude to staff and generally being very disruptive. It appeared that the hotel addressed the issue after three days as we did not see the children back in the room again - however my suggestion would be that the hotel examines their rulings regarding children being allowed in this room, when clearly, business people or adults do not appreciate young children (who were disruptive and obviously not being adequately controlled by their parents) behaving this way. My only other issue is that it would have been convenient to be able to access the club lounge before we departed so that we could have repacked our suitcase in comfort, instead of in the staff hallway with lots of other luggage. As we had paid for this upgrade ourseleves (and were not upgraded by the hotel), it would have been a nice way to finish our holiday and we would have appreciated being able to get changed, have a quick drink or check our email before we departed. Again, just a small thing which would have made a difference to our stay.

We will certainly be back again - a great hotel, lovely rooms, fantastic buffet breakfast and fantastic location to shops, MRT and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
CRM03, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2010

Dear MelbLovers

Thank you for taking heed of your friends’ recommendation & giving RP a shot. Word-of-mouth is truly the best form of advertisement for any establishment.

I am grateful to all of our guests who have shared their positive experiences in our hotel and have in turn given us a great deal of good publicity.

I am glad that you took the upgrade to the Royal Club floor and enjoyed the benefits like breakfast, afternoon tea and cocktails. I’ve taken note of your suggestions on the ambience of the Royal Club lounge. It is quite important to maintain the right setting at the lounge. We will continue to strike a balance between being business oriented and likewise a family friendly place.

I’m delighted to hear that you will be back at RP the next time you’re in town

We will be looking forward to welcome you back.