“confortable stay”

“confortable stay”
Reviewed February 11, 2009

staff was very cooperative
we got a suite on the 9th floor
location is excellent and at a walking distance from MRT
very nice place to stay and at an affordable price

• Liked — the friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — the looks from outside
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrNeeravjain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
mixnov
Reviewed February 7, 2009

I was in Singapore around the end of last year and I stayed in this hotel. I've stayed in many hotels in Singapore in the past, including the Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental and the Regent. This is my experience with Royal Plaza on Scotts.

As I was checking out, the hotel staff said that they were adding 300 singapore dollars more to the bill (approximately 200 USD). When asked why, they said that I had been "caught" smoking in the non smoking room, and this was the penalty which they are going to impose on me. I stared incredulously at the staff for a few seconds at this accusation.

Now I travel a lot for business, averaging 3 trips a month and have stayed in hotels in dozens of countries. I have never been accused of smoking in a non smoking room. I think the fact that I am a non smoker has helped in this aspect!

I asked the staff how they had come to such a conclusion. The reply was a smoky smell had been detected in the room by the cleaning personnel. And, a manager had been sent up into the room when I was not there to confirm this.

Aside from the privacy issues which we shall not even get into by that revelation, I told the staff that I was a non smoker. At this, they immediately went to Plan B, which was to say, they asked me if I had had company in my room? Another first for me in any hotel, being quizzed on check out whether I had invited someone to my hotel room. I said no, I did not, not that it was any business of theirs.

I tried to be reasonable and calm but I got angry when one of the staff snorted in derision whenever I said that I had NOT smoked in the room. He said that "everyone says that" When I said I had not had anyone to the room, they said "Just so you know, we can check the CCTV footage". After a heated 20 min discussion, to which they refused to budge despite my protestations of innocence, I gave up and left as I had a plane to catch. When I checked my credit card bill a few weeks later, I saw that they did in fact tack on this extra charge, despite the fact that I had not smoked in the room.

These are the disturbing questions: (1) How they can say with 100 percent certainty that someone had smoked in the room? Could not the smoky smell have been there before I arrived? (2) The fact that the staff has said "everyone says that" tells me I am not the first one accused of smoking - how many other guests have also been slapped with this extra charge despite not smoking in the room?

I welcome management's response.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
17 Thank mixnov
UAE
Reviewed February 3, 2009

This hotel will provide you with an unforgetable moments nothing to spoil your stay. Staff was friendly and helpful with a nice smile drawn on their faces all times,Check-in was immediate and efficient, our room was clean, elegant and well-equiped, and the overall stay was luxurious. The location is excelent, with plenty of nearby shops, restaurants and easy access to different types of transportation. Taxis were plentiful both at the hotel and on the streets, very close to orchard road, the shopping road of singapore, nice for walking at night with variety of resturants. I would recommend this hotel.

1 Thank aljudeh
netherlands
Reviewed January 22, 2009

apparently some partial renovation was undertaken there (when?); it is a very old decoration, even sad. lobby is old. "so called superior rooms" are really below average.
hotel is just few meters away the Orchard Road (you may choose other area places than this shopping street). so it might be good only if you come for a shopping stop over; but not few nights there. in addition, the service is below average.
well, nothing special to mention to choose that hotel.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank camok
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 18, 2009

The Royal Plaza on Scotts is situated nicely along the dazzling lights of the Orchard shopping malls. Within minutes of walk, one would be able to access the top shopping malls in Singapore. A definite good choice for the shoppers.

Amongst the top hotels such as the Marriot hotel, the Goodwoodpark hotel, the Hilton, the Hyatt and the Four Seasons Hotel, the Royal Plaza on Scotts would be the one with the best value.

I got a good deal at S$188++ a night, breakfast inclusive, from the hotel promotion.

As for the room, albeit it wasnt as spacious as I would like, the size is still comfortable to move around, the furnitures pretty decent, clean toilet with a bath tub... elegantly decorated.

One of the disappointment I had was that the bed, although clean and white, had gathered quite a bit of dust. Not sure if it was because I had checked in during their off-peak season.

Another disappointment was that the pillow arent very comfortable. A little too soft and fluffy and doesnt provide much neck/head support. However, the bed was reasonably comfortable.

My breakfast at the Carousel Restaurant in the hotel was quite good. Though the spread was not alot, the quality of the food is quite good. I thought it tasted better than that of the Pan Pacific!

The Swimming pool was also another disappointment as it is a bit small. It's at most a 3 meter by 3.5 metre pool and doesnt look alluring...

On the overall, if you are just looking for an affordable stay along the bustling orchard road for your resting place at night, the Royal on Scotts would be good enough for you.

Cheers,
Suying

2 Thank TravelPeeker
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Booked for 3 nights through ZUJI for a superior room. Check-in was fast, but when I got into my room, I was dissapointed with the attention to details for the room...

- Found one of the coffee cup with the tea spoon left uncleaned/unchaged from the previous occupant; there were sticky left over coffee on the tea spoon.
- Shower gel was used, hasn't been changed from the previous occupant.
- There were traces of cosmetics and a big yellowish dried stain on my quilt....

Obviously the room hasn't been remade for new occupant... I should have addressed this to the staff, but I didn't as I didn't want to cause more trouble.. instead I put the 'house keeping sign' when I left the room. Nothing much changed though, the tea spoon, shower gel, and quilt remained the same when I left. You really need to obviously appoint that the coffee cup etc has been used so that they will notice and change them, otherwise it wont be checked.

Apart from that issue, the room it self is very spacious, bed is comfy and the internet is fast. My room on the 8th floor is very close to the lifts (maybe next to the lifts) so it was a bit noisy and the view was bad - an abandoned eerie looking parking lot building... So make sure to ask for room options as they may not ask you.

Location is fabulous, did try the lunch buffet at Carousel - very very delicious! Overall, the 3 nights stay has been pleasant, I thought I would receive a birthday surprise on my 2nd night as I read on the previous reviews that they would.. but I didn't (not a problem though) The only impression left for me was that the hygiene is not a topnotch for a #10 ranked hotel, even a #24 ranked hotel is better. They need to use a better bleach as I found some of the 'clean' towels with huge red stain.. anyway, great location, great stay apart from all of those issues =)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hygiene issues
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank futatabi
San Francisco, Oslo
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I agree with most reviewers that this is a nice hotel and the lobby was certainly better than expected.
Big negativ was the ultrathin doors to the rooms that made any sound in the hallway travel freely into the room.

• Liked — lobby
  • Disliked — Noisy
1 Thank BDA2