“clean, good service, no bar” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Plaza on Scotts

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #44 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“clean, good service, no bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed on business for a week. The rooms were spacious, mini bar with complimentary soft drinks and a beer each day, a good standard of house keeping. The pool and gym are perfectly sufficient and well maintained.
The only disappointment was a lack of a dedicated bar area, You can dial up for drinks to be delivered to the pool but that was a very slow process taking at least 20 mins eveytime. There is an area by the dining room which you can order drinks from but its not a place you want to relax in for any length of time.
My colleagues and I went over the road to the Marriott for evening drinks.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank tets
rpcrm, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear tets,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Your compliments on our rooms, complimentary minibar and facilities are well appreciated. I am also very happy to hear that you were satisfied with the standard of housekeeping and the maintenance of our gym and pool. I hope it made for a more convenient stay on your business trip.

With regards to your feedback, we will look into having a dedicated bar area as you have suggested. Please be assured that we take all our guests’ feedback and suggestions seriously and your feedback has been taken into account – we are constantly looking to improve our services in order to enhance our guests’ overall experience.

It has been our pleasure hosting you for a week and we hope you will consider us again on your next visit to Singapore!

Patrick Fiat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
St. John's, Antigua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Booked directly with the hotel, & was pleasantly upgraded to Premier room on high floor, without even asking. Check in was smooth, friendly and well explained re: free wifi, wifi password, breakfast location, swimming pool/gym location, etc. Luggage were brought into the room promptly and the bell boy explained how to use the free Nespresso machine, complimentary drinks (including free Tiger beer) in fridge, hairdryer placed in drawer, etc. Great intro and welcome indeed, saves me a great amount of time to call the reception for answers when all my possible questions are already well anticipated! That may sound simple enough but believe me, many well-established 5-star hotels don't even do it well even if it is such a simple protocol.

Hotel is right smack in the heart of Orchard Road, located directly opposite Grand Hyatt and walking distance to Ion Orchard and Orchard MRT station. I walked to Marche restaurant in 303 Somerset (about 20 minutes walk) for a fairly interesting dinner. I could have taken the MRT train to Somerset but I prefer to feel the buzz of Orchard Road while walking.

The breakfast is not some cheap processed food served on buffet, but mostly freshly cooked quality food with plenty of variety...certainly one of the best I've ever tried. The restaurant staff numbers are adequate, a mix of experienced and young staffs, cutleries are cleared fast and milk/coffee replenished all without even asking...considering Singapore is not well known for excellent service, I must say this is almost unprecedented. The restaurant has been voted the best restaurant for many years, & it is easy to understand why.

Although the hotel is not the newest kid on the block, you can see that the hotel has undergone major refurbishment and it looks pretty new. Bed is huge, soft & comfortable. Aircon is always kept on even while away to keep the room cool. The pool though small is quite nice. The gym is using Technogym equipment.

Just on price and location you're getting, it is already of great value. But what makes this special is how everything is efficiently run plus the complimentary add-ons & great service. It is how every hotel should be. Fairly under-rated hotel & should be ranked higher than what TripAdvisor suggests.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dckk
Dear dckk,

Greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts!

I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the time you have taken to leave us such a lovely and heart-warming review. Thank you so much for your generous feedback. Valued guests such as yourself certainly inspire and motivate us to continue delivering our brand of service at Royal Plaza on Scotts.

First off, thank you for booking directly with the hotel! Moving forward for future stays, our hotel website is definitely the best place to get the deals with the best value. Upgrades are also possible subject to availability – this is actually why we recommend advance bookings. We have taken note of your positive comment regarding a brief room-orientation as carried out by our staff and will ensure that this is emphasized to further convenience our guests during their stay.

Marche restaurant indeed has an interesting concept with many authentic Swiss choices. There are also more restaurants in ION Orchard, some offering local cuisines too – it is just a few minutes away from Royal Plaza. You can always approach our friendly and experienced Concierge team for dining recommendations. Singapore is renowned for being a food paradise, and I hope you will get a chance to try our famed local delicacies on your next visit.

I will be sure to pass on your kind words of encouragement to our Carousel team. It would mean a lot for them to hear that you have had an absolutely rewarding experience in the restaurant. We certainly hope we will be able to maintain the best buffet restaurant award again this year! Your support has definitely contributed to our success, and we sincerely thank you for it.

I appreciate your thoughtful sharing of all the detailed highlights of your stay. Our guests have shared with us that it always helps to read reviews before visiting a property in Singapore. We are always happy to hear from you. It helps our hotel continually improve when we find out what our guests like or what we can do better. It has been a pleasure having you with us and I do hope the way we run our hotel and value our guests’ experiences is something you will remember our hotel for!

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I stayed there beginning of March 14 while on business trip in Asia. Location is ideal, close to Orchard road and boulevard and all the main shopping malls. Service level is globally very good, staff is efficient, from concierge to reception and waiters. My bedroom was fine, big enough and pleasant. Something could be done for the decoration, though. It is slightly outdated but comfortable. From a cleanliness point of view, nothing to complain, all sanitary fittings worked fine. The only thing which I could criticise is the fact they have loud music in the lobby all day long, which was a little bit too much to my taste.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Alessandro P
Dear Alessandro P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with us.

I am glad to know that you had enjoyed our hotel rooms and our strategic location on Orchard Road. We are appreciative of your kind compliments to our colleagues and I am delighted you found our service efficient and satisfactory.

We are pleased that you found value in our clean rooms and the cleanliness. We will take note of your comment with regards to the background music in the lobby. Thank you once again for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you for staying with us at Royal Plaza and we look forward to having you with us again!

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We have stayed at The royal Plaza twice now. Our last trip was with our then seven month old baby.
The hotel staff could not have been more accommodating. As requested, a cot was ready in our room when we arrived.
The breakfasts are exceptional with a full range of Western and Asian cuisine. The staff were so helpful finding a well placed table to accommodate our stroller and brought a bowl of hot water each morning for us to warm the baby food.
We stayed on the tenth floor and wish we could remember the name of the house keeping lady there. She was so friendly and helpful, cleaning our room when we were out so as not to disturb our baby's day sleeps.
The hotel is situated at the top end of Orchard Road, a short walk to the MTR and the shopping district.
After our stay we realised we had left two baby books in our room. We contacted the hotel via email. The service was exceptional. The books were retrieved and stored until a friend of ours could pick them up. I'm sure they would have posted them to us had we needed them to.
We have recommended this hotel to our family and friends. Already my mother in law and Grand mother in law have enjoyed a stay here, even though she lives not far from the hotel herself!!!
We hope to visit Singapore again at the end of September and will be sure to book this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tor C
Dear Tor C,

Greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts!

Thank you for providing such a glowing review on your recent stay. I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that we were able to accommodate you and your family. It is always a pleasure to know that our service teams have extended warm and hospitable service to our guests. I would be happy to share your review with my team and I am sure they will be elated that they helped shape another positive experience.

Our housekeeping team pride themselves in going the extra mile – I am thus delighted to hear that she assisted in making your stay more comfortable. Perhaps on your next stay, she will be assigned to your floor again. I am also glad we were able to return the books you left behind to you – thank you for writing in to bring it to our attention.

I appreciate the support and recommendation of our hotel from you and your family. It has been our pleasure hosting all of you. Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. We look forward to having you here again in September.

London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is a lovely hotel right in the hub of the main shopping district and is surrounded by malls and shops. The metro station is just a few minutes walk which makes the location perfect for getting around. The staff however I assume are not used to European tourists and did insist taxis are a better way to travel as they implied that changing metro lines was a big hassle (definitely not!) however we found the metro ideal for all local tourist spots from this hotel.

The reception is quite grand and impressive whilst staff are very helpful and courteous. Rooms are an okay size, but modern and very comfortable. The best thing about the hotel is that it is totally halal - this in particular made the incredibly vast breakfast buffet a delight!The hotel was being refurbished whilst we were there so there was quite a queue for breakfast which wasn't ideal but Im sure that will be ironed out once this is complete.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and highly recommend it

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Summer_bil
Dear Summer_bil,

Greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts!

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such kind feedback. We are delighted with the detailed highlights of your stay.

It is heartening to know that you enjoyed our rooms and that our location has served you well with easy access to the metro station, malls and shops. Many of our guests love our opportune location on the iconic Orchard shopping belt as you pointed out, and we hope it will continue being a convenience to you on your future visits to Singapore.

Thank you for your compliments on the breakfast buffet at Carousel. Hats off to our chefs indeed! You must try our dinner buffet on your next stay – the spread is even more impressive.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stayed here for a long weekend with my wife. The hotel is well situated, being close to Orchard Road and the MRT station. Also getting a taxi, even when raining, was easy.
My first impressions of the hotel were very good; quick and efficient check-in, friendly staff, nice room with comfortable bed, etc.
The pool and gym are small, and the gym is not suitable for anyone wanting any kind of serious work-out, since there is neither the weight, nor the range of equipment required.
My biggest issue with this hotel is however the breakfast buffet. Again the service was excellent, but the quality of food was not brilliant, the coffee was poor, the scrambles egg horrible, the cornedbeef and onion wasn't actually cornedbeef but very fatty, low quality mince. Finally, there was no bacon or other pork products available. Singapore is not an islamic state, and I see absolutely no justification for not catering to western breakfast needs. Even in the many islamic countries I have visited, when pork bacon is not available, beef or turkey is offered as an alternative. This may seem like a minor complaint to some people, but hotel breakfasts are one of the best things about staying in hotels, and this one, in my opinion, was very poor.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

What a great hotel and I do mean it sincerely. Great in super friendly staff and great for its location. The buffet called Carousel is amazing and this place blows any buffet that I have been to out of waters. The vast number of choices drives you mad specially for its sea food buffet, WOW. Choices are endless. The hotel is a tad traditional with a touch of modernity. A pleasant music plays in the lobby which greets the guests to this enchanted land. The only negative remark that I have is the lack of a bar or a night club. The hotel was apparently purchased by Sultan of Brunei and that might be a personal choice that he has made but you can get any alcoholic drinks in the restaurant or your room I can imagine. I found Tiger beer in our mini bar and BTW, mini bar is free! Only soft drinks, beer and a few snacks. The pool area could use a little touch up but by all means it's great. The Royal Club on the 15th floor is a great way to treat yourself to a late afternoon snack plus some spirits to go along with it. It's not free and it can be added to your room for a minimal fee but you may have it as a part of your room reservation or the room type so please check with your hotel lobby staff. Overall experience is 100% positive and I will come back to RP once again if destiny takes me there once more.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Bob T
rpcrm, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Bob T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely experience with us. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at Royal Plaza on Scotts and were wowed by choices offered at Carousel.

I am also pleased to inform you that a bar is currently in the works and we are hoping to have it completed towards the second half of the year. Perhaps this would help enhance your next stay!
It has been a pleasure having you stay with us and I am delighted that you had a rewarding experience. Needless to say, we hope that destiny will take you back here and we would love to take care of you once more!

Kind regards,