“Location Location”

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #43 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last 4 years. We love this hotel the location is superb close to cinemas, newton circus and great shopping.

The buffet breakfast is unbelievable and the staff are so friendly. We will be going back in December with members of our family

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank ErnSan
rpcrm, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear ErnSan,

Thank you for your kind feedback.

How nice to be able to have you back with us at Royal Plaza on Scotts! Thank you for your kind compliments for our Carousel team. We are constantly striving to improve and your vote of confidence is much appreciated.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed our prime location in Orchard. Our location certainly makes it easier to shop, drop your bags at the hotel, and shop more!

Meanwhile, our teams are looking forward to your return in December, and hopefully sooner, too!

Patrick Fiat

Write a ReviewReviews (4,577)

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have refrained from reviewing Royal Plaza on Scotts (RP) for the longest time. Honestly, I have returned to RP numerous times after my last comments here. But after our most recent stay in January 2014, I believe another review of RP was called for.

As always, we were welcomed with smiles upon arrival at the hotel. The facade is still pending completion but that did not stop the warm reception we got from our home away from home. Uncle Syed and his son (Saiful, if I am not mistaken) are always there and happy to see us return.

Check in was quick, though we had to wait 10 minutes for our room to be ready. Not that it's the hotel's fault as their normal check in time is 2pm (we were there just before noon). Opted for the Premiere Room this time around and the surprise that waited for us in the room was priceless. I have to say the effort in preparing for it took some thought. My upmost thanks to Julia, Kathryn and Fang Jie for what they prepared for us. I will not divulge what the surprise was but it planted smiles on our faces for a very long time.

Location is a given staying at RP. A few minutes walk from Orchard Road, get ready for a huge dent in your wallet if shopping is your thing. Rooms are always clean, the free (yes free) in room minibar is replenished daily, without fail. Complimentary wireless internet is fast. What more can ask for?

A review of RP will not be complete if I did not mention Encik Ibrahim and Fara from the Concierge Desk. This time around they were at hand in assisting us with our 1st Causeway crossing to Johor as all arrangements made were easy and hassle free. The trip to Legoland Malaysia was the more pleasant with their help.

I dare not forget to mention about dinner we had at Carousel (RP's award winning buffet restaurant nestled just by the entrance of the hotel). Simple advise.. TRY IT! They did not win back to back awards for nothing. The spread and quality of the food served was amazing.

I have travelled a lot in my time, but to return repeatedly to RP and know the people personally behind the services rendered speaks a lot about a hotel. Mr. Patrick Fiat, the General Manager (though I do not know him personally) has a very excellent support team behind him and for that I applaud them.

Well done and thank you RP!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank SandManBrunei

Dear SandManBrunei,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us yet another lovely review on TripAdvisor to tell us of the great experience you had during your stay with us in January 2014. It’s particularly wonderful to receive such heartfelt compliments from a regular guest like you!

I am delighted to hear that you were warmly welcomed back by Syed, Saiful and the rest of the Royal Plaza team. We will always be happy to see you and your family return! I will make it a point to personally thank Julia, Kathryn and Fang Jie for the preparation of your surprise.
Incidentally, I, too, was pleased to hear of their plans for your stay and I am glad that everything was carried out smoothly. It definitely brings a smile to my face as well to hear a valued guest acknowledging their individual efforts to make your experience a more valuable one.

I sincerely appreciate your kind compliments for Fara and Encik Ibrahim who made your trip to Legoland hassle free, as well as to our Carousel team for preparing such a lovely dinner spread during your stay. What a motivating story to share with the hotel’s teams to encourage everyone to strive for service excellence.

As much as you have enjoyed staying with us at RP, we too have enjoyed taking care of you. Do hurry back to stay with us again – it is always something we look forward to. I do agree that the hotel has an excellent support team – after all, it is the people that matter more than our exterior. That being said, we are just a few weeks away from our façade renovation completion and would love to have you back to admire our completed exterior. We promise it will be worth the wait!

We may not know each other personally, but I would like to extend my sincere thanks, on behalf of Royal Plaza on Scotts, to you and your family for your constant support and endorsement of our hotel and for your kind appreciation of their individual efforts.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

It's really Excellent hotel with central location for commuting in Singapore as well as Food-specially Indian and Italian its delight
Specially room is good for small r stay ...it's good for local commuting

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear abbey456,

Thank you for your kind review and for choosing to stay with us at Royal Plaza on Scotts.

I hope you enjoyed the food spread at Carousel – we are looking forward to having you back with us again!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My friends and I just returned from a wonderful stay in Singapore at the Royal Plaza on Scotts. Although the exterior was under renovation, it took nothing away from what lay inside. The interior decor of the hotel was stunning and each time we returned to the lobby it felt like entering our own private oasis. From check in to check out, the service we received was excellent and the location of the hotel is prime for shopping on Orchard Road. Just a short (5 min) walk to the MRT station and ION shopping centre, it was easy to come back mid-day to take a dip in the pool. The room was large, modernly furnished and included the mini-bar service, however this was not restocked everyday as promised. The buffet breakfast was wonderful as it offered a huge selection of both western and asian breakfast foods and accommodated our friend's severe peanut allergy. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel in the orchard area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Kari S,

Thank you for your kind feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed a wonderful stay with us at Royal Plaza.
I also appreciate your patience during our façade renovation. We are currently a few weeks away from completion – do return soon to see our new exterior! We promise it’ll be worth the wait.

Thank you for your kind compliments for our lobby. I am glad that it was able to make you feel at home – we endeavour to be your personal oasis every time you are back in Singapore.
ION is indeed one of our guests’ favourites. They also offer great Tourist Privileges which you may like to explore during your next visit to Singapore.

I regret to hear that your minibar was not restocked daily. If you could be so kind as to drop us your past stay details, it would allow us to then conduct an investigation. Do allow us some time to get back to you. I sincerely hope you and your friends return soon to enjoy our buffet again! Our F&B teams are constantly trying to update the food items to cater to our guests’ tastes.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us at Royal Plaza on Scotts.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I booked this hotel on the back of a special which was offering a discounted rate and a room upgrade. Stayed three nights

The good:

> great location

> good service on reception where Selina sorted out problems with my room...see below

The not so good:

> small room on the premiere floor which was adjacent to the lift. Very noisy; on my second night my sleep was interrupted on several occasions. I complained and was moved to a room on the 10th Floor (non-premiere) for the last night.

> part of the problem with the noise was that the hotel was full of families with children. Anyone could be forgiven for thinking this hotel was attached to a disney type resort. Might be a good idea for this hotel to think about a "quiet" floor with no children.

> when I moved into my new room there was no water and the (free) minibar was empty. I contacted room service who managed to get my fridge restocked after about 60 mins with warm cans which took another 60 mins to cool down...hopeless!!

> pool is small and the area surrounding the pool cramped. On more than one occasion I found all the sun beds occupied.

Overall I really am at a loss to understand the enthusiasm many guests have for this property.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank stirl0

Dear stir10,

Thank you for your valued feedback.

Your compliments for our ideal Orchard location and Selina’s good service are much appreciated. I am happy to hear that the issues regarding your room preferences were resolved to her best ability.

I regret to hear that there were some disappointments during your stay. We will certainly look into your suggestion of having an exclusive floor reserved for Corporate guests. Kindly provide us more information on your stay details to aid our investigation and allow us some time before getting back to you personally.

Despite the less than rewarding experience with our hotel, I do hope that you will give us another chance to take care of you on your next visit to Singapore.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I booked this hotel as it was an Expedia VIP Hotel, this means, I would get double points for booking this hotel and as an Elite Expedia Customer (I travel a lot and its recognized by Expedia) I am entitled to a room upgrade. Needless to say the upgrade I received was far from an upgrade, my room was extremely small with two single beds and no view whatsoever. I went back down to the desk and asked why my room was considered it was an “upgrade.” The front desk explained to me that the upgraded rooms had smaller living spaces and smaller beds but a bathtub. I then asked what a regular room was, I was told larger living space, bigger beds but no bathtub. With that said, I asked to be “downgraded” to a normal room. The rooms are decent, nothing amazing but they are clean, the free mini-bar is a nice touch, they only include soft drinks, orange juice and water.
Overall the hotel is nice and clean, the lobby is very elegant and the breakfast buffet is fantastic…the dinner buffet looked amazing as well but I didn’t have a chance to eat there. The hotel is located right in the center of town, an absolute perfect location.
In conclusion there is nothing wrong with the hotel, there might be some better options out there. I definitely felt deceived by the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
rpcrm, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear AlwaysGl0beTr0tting,

Thank you for your valued feedback.

I regret to hear that you had a slightly disappointing experience with our hotel. With regards to the room upgrade, do provide us with a bit more information about your past stay so as to aid us in an investigation. Kindly allow us a bit more time to get back to you.

I am happy that you enjoyed the complimentary mini-bar that our hotel had to offer. Your kind compliments to our culinary teams are much appreciated. I will be sure to commend them – we will keep striving to improve our buffet spread to improve our guests’ experience.

I can only hope that you will give us another chance to take care of you on your next visit to Singapore.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Please do not be influenced by your first impressions of the Royal Plaza on arrival! The hotel is undergoing some refurbishment and much of the exterior is shrouded at ground level. This said, the worth of a hotel should not to be judged by the external appearance, but what goes on inside!

The Royal Plaza on Scotts is situated on the corner of the renowned Orchard Road and is close to the MIT and bus links allowing easy access to the rest of Singapore. The philosophy of the hotel basically that ‘Happy Staff make Happy Guests’, and this philosophy is in force from the moment you leave the taxi when you are greeted at the hotel entrance. Check in is a breeze and staff are very welcoming and eager to please. We were lucky to have an upgrade to a Club room, but I shall come to that later...

Rooms in the RP are not huge, but this is really to be expected in a Singapore city hotel. This said they are quiet, very comfortable and have exceptional beds. The daily replenished free mini bar and Nespresso (although the latter is now found in many hotels), is very welcome. The club rooms are similar in layout to general rooms, although they benefit from a bath as well as a shower, and l’Occitaine toiletries (home from home)!

Breakfasts are exceptional. The range of food available is vast and choices vary from day to day. Most nationalities and religious persuasions are catered for…and it means that a breakfast plate can be very multi-cultural! Again, staff are quick to remember faces and very welcoming. I can’t emphasise enough the quality of the staff in the RP. They are always smiling and never fail to acknowledge their guests. It is also great to see that there appears to be a very active training programme in force, as some staff wear a ‘Newbie’ badge. It is interesting to see, however, that this is worn with some degree of pride rather than disdain!

An upgrade to Club level was wonderful for me. My husband was working during our stay, and as a freelance editor it is usual for me to have my laptop in bag and work from my hotel room. The upgrade meant that I didn’t have to work from my room, but had access to the Club Lounge where working on the fast free internet connection was great. A constant supply of tea and soft music made my work very enjoyable indeed! Club guests can also have breakfast in the lounge (although we prefer the bustle of the usual breakfast sitting), as well as free afternoon tea and evening ‘cocktails’. Evenings were a lovely experience with attentive staff members who were happy to provide tips on places to go and things to see.

All in all, The Royal Plaza is a very fine hotel. It should be extremely proud of the high quality service it provides…and I (for one), will be returning!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Seatroutfisher-1
rpcrm, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear seatroutfisher,

Warm greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts!

It brings a big smile to my face to read your valuable feedback. Thank you very much for taking the time to pen down your great experience with our hotel in the form of a wonderful review. Indeed, it is what goes on inside the hotel that counts. That being said, we are just a few weeks away from the completion of our façade renovation – we promise we’ll be worth the wait when you return!

Our complimentary mini bar and Nespresso machine are one of my personal favourite ways to begin a morning in the bustling city of Singapore too. I certainly hope these (and the great buffet breakfast spread at Carousel) refreshed you during your stay with us.

I am happy to hear that the Club floor made for a more conducive place for your work to be done. Room upgrades are subject to availability, so I do hope you will choose to stay with us on the Club Floor for your next stay. The Royal Club team has been extremely happy to have had the opportunity to take care of you. I will also be sharing your wonderful and motivating review with my Front Office and Culinary teams.

I am looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to Royal Plaza on Scotts. Do return soon – it has been our pleasure serving you.