“Lovely”

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #46 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed November 1, 2012

By careful detective work and a process of elimination, I worked out that the Royal Plaza on Scotts was a secret deal on Expedia. We had noticed that pretty much everything in Singapore looked phenomenally expensive, so we were keen to pay a tiny bit more than we usually would and get something worthwhile, rather than pay our normal budget and end up with something awful, especially since it was just the one night at the end of our holiday. I decided to go for it at around $250NZ (around $210US).

At that price, this was great value for money, particularly given that Singapore seems like a pretty expensive place accommodation wise in general. We were upgraded (or so we were told) to a Premier room, which was absolutely lovely - huge bed, great bathroom, nice setup, and with a free minibar and espresso machine you couldn't really go wrong. We got very good service, though I will say it is a busy hotel in terms of the entrance and lobby, so there was a wait for some things.

It's in a pretty cool area, though those who are planning like we were to be in Singapore for a very short time might prefer to be somewhere closer to the bay, as that's where we ended up spending our time. Still, the MRT wasn't far away at all, and taxis are cheap-as in Singapore, so location isn't much of an issue regardless.

If you're getting it pretty reasonably/low priced, this place is definitely a good pick. Still good if you're paying average rate but want to be in the Orchard area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheWilsons08

Reviewed October 31, 2012

The staff very friendly, room very comfortable. We stayed here twice in October - we enjoyed the facilities especially the Nespresso machine in the room, internet and the mini bar. We will be in Singapore again in early Dec and we have booked a room at this hote again. Hengky Yaury

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
rpcrm, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Mr Hengky Yaury,

It just about three more weeks to December! It is very nice to know that you are returning to Royal Plaza on Scotts. I have to agree that Royal Plaza on Scotts has an excellent location which makes it very convenient for our guests. Aside from the excellent location, I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the service, facilities and amenities we offer.

I look forward to your visit in December!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

RP has a very convinent location.There is a very nice doorman and check-in service. When we walk in the room, clean and tidy just show up. The staff helped us deal with our luggages. That is very nice for us because we have nearly 7 luggages.

Room Tip: Internet may not very fast
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Sophia L,

Our very much loved doorman! He makes the effort to interact with most of our guests. I am sure this makes it an interesting experience. Anyway, I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have lost count of the number of times I have stayed at the Royal Plaza since my first visit in the late 1990's when it was still a Holiday Inn. As I have said in the past, the staff here is simply extraordinary in their dedication to good service (for which Singapore is famous -- but the Royal Plaza is "good service on steroids"). It begins with the General Manager, Patrick Fiat who sets a remarkable tone for the staff -- who seem to love and deeply respect their boss -- and it shows. They mean it when they ask, "what else can we do for you?"

Add to this exceedingly well kept premises, excellent food, and -- as so many other Trip Advisor reviewers have noted -- a location that is remarkably convenient to shopping, easy transport, etc., and you have real value for the cost of your stay. I always stay on one of the Club level floors and take full advantage of the Club Lounge; just as Patrick sets a great example for the entire staff, Sheda, the Club Manager, does likewise for the staff under her supervision.

I recommend the Royal Plaza without reservation (no pun intended!).

Room Tip: Spend a few extra dollars to have a room on floors 13-15 in order to have full access to the Club.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Trup
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed for four nights and the ambiance is created with utmost care .The staff are extremely friendly.The facilities and amenities are excellent and well maintained.Convenient location.The Break fast services offer immense varieties including Asian menu.Perhaps You may think of adding South Indian Vegetarian menu.Add more vegetarian menu.
Krishnaswamy Nachimuthu

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
rpcrm, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Krishnaswamy,

I am more than delighted to know that you had a great experience with us. With regards to your suggestion, we will take note of that and see what we can come up with. South Indian Vegetarian cuisine sounds interesting to add in the buffet spread. Thank you for your feedback. My team and I will review this.

I look forward to your next visit!

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel during a recent business visit. The hotel seems to be a value for money choice when compared to other hotels in the locality, however my experience showed that you get what you pay for (or less in this case).
First of all, service levels are not upto the mark compared to well established chains. I had also read some reviews beforehand and was expecting good service as a 4-5* hotel but was disappointed. A small example would be non working clock in the room- though I pointed out this to the staff they never turned up to change the same. Quality of furniture and accessories in the room were rather ordinary. Lighting was poor in the room, within cupboard etc. Room size was OK, but overall facilities were very very basic, not even near to a 3* hotel. In room free wi-fi was working fine.
Check-in, check-out were not smooth and took much time. Again, front office staff seemed very much business-like, but service rather slow.
Concierge was helpful in suggesting some dining places. Hotel has some dining choices, but I did not use and so can not comment.
All in all, this was rather an average experience at 5* rates!!!

Room Tip: May avoid this hotel if room rate difference with other nearby hotels is not very big.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

very good location and excellent customer service.It's a world class.Highly recommended for family vacation,business trips or honeymooners.fitness center,sauna and pool are working excellent.piano bar at night time is so relaxing with good singer and good foods.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear socratessison,

I am happy that you and your family had a pleasurable trip in Singapore and it is our joy to be part of it. The way you described your stay at Royal Plaza on Scotts? I can say that you really had a wonderful time.

I look forward to you and your family’s next visit!