“The absolute best hotel stay of my life”

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #43 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I booked a Premier room weekend stay from 27th Feb to 28th Feb at your hotel. I have stayed at numerous hotels all over the world and I only have a few things to say about your hotel: Absolutely World First Class, Mind Blowing, extravagant and worth every cent and so much more!!!

To start of, the staff of the hotel definitely live up to the motto: "what can we do for you". Everywhere I went in the hotel, I was greeted with warm smiles, excellent service and the words, "what can I do for you".

When I booked for my stay online, I enquired if the hotel could do something special as it was a romantic getaway. When I checked into about 3 plus, the reception staff were really warm, smiley and check in was a breeze. The bell boy standing nearby addressed me by name as he helped me keep the elevator door open and press the correct floor. That was just the start of our adventure.

When we arrived at our floor, we were greeted by the sign "premier" and the beautiful carpet stretching down the corridor. Though the air circulation could be improved as it smelled like a horse stable. Stepping into the room, we were blown away by the elegant, beautiful design of the room, that it was exactly the same as the pictures online (some hotel rooms do not look the same as the pictures published). We were excited to discover red rose petals scattered around the bathtub (just a suggestion, would be even better with rose petals in a heart shape on the bed). Thank you for the lovely roses at no extra charge.

On the study table, was a hand-written note with a gift of 2 GV movie tickets, and suggestions about 2 movies perfect for couples. The personal touch of hand writing and recommendations of the movies was totally unexpected and deeply appreciated. We totally did not expect the tickets, much less the recommendations. The welcome card by Arthur Chua the Manager only increased our happiness.

Before we could recover from shock, Rendi called to ask if he could deliver a cake. He came to our room with the cake and introduced himself by giving me his name card, telling me to call him if I needed anything. In all my hotel stays, I never had any manager doing such a thing, much less a cake. The cake was delicious, though too sweet for our liking and could do without the pink bandung flavour around the cake.

During my stay, I requested for 2 pairs of chopsticks and spoons and they were delivered on a tray with napkins too. The bed and pillows were so comfortable that my girlfriend wanted to purchase them, and is curious about the brand and models of the mattress and pillows.

When we went down to breakfast, at the carousel cafe, we stuffed ourselves the delicious food and were so extremely that we did not eat lunch. All your staff were excellent, In particular, 2 staff in particular stood out to me; one was the lady at the noodle station who was proud of the the noodles she cooked and boasted it was delicious and famous, she was was not bluffing as it was delicious. The other was Alex at the fruit juice station who was still serving in spite of having cut his finger and had a bandage around it.

About 1:20pm before my check out timing, I requested for an extension of another hour and your staff were very friendly and professional. The lady receptionist who answered the phone helped me check with her superior before informing me that my request was approved. My check out was a breeze like my check in.

To sum it up, as Arthur Chua quoted Walt Disney in the welcome card, "Do what you do so well that they will want to see it again and bring their friends." Royal Plaza has certainly left a lasting impact on me, and I definitely will be back. Please keep up the excellent standard and raise it even higher with your committed, excellent staff and their strong teamwork.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,582)

Reviewed March 24, 2011

Truly, truly an amazing hotel. The products were basically satisfying, but the service was beyond what I would expect. Well.. It wasn't a chain hotel, so my husband and I thought we would give it a shot since we've read good reviews about carousel. And i - WE haven't regret the decision so far! Good food (I think I've gain a few pounds), good location, great service by staff at the royal club lead by the club manager, Rashedah and her amazing team. Kudos royal club you've truly made our stay a memorable one. We would definitely come back! But first I need to get rid of a few pounds! THUMBS UP!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2011

My wife and I arrived in Dec 2010 and stayed over Christmas, we visit this hotel each year, usually for 3 weeks.On arrival our bags were whisked away from the taxi by the friendly staff and were waiting in the room for us. The express check in was smooth and quick as usual The room clean and well appointed this year with the addition of a coffee maker, a nice touch.The breakfast is a buffet with a fantastic array of food catering for most tastes, a great experience to start the day The evening buffet is amazing with a huge choice of all types cuisine . you will be stretched to find better in Singapore All staff are friendly and willing to help with anything, nothing is too much trouble
We did have a small problem with housekeeping but it was quickly sorted out in a professional way and the Manager visited the next day to check. Again our stay at the Royal Plaza was most memorable. The only real problem with the Royal Plaza is having to leave, we will be returning at the end of the year

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I walked into Royal Plaza expecting a subdued, business hotel type environment - oops. The lobby felt more like a casino/bachelorette preparty than a hotel. Music from an automatic piano blared bad jazz/r&b, and noisy groups poured out of the neighboring coffee shops decked in hawaiian shirts.

That would all be fine, but the walls of the rooms are thin - while I didn't hear any partying up in the rooms, you can hear every door bang or drawer close of the guest next door.

Rooms provide free minifridge beverages (water, juice and two daily beers), as well as free wifi, but the general decor is cheap motelish.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2011

bus stop right out t he front orchard mrt 300 metres down the road mccafe 50 metres down the road.clean rooms hot showers great air conditioning.i thought they could have a deal for guests at the restaurant.staff couldnt do enough to make our 4 day stay memorable.would definitely stay again

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2011

This is a good place to stay with friends. I loved the fact that their wifi was fast and free, also their mini-bar items were all free! We did not use the beer they provided, but they placed 2 packs of oreos since we did not drink the beer. Service is always friendly without being annoyingly close. Location is a few blocks away from ion.

I highly recommend this hotel, their service and attention is a hands-down winner.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights on a stop over after a 3 week trip to Australia and this place was the highlight of the entire trip.

The room was clean and comfortable, a good sized bed with plenty of comfortable pillows, a duvet instead of sheets and blankets which is always good. The bathroom was clean with plenty of complimentary gel, shampoo, a shaving kit, toothbrush kit and towels. The bathroom had a great shower with both a standard shower head and a large rain shower head and strong water flow.

The in room facilities were also exceptional. There is a safe, which is free to use, a full size steam iron and ironing board, tea and coffee making as well as a fantastic Nescafe espresso machine, robes, slippers, hair drier and even an umbrella. There was a large tv and complimentary wi fi in your room, something that most hotels change for. There was also a Ethernet port and cable if you had a laptop but we did not so I can't vouch for this but the wi fi on my phone was easy to connect to and was fast. The room had air conditioning and a complimentary mini bar containing 2 cans of tiger later, a diet coke and a normal coke, 6 oreo cookies, 2 water and an Orange juice. This was filled daily. There was also a large tv with a good selection of channels.

Maid service was daily and there is a switch by the door that illuminates either make up room or do not disturb. I forgot to switch this on one night and was woken by the maid at 0800, but like all the staff here she couldn't have been nicer and apologized profusely for what was my mistake.

The hotel facilities were also surprisingly good. There is a pool, gym and sauna on the 5th floor. The pool is outdoors and there are towels provided here. There is a male and a female sauna and there are changing rooms here which you can use to fresh up if you have a late flight. There is an internet lounge with several computers for you to use and a printer which is also free to use. Ideal for me as I could check in for my flight online and print my boarding pass.

We never ate in the hotel restaurant but it did look busy, probably a sign that it was good. There is a bar on the second floor called the heat ultra lounge. Do not miss this. The drinks as is the case everywhere in Singapore are expensive by European prices but the atmosphere is nice, they had a pretty good live band, grand piano acoustic guitar and singer which complimented the atmosphere. They had a promotion of buy one get one free cocktails one day and a 2 hour beer promotion for a fixed price another. We ate food here is was reasonably priced and good. The menu was an iPad which was a classy touch.

The staff at all times were courteous and attentive. It really felt as if you were in a small family run hotel that cared about its guests and wanted you to have a good time, much better than a faceless chain for example.

The location is right on the junction of orchard road and scotts road and as such is in the middle of town with plenty to do in the locale. We did the open topped bus tour and this is a good way to see the city. Ask at reception for details. We also visited Universal at Santosa which though small compared to other Universal parks was still a good day out. The marina area is also worth a look. The best way to travel the city is the MRT train system. It is frequent and cheap. Use a vending machine to buy your ticket and at the end of the journey return it to the machine and you get $1 back. We even used this to commute to the airport.

Overall Scotts is a super hotel in a great location in a wonderful city.

• Stayed: February 2011