“Expensive but a great luxury choice for Singapore”

The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore
Ranked #5 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed September 22, 2010

This hotel was recommended to us by a family member who had stayed there previously and vouched for its luxury. We were not disappointed. The rooms were very large, especially for Singapore, and the beds were very comfortable. Practically one whole wall of our room was a window, offering a spectacular view of Singapore's skyscrapers, with the Merlion visible across the river. Particularly impressive was the fact that, thanks to another large window in the equally elegant bathroom, this breathtaking view of the city could also be enjoyed whilst relaxing in the bath!

The overall decoration of the hotel is stylish and it has been looked after well. Staff were helpful and attentive and the pool was of a good size. However, we got the impression that the place was very focused on extracting as much money from you as possible. We were charged for breakfast even though we had not asked for it and had not taken it, although to be fair this was remedied promptly after bringing it to their attention. The fact that Internet access is not included in the room charge, and even worse is overpriced, was also disappointing.

Nevertheless, if you have the money and are after a central location, large and elegant rooms and the best views of Singapore from your bathtub, the Ritz-Carlton is the perfect choice.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,997)

Reviewed September 11, 2010

We have stayed in the Ritz Carlton for many yeras on our trips to Singapore. We have always enjoyed our stays there. However over many years the hotel has not changed. It is now looking old and tired and in need of a refurbishment. However other than that, it is still an excellent hotel. The staff are very friendly and always helpful and the food is always excellent and it is well located for shops and other activities, close to MRT station etc.. In my opinion it no longer qualifies as a 5 star hotel due to its outdated decor and furnishings in both the rooms and public areas. We stayed in a suite on this visit and noted that the same old furnishings were still in place as we experienced several years ago. With so much choice in Singapore and many new hotels on offer at similar prices there are better choices available which offer better value for money. Never the less the Ritz Carlton is still a good hotel, just no longer 5 star.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Thsi hotel was a truly wise choice. Although we were there for the Youth Olympic Games and in order to walk into the hotel you had to be cleared by security (every time), the rest of our stay was fantastic.

The welcome was very nice, filled with smiles and a lot of help, keeping the service standard at a maximum, as always in the Ritz-Carlton. We were greeted with some juice, fresh fruit and water (something you truly thanked after travelling for such a long trip).

The rooms were surprisingly spacious. We were all amazed, the rooms are huge. But the best thing about the room is the view. You "sleep" with the skyline. It's wonderful. You see all of Singapore at your feet and all you can think is "I'm the king of the world!".

Something we enjoyed was the wide range of choices we had at the breakfast buffet as well as the ambience at the bar for drinks at night.

We were very close to the Tourist Bus and to many malls, making it possible for you to eat elsewhere at a tighter budget, or just have a strall.

I recommend the experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I have stayed here several times and have been very impressed each time my last trip we stayed 2 weeks i still very high

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2010

The Ritz-Carlton in Singapore is without a doubt very luxurious and glamorous. The rooms are comfortable. The bathroon alone is like another room with fantastic views of the harbour. If you're not the type to feel guilty about using so much water, then indulge. There is probably not a better bathroom in town.

The inaugural Youth Olympic Games were about to open while we were staying there, so there was this exciting view of this huge water arena cum platform that Singapore had built for the opening and closing ceremonies. We could see performers rehearsing from above. You can also see the new Marina Sands Resort cum casino and it is an easy walk to the Esplanande along water. It defnitesly gives the sense of Singapore as a very hip and happening city.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We visited Singapore on the way back to Australia from Europe. We are frequent travellers to Singapore and stayed many of its hotels in the past (borth for work and leisure).

The Ritz Carlton was a top hotel. Nothing, absolutely nothing to complain about.

From the reception (we arrived at 6am after 13 hours flight and we were given a room for free to sleep till our rooms were available) to the guest relations (who spent 20 mins finding me and booking the German beer restaurant), everything was extremely nice.

The staff even opened the Business Centre at 1am just for me (to allow me check my seats through the internet). What more can anyone ask for?

I have included some photos to show you the views from the room - absolutely magnificent.

Highly recommended and even though it is a bit expensive (even for Singapore standards), you definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I had an enjoyable relaxing stay at this hotel. I loved many aspects of the property, the club lounge, the pool the service and warmth of the staff. It was what one would expect from a top brand name hotel nothing more, or nothing less. My main disappointment with the Ritz Carlton on this stay (and other top 5 star properties anywhere in the world on other stays) are the extorionate rates they charge for the use of a computer to check an email. The charge 15SG$ an hour to use a computer in their business center is a rip off. Thus I paid another 100SG$ per night to upgrade to a club room to have access to a computer. This antagonised me and would only encourage me to choose another property on a future visit. Please remember that not all people are on expense accounts and the facility to check an email is as important to some customers as a morning shower. As long as the Ritz Carlton or any other hotel for that matter continue to charge outrageous rates for the use of an internet I will not in principle use that facility again.

Having said all that this hotel proved itself to be in a category and class of its own when something went wrong. Let me briefly tell you the story. I always travel with an Ipod and listening to music is an important feature of my holiday. On the day before I left I could not find my Ipod. I checked at the swimming pool to see if I had left it there, but to no avail. One hour after reporting it missing, I received a phone call from the head of housekeeping. They had indeed found my ipod. I had left it on my bed.
It was removed with linen and towels and sadly went into the wash. This was my own fault for not taking better care of my own property. However the Ritz took complete responsibility for the damage that was done. The head of housekeeping offered to replace the Ipod, and she understood fully that I would miss my music on a long flight back to europe and was not going to allow that to happen. She bought tapes of all my favourite songs and artists. Over 300 songs were downloaded (in her own time) on to the new Ipod for me and then graciously given to me with a written apology, a bottle of wine and a sincere thank you, for my understanding that what happened was an unintentional accident. I am still over the moon with the graciousness by which the Ritz in Singapore handled this problem. The service provided to me with regard to this matter was beyond all reasonable expectations of what a hotel should deliver when something goes wrong. The matter was handled magnificently and the head of housekeeping is a credit to this beautiful hotel. I will never have a problem staying here again for such a service delivered with real quality and style.

Please please do something about your crazy internet charges

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo