“I have a couple of remarks”

Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Ranked #10 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Our room was a bit musty from the humidity, this could be better attended to by maintenance.
Keep an eye out for monitor lizards. They sometimes like to join you in the man-made lagoon and will shock you when you see them swimming especially the kids!
Please have a lot at your room service. Needs some upgrade.

• Stayed: June 2005
1  Thank DohaRgb
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore

Reviewed August 5, 2007

This hotel could do with a major upgrade of facilities ; it feels old and could therefore do with a major renovation. Overall, not a good package for either the business or leisure traveller.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Gregory1972
Reviewed August 3, 2007

My wife and I wanted to get out of town for our anniversary and chose Singapore as our destination. It was our first time staying at a Shangri-la property, but it looked like just the place for a relaxing weekend. We couldn't have been happier with our choice.

From the moment we arrived to the time of our departure, we were treated to wonderful service. We stayed in the Garden wing with a view over the pool. We arrived to find an anniversary cake waiting for us in the room .. a really nice gesture and a welcome sight after a long flight!

The pool was wonderful and we enjoyed spending our mornings there. There were usually few people there before 11:00 and was very relaxing. The service around the pool was fantastic.

The hotel is a short walk from Orchard Road ... no more than 10 minutes down the street.

We had a great stay and look forward to staying at another Shangri-la again soon. We can certainly recommend the Shangri-la Singapore without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank StrudelMonkey
Reviewed July 31, 2007

This was my first stay at the Shang, a two night stop-over in the legendary Valley Wing. I was well versed in what to expect, having carefully studied reviews here on Trip Advisor. Even so, nothing prepares you for quite the scale of this place, or the outstanding level of service. Within minutes I was being greeted by name, with my every need catered for, including needs I didn't know I had! The VW is simply majesterial, and for just $200 on top of the great rates from Singapore Airlines (and, for my second night RMG, aka AsiaBestHotels), it's more then value for money. I was quite happy to sacrifice the Garden Wing's balcony for a view over the pool which was breathtaking. Often throughout the day I'd pop back into my room to find little upgrades: a little chocolate treat here, a poignant passage from the 'Lost Horizon' there. If you take advantage of the laundry service, the way your clothes are delivered back to you is the icing on the cake - wicker baskets, gold trimmed lace around fine tissue paper. Magnificent.

As an aside, I have nothing positive to say about my experiences with Singapore Airline's transfer service ('SH Tours') who twice failed to show up - once for the night safari and second for the transfer to the airport; apparently it's beyond them that a hotel can have more then one entrance and despite verbal assurances that they understood that the VW has it's own lobby, I had to make my own way to both places after hanging around waiting for a bus that never showed up. So if you're going to do the stop-over (the hotel rates aren't any better then ABH, by the way) don't bother with the bus service.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank spurious
Reviewed July 29, 2007

The Shangri La Hotel epitomises much of what Singapore has to offer. Great city views, fantastic hospitality, excellent food, lush gardens and perfect business facilities.

I wish I could have stayed more than 3 nights in this hotel. My wife and I had booked the cheapest rooms available as we were planning to use the hotel as a base and spend most of our time exploring Singapore. Upon arriving we were very surprised to be taken directly to our room for check-in by a courteous and knowledgeable member of staff, who quickly got the formalities over with; and then helped us with our many queries about Singapore. The room and bathroom were large and had all the ameneties one would expect of a modern 5-star hotel these days. We had a great view of the city and the lush gardens surrounding the hotel. We were so happy with our room we wondered how much better the more expensive rooms could possibly be!

The public areas and the huge lobby were decorated in a combination of contemporary and oriental styles. We never had dinner at the hotel, but the breakfast was out of this world, leaving nothing to be desired. You could try something different for many days and still be very full each time. We also had some drinks and snacks by the pool, and like the rest of the hotel the standards were exceptional.

I loved the fact that the pool was not gimmicky and was large enough for a proper swim and relative privacy. I took my laptop to the pool one day and was surprised to be able to get free Wifi there. I don't know whose wireless router I was using, but thank you for letting me check my emails!

The only problem with the hotel is that because it is in a residential area (a lovely green prestigious neighbourhood by the way), taxis are not as common as the hotels in the commercial districts; and at 'peak times' you can be in for a few minutes' wait.

If you've already booked this hotel, don't worry, well done, you've made a great choice.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank LondonMammoth
Reviewed July 26, 2007

On our return from Australia, myself, my wife and our 15 year old daughter had the pleasure of stopping for two nights at the magnificent Shangri-la hotel in Singapore. We were greeted at the hotel door with orchids for the female members and made to feel very welcome indeed. I had booked a deluxe garden view room but discovered to our delight that we had been upgraded to the Valley Wing suite. The suite was amazing, with complementary chocolates, butler service, pre-prepared headed notepaper, 42” plasma screen, television in the bathroom, luxurious bath robes and so on. We had complementary breakfasts in the wonderful Summit Room, complementary drinks and canapés all day long in the lobby area. The pool is absolutely superb and the food in the 24 hour restaurant excellent.
The best aspect to this hotel however, is the staff. These are the most professional, courteous and friendly staff we have ever experienced. I had read previous Trip advisor reviews of this hotel before we booked and they are all understated! We were treated like royalty and made to feel that we were very special guests. Nothing was too much trouble and we were made to feel that there was a genuine wish to ensure that we had a great stay.
The Shangri-la in Singapore is without doubt the best hotel we have ever experienced. Thanks to all in the Valley Wing for our short but unforgettable visit - you should be very proud of the standards you have achieved.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank ClaretJug
Reviewed July 14, 2007

I was in Singapore for 5 days on a business trip. Normally I stay at the Fullerton because it's a 5 minute walk from our Singapore office but they quoted rates that were twice the Shangri-la's. What's worse Raffles the Plaza quote rates that were 3 times the Shang's rates!

I liked the Shang a lot. The service was great, room service took 15-20 minutes, the breakfast buffet at LINE was excellent, lots of variety to choose from. I even got 50% off at the breakfast buffet because I joined the Golden Circle Club!

The only thing that was kind of annoying was that if you had to get to the CBD (ie., Raffles Place) at around 9am and you left the hotel at 8:25am you would be standing in line for a very long time to get a taxi. I don't think this is the Shang's problem, the guys called taxis for us... it's a problem the Singapore gov't should address. You can never find taxis right off the street and if you call for one you have to pay a few $$ extra. Slightly annoying if you're not familiar with these unwritten rules.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business