“Once Again fantastic”

Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Ranked #10 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 22, 2007

This is my second visit to this hotel and I again booked into the Valley Wing, therefore I can't comment on the rest of the hotel.

What I can say though is the Valley Wing is spectacular. The personal service you receive from the moment your car pulls in the driveway is second to none. The receptionists is extremely helpful and after being presented with an orchid take you to your room (via a private elevator only accessed by residents of the wing).

The rooms are luxurious (although no balcony) and the maid service is first class. The bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the bathroom is one of the most luxurious I've experienced in a hotel. All the extra touches are there to make your stay special.

The bar area (where drinks are complimentary) is light and airy and the harpists adds to the lovely atmosphere this hotel promotes.

The staff are wonderful and will do anything for you (including fetching band aids and tweezers for a splinter!).

The hotel is just wonderful and if you get the chance to go there...then GO!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank CHabroad
Write a ReviewReviews (5,197)

Reviewed March 8, 2007

Me and my wife have just returned from our honeymoon where we spent the first 5 nights in the garden wing of the Shangri La hotel in Singapore. I had used trip advisor to choose this hotel and was I am pleased to say that this hotel lived up to the hype in all respects.

From check in through to exit this hotel was a dream and the rooms, breakfasts and blue bar were truly something to behold. Cannot recommend this place highly enough!

Far enough away from Orchard Rd to not hear the traffic but easily walkable although complimentry shuttle services are laid on throughout the day.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Malcolm100
Reviewed March 4, 2007

Having been born in Singapore I had to return for my 50th Birthday to see what it was all about.

We stayed in the Garden wing on our first visit, which was 3 days before going on to tour places in Malaysia. There was nothing else to compare with on that trip and we vowed to return and bring our daughter.

In 2006 we went back for 4 days and as I had phoned ahead to say that I was coming ,I was expected

What I did not expect was the upgrade to the Valley wing. this was Wow with bells on. The most wonderful service and attention to detail, we stayed whilst there was royalty from the middle east staying and we were treated as well as they were if not better.

They would spend hours with my young daughter doing her hair and playing games with her.

I have read the other reviews, and all the compliment are true, this is a wonderful place to stay and relax.

Breakfast in the Valley wing is like the best dining experience ever and I certainly rate it above the Savoy in London (sorry Gordon).

This year we are going back, Yes I can stay at a lower cost Hotel but the staff at the Shangri-La have earnt my loyalty and this time I am staying for 2 Whole weeks In theValley Wing.

Trust me You will not be dissapointed.

Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank justjack.buckland
Reviewed February 26, 2007

The vicinity of the hotel is not what you would expect of a 5 star hotel, however once you alight from your car that feeling swiftly changes. We were met by numerous hotel staff who welcomed us to the hotel. The checking in process was highly efficient and as everybody else does we upgraded to the club floor, well worth the extra money.
Our room was spacious and luxurious withsplendid views if Singapore. The club floor was an added bonus, wonderful service and excellent food.
We have stayed in 5 star hotels throughout the world, the Shangri La in Singapore takes some beating, I would highly recommennd it to anyone.

Stayed: December 2006
10  Thank Cloughie
Reviewed February 24, 2007

I upgraded to the Valley wing (before I left) as a result of previous reviews. Hotel was every bit as good as I hoped. Super room, fantastic bathroom, great service. Will return.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank markanddoris
Reviewed February 19, 2007

I used to live in SIngapore and I've also visited as part of many holidays and business trips. I've therefore stayed in many of the high-end hotels but this was my first time in the Shangri La. I enjoyed my stay and would come back but it didn't blow me away like some of the other hotels in Singapore have done.

Service - front desk was absolutely excellent. Check in and check out very quick with no problems and wonderfully friendly staff. However, the service at breakfast and at the Lobby Bar was poor. At breakfast, I was kept waiting ages before I was seated, they brought me coffee instead of tea, took ages to change it etc etc. In the Lobby Bar I timed it - I was kept waiting 25 minutes after ordering a cocktail and then it took them 15 minutes to bring me the bill after I asked for it.

Rooms - lovely. I stayed in the Garden Wing and my room was very big and had a lovely balcony which I sat on every afternoon. The bathroom was very spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable.

Pool - Nice pool but crowded. I was there for Chinese New Year and by 10am, they had run out of sunloungers and were therefore bringing chairs out of the conference rooms.

Food - pricey but good. Room service was very quick. Excellent choice at breakfast (sadly I didn't have enough space in my stomach to try everything).

Location - nice location in the leafy residential area of Singapore. Very short walk to Orchard Road. This is a good location if you want a relaxing stay, away from it all. It's better to stay by the river or Marina Bay if you want easier access to restaurants and bars.

All in all, this is a nice hotel but I think I slightly prefer the Ritz Carlton and Pan Pacific.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank Anjali1007
Reviewed February 19, 2007

My wife and I arrived at the hotel on the first leg of a round the world holiday. Fortunately we were upgraded to the Valley Wing which was wonderful with beautiful rooms, spacious and extremely comfortable. The staff were so friendly, courteous and helpful and made you feel special. The hotel set a standard that we never achieved in any other hotel in Australia or USA. We cannot wait to go back as a stopover en route to Australia or New Zealand and would always recommend the Shangri La

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple