Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Marriott Hotels
$258
$173
  • Restaurant
One Farrer Hotel & Spa(Singapore)(Great Value!)
$186
$163
Crowne Plaza Changi Airport(Singapore)(Great Value!)
$143
$529
$312
MarinaBaySands
  • Pool
Park Hotel Clarke Quay(Singapore)(Great Value!)
$134
$92
Official Website
5,397 results
All reviewsgarden winghorizon clubsummit roomwaterfall cafeorchard roadshang palacepool viewlobby loungehigh teabeautiful hotelour honeymoonbotanical gardensfive star hotelchinese restaurantan upgradedeluxe roomlong flight
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We've been staying in the Garden Wing of the Singapore Shangri-la for many years. Why do we go back? Although the trip is always for business for my husband I go along for the few days and we catch some relaxing times each day. The staff as, as one would expect, very helpful. "Welcome home" they say as we come back. The rooms in the Garden Wing are light and recently refurbished. Looking out over the pool from a high floor (I don't want screaming kiddies thank you!) is lovely and of course there is a balcony for quiet sitting. I have a horror of hermetically sealed hotel rooms so a balcony is a must for me.

The room is OK, nothing spectacular and the round glass table does not do duty as a desk (a change from the old style which I much preferred). The pool is quite wonderful, one of the best hotel pools I've encountered. The Waterfall Cafe, newly opened is a haven for breakfast and lunch. I prefer it to the huge "Line" restaurant because the supermarket atmosphere there is not to my taste. The food selection is amazing though I admit.

The only thing I loathe about the Shangri-la Singapore is the signature scent which assaults you as you enter the lobby. I understand that most hotels these days want a signature scent but this is quite dreadful. It's so strong that I want to cover my face as I enter. Going to the lounge for the complimentary tea time nibbles (Garden Wing only) is almost impossible, Can you imagine eating with cigar smoke around you? The perfume is almost as strong and is not calculated to make you want to eat.

Why do hotels feel it necessary to do this? A subtle fragrance may be OK but this is like a lady of the night who has thrown a bottle of cheap cologne over her. Truly!!!! HK Shangri-la has the same scent of course but it's much less overpowering. If I'm honest it reminds me of toilet sprays; yes, that's the truth. So if you can get past the lobby olfactory assault and into the Garden Wing (no scent!) you'll have a great time. Does anyone else feel this way?

Pack your gas masks!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ustaza
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in a Horizon Club Deluxe room. Huge room with different sleeping, working and sitting areas. Exceptionally well equipped and comfortable. Not cutting edge style by any means but very comfortable.

I am a big fan of the Horizon Club. This is a huge hotel but the service in the Horizon Lounge in the evenings is superb and it feels exclusive. Very nice wines and gracious service. Breakfast in the club is wonderful. Not a huge choice but quiet, civilised and restful with incredible service. I tried breakfast at The Line and would not make that mistake again. Badly designed and dark although the food was good.

The public areas of the hotel feel a little old fashioned compared to some of the more modern offers around the Marina Bay area. However, the pool area is the real selling point here. Huge pool with lots of loungers in a large and well established garden. Great for families and would be a very relaxing stopover location.

Ate in the waterfall cafe. Service was very friendly (maybe a little overfamiliar) and the food good.

I don't really like Orchard Road but I needed to be in this end of town. It's a short walk to the malls but so much of the action in Singapore is now by the waterfront. I think it is a great location for families and people looking for relaxation but not necessarily those looking for a wilder time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Skotti56
Reviewed June 10, 2013

After travelling around Europe for 3 and a half weeks Singapore was our last stop before heading home. The Shangri la never lets us down and we have stayed in a few, this however is pure luxury. We always stay in the club rooms. From pick up at the airport to our check in nothing was to much trouble. All the staff are very attentive and willing to assist with anything. Location is walking distance to Orchard road. Food is farbulous where ever you eat at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MacnMePerth
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've always been a great fan of Shangrila hotels. This one is particularly interesting in its architecture and lushness within the city. It is in town but away from the busy crowds of Orchard which is just 10 mins by foot. The lobby is grandiose as the hotel is, service was good at least for me, a Golden circle member. I particularly like my room at the garden wing as it is truly in the midst of the garden with the Waterfall Cafe just a few steps away. The waterfall Cafe is a great place to have a healthier yet creative option for breakfast (order what you want and they'll cook it for you) tucked away quietly on the poolside. I prefer this side to the busier The Line cafe where a huge variety of selections for the breakfast buffet is available.

I am giving this a 4 stars only despite all the goodness that shangrila can offer because of a few little things - first is the fitness center. It can be so packed that one won't be able to do anything especially at peak time which is around 6 to 8 am. There were a lot of machines that were not functioning... out of order, on maintenance etc. Likewise the machines are not so clean. this department needs improvement. Second, the entrance to this fitness center is not easy to find especially when coming from garden wing. The signs in the hotel are not so clear. Because of the large area, there should be more signs to each tower or wing. This will allow easier navigation around.

This hotel can be very busy with the international and local crowds because of its conferencing ability. If there are conventions / conferences going on, the restaurants can be so packed so make sure you strategically plan your meals and activities.

Overall, a good hotel to stay in if you want to be in the city center yet have an awesome break in a resort like atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank youricat
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel is the ultimate in grand...and being a tennis player enjoyed having a hit and then into the pool which is set out extremely well.

The room was great and couldn’t fault it at all. Like most of the hotels in Singapore it misses the mark on some of the most basic things... coffee.

If you order a latte it will cost you $12(including tax). Even the urber rich no a rip off when you see one and the staff feel the same way. I had a little joke with the staff at the bakery about how they can give me a chicken pie and donut(both amazing mind you) for $7.50 but charge so much for coffee. They both agreed and told me that everyone says that... I asked them who makes these decision and they said management. I couldn’t help but think common sense would tell you but charging a more reasonable price for coffee would help sell 10 times as many! God knows why you would charge so much when no one is buying it.

I will say though the staff were great and it isn’t their fault and they were lovely. In fact one lady was kind enough to get us all a latte for free! go figure!

Would i stay again... Yes... but they could make so much more money out of coffee lovers. ;)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family