“Old world elegant style, beautiful property”

Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
Ranked #10 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I was upgraded to the Valley Wing. This is my second stay at the property having stayed in the Garden Wing last time. The Valley Wing feels like an elegant Parisian hotel -- think Ritz. The Garden Wing feels far more contemporary. Both wings are beautiful so it really comes down to your personal preference. The rooms in the Valley Wing are huge.

+ve

swimming pool and gardens are extensive and beautiful (this is the hotel I would stay in if I was in Singapore with my family and kids)

the hotel feels very elegant in the classic Shangri-La way

the breakfast buffet choice in the main restaurant was comprehensive although I preferred the a la carte service in the Valley Wing

-ve

it is a little bit of a walk to the MRT station which is a pain in the rain

the service can be hit or miss..on my first stay the service at the garden cafe at breakfast was woeful in terms of speed and accuracy

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank RajTRay
Write a ReviewReviews (5,249)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I admit I usually stay at the Shangri-La when I come to Singapore. But I will add that I also travel widely in Asia, Australasia, Europe and the Americas and feel I know a good thing when I find it. The Shangri-La Singapore is that good thing. It is fairly large, but the staff always make you feel really welcome and go that extra mile to encourage you to relax and feel at ease. The surroundings are opulent, very asian, and I never stop loving the choengsams and dresses with high slits - so elegant. How do they perfume the air with that signature scent?

There have been extensive recent upgrades around the pool area to smaller reception and conferencing facilities as well as the whole Garden Wing (which were being built during my last stay at the end of 2011). All very modern, asian, and smart. I usually try to go for a Premier Tower Horizon Club room. Huge (for longer stays), not too expensive if booked in advance for this grade of hotel, and the Club F&B can sustain you all day long in some style if you so wish.

1  Thank mjtlee
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Can't resist the top quality of the hotel and the large breakfast buffet each time I visit Singapore. This trip they where even more helpful to make sure I get a great breakfast I can have (gluten and dairy fee). The waiters are friendly and caring. The rooms are creatively decorated and the beds super comfortable. Love that Orchard Road is just walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Desiree D
Reviewed March 27, 2013

had a pleasant stay at the Shangri-la. its a great location. really feels like you're in the middle of leafy suburbia - yet you're on 5 minutes walk from the buzz of Orchard Road! nice rooms, lovely bathrooms, nice pool and very well equiped gym. if you take your exercise seriously, you wont be dissapointed - full range of Life Fitness, Cybex and Technogym equipment.

Breakfast is very good with a massive selection of food on offer - even sparking wine, if you're up for a tipple while the day is still young! :-)

ourflight wasnt till 8.00pm, so we asked when we coudl check out and the told us 3pm was no problem at all (and no additional cost), which helped out a lot. i would come back again. i did feel well looked after.

1  Thank DubaiFraser
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Was in SIngapore for business meetings and the Shangri-La took great care of me throughout. Arrived in from Tokyo late at night and the hotel car was waiting and got me to the hotel quickly. Check-in, even at 2am, was a breeze and very efficient. My room was updated, comfortable and had what I needed (eg wifi, minibar with water and snacks, etc). The gym and pool were great and the Japanese restaurant in the hotel was very good (and I am not a hotel restaurant fan by any stretch). Staff from start to finish could not have been friendlier.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DC_travellers
Reviewed March 26, 2013

If you don't want to be near the Marina and require a decent hotel, this is to be recommended. We booked a king size room in the Garden wing, which is quite select compared to the Valley wing, and is much newer. The accommodation is designed around a lovely palm leaved garden and Koi pond, over nine floors. The rooms are spacious, with a seating area, dining area, large bathroom, and patio area.The Garden wing has it's own restaurant, for both breakfast and dinner where you can dine either in the restaurant or by the side of the outdoor pool. All the staff are friendly, polite and helpful. The reason I haven't given the rating five, is that the restaurant attending staff, though helpful and friendly do require a little prompting, the attention should be in the unseen detail, and here it wasn't. We had to prompt to order and then again to proceed with the next courses, to review our bill we approached the restaurant reception desk as know one was available. Whether they are short staffed, or need more refined training I wouldn't like to say. However this is a very nice relaxed hotel.

1  Thank RedPartridge
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Firstly if you are reading these reveiws because you haven't booked yet - just book it!

We stayed here at the end of a Cruise, for our 25 wedding anniversary, at the beginning of February and the 3 nights we spent here just made the whole holiday.

We had upgraded and stayed in the Valley Wing and it was well worth the extra. From the moment we arrived until we had to leave we were made to feel so special by all of the staff.

Its not clear from the website or when you book but part of the upgrade gives you unlimited drinks in the lobby bar from 10.30am to 10.30pm. Any drink you would like and after a short while the staff have remembered your favourite and just keep topping you up - a bit dangerous but great. One afternoon my husband was feeling a bit under the weather so went upto our room and I decided to stay and read my book on the patio, sipping Champagne. In addition to the drinks there is also a range of different snacks throughout the day in the Lobby. From 3.30 to 5.30 afternoon tea and then from 5.30 to 7pm canapes, but not the normal canapes the most amazing buffet of savoury and sweet snacks you can imagine - you really dont need to go out and have dinner!

We did, reluctantly, leave the Valley Wing and explored the rest of the Hotel and it was lovely everywhere, clean and all the staff were friendly and approachable. We ate twice in the hotels Chines restaurant - amazing.

It's only a short walk to the underground or you could catch the free shuttle bus that goes from the main reception to the metro entrance. A daily pass is about £10 and gives you unlimited travel on the metro. You do have to pay a 20 Singapore dollar deposit for the plastic card but this is returned when you hand back your card, which you can do at the airport. We were a bit wary at first but it was so easy to use, so clean and well sign posted. People were so friendly and even gave up their seats for us - wouldnt happen on the underground in London!

For our anniversary we had booked a table for dinner at Raffles, which was totally disappointing. We had a Gin Sling in the Long Bar, which was over priced at £15 each, unless you ask for it to be made to order it comes from a premixed gun - yuk. The service was bad with surly staff and long waits. We then went to the Grill Restaurant inside the main hotel and it was very quite, no atmosphere and nothing inspirational about the menu - so we got back in a taxi back the safety of the Sangri La. Who on our return, on hearing our story, made us the most amazing Gin Slings ever.

Not sure we can wait another 25 years before we go again.......

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple