“The very best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Lincolnshire
“The very best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Kuoni booked us into the Shangri-la, Singapore and we think it was the perfect choice. We were in the Valley Wing and the room was large and well furnished, with a King size bed, settee, table, desk and dressing table. A seperate area included the wardrobes and had a seat - useful when changing shoes. The bathroom had a tub and a walk-in shower and double wash basins. There was also a seperate toilet. Internet access is complimentary

The Valley Wing is the quiet area of the hotel, with a reception and lounge area. When we arrived, a receptionist came with us to our room where she checked us in. My wife was presented with a beautiful Orchid. Our room price included breakfast which was taken in the Summit Room restauant. A buffet allowed the choice of fruit, cereals, etc and this was followed by a choice of main course from the extensive menu. The meal was beautifully, freshly prepared. The waiters were very attentive and remembered your name from the day before - nothing was too much trouble and they would serve the whole meal to you if you wished.

We were impressed by the complimentary delights served throughout the day in the Valley Wing Lobby Champagne Bar. Light snacks, afternoon tea, canapes as well as champage, wine and other drinks were provided. One the day we left, whilst sitting for a time awaiting our transfer, the waiter brought sandwiches, scones and cakes (high tea) - all with the hotel's compliments.

The hotel also has a Tower Wing. This is more of a holiday part of the hotel, with many children and a noisier restauant. We thought, allowing for the complimentary items we received, and the quiet ambience of the Valley Wing, our travel agent had made the best choice in what several local people said was the best hotel in Singapore. Although away from the noisier centre it was easy to get a bus or taxi nearby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SnapperLincolnshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Limassol, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

staning hotel. they really made me feel like a king. excellent rooms. very spacious. i was there for my honeymoon and i enjoyed every minute spent in the hotel. i will go back to singapore just for the sangri-la.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Giorgos P
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed in the Valley Wing for three nights en route to Indonesia. The service here is exceptional and consistent. Even the smallest room is huge, well furnished and very comfortable. Lots of nice touches, fresh orchids, fruit and best of all, very quiet. Bathroom was again, huge and beautifully appointed. Breakfast was included in the tariff and was very good as were the complimentary drinks of an evening. Expensive but worth it and everything that a Shangri-La should be. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flaherty99
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel is quite pretty-and the grandeur is quite something as you enter the lobby. I stayed in the tower wing which had a lovely room(a bit dated) but it was clean and comfortable. Lots of great amenities and coffee/tea and a turn down service. I went for a conference, and the facilities were also great. a Chi spa is opening later this year for those that really want to treat themselves.

Food at the "Line" restaurant is great if you are starving - its a MASSIVE buffet which has amazing options, and you will want more...the laksa at lunch was great as was the dim sum selection.

Location: it is a little far from the MRT, so I took taxis which were easy to find at the hotel. All in all a good experience!

Room Tip: tower wing room 719 has a view of the city - not bad! quiet to sleep
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DC-IMF-FAOtraveler
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

When traveling for business, the Shangri-La, Singapore is a great choice. The customer service is hard to beat, and while the sleeping rooms are a little outdated, it's a great hotel for the price you pay. The MRT on Orchard Road is about 10-15 minutes from the hotel, which makes the city easily accessible for hotel guests. Overall, the property was a great choice, and I would recommend it. The breakfast buffet is a MUST DO. There are so many choices for everyone, regardless of your preference.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mcj2003
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had not intended to write this review after my check-out but I was so traumatised by the stay, which explains why it took me so long to finally write this review.

Check-in for hotels is typically between 2pm to 3pm. I arrived at the hotel for check-in at 7+pm which ought to have my rooms ready. It wasn't. I was left there standing for a good 15 to 20 minutes while the staff try to get a room for me. Then I was pointed to a general direction that is supposedly the way to the lift. No one guided me and I had to find my own way to the lift to reach my room after a whole tiring day is not very happening for me.

When I finally reach the room, I had a housekeeping staff running in behind me to place the welcome amenities, my reservation is not a last minute booking, isn't my arrival on their system? How come the welcome amenities isn't already in the room?

I had wanted to use the washroom and to my horror, the toilet bowl has been used by someone to clear their bowels and not flushed!!! Did anyone clean this room?!?

I tried to call the front desk to ask for someone to come and see for themselves, and the telephone operator kept hanging up on me. In the end, I went down to the front desk to ask to speak to either the Duty Manager or Front Office Manager. The Manager is missing in action, and I was kept standing like a fool in the lobby waiiting for the staff to located their missing manager.

Was seriously contemplating leaving for another hotel, when the manager finally arrived. She offered to move me to another room. Fine, I guess I can go have a drink/dinner while they arrange for my move.

When I went back to front desk much later I find myself having to explain my previous ordeal all over again as apparently the staff now manning the counter has no idea what happened to me earlier. I had to stand there another 10 to 15mins for them to sort things out.

The next morning, when I was leaving my room to check out. I heard this woman shouting from the other end of the corridor, is this really a 5 Star hotel when they allow their staff to shout at the top of their voice on guest floors? I shudder.. anyway, I went on to the lift landing. While waiting for the lift, the shouting housekeeping staff was still shouting and I finally realized that she was yelling at me in mandarin wanting to know if I'm going to check out now. My goodness! What kind of hotel is this?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Candy A
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have stayed here several times on business, and found the hotel to be excellent on all fronts. The quality of the rooms and furnishings is very high, service is incredible and the food is very good. The breakfast buffet is the high point, with an incredible array of foods to choose from. The are always smiles on the faces of the service staff, and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel all the time....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business