“Antiquated lobby, but nice enough room...”
Review of Furama City Centre

Furama City Centre
Ranked #292 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Antiquated lobby, but nice enough room...”
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I had great difficulty getting my room which I had booked online, because of my not having my passport with me, but it being on the other side of the city made for an extremely inconvenient check-in to say the least. Despite my knowing my passport number and issue date they would not allow me to check in without it. Sure enough, on my return arrival with passport in hand, they didn't even bother to photocopy it, but simply used my passport number and entered that into their computer!

The front desk staff were professional and efficient in their performance. The lobby made me feel as though I was checking into a hotel from the 1970's rather than 2011! The rooms on the other hand were modern with all the amenities one needs. Big flat screen television, but offering very few channels. One complaint, there is no wifi in the room, instead there is a LAN cable for their Internet access. But the complaint isn't their LAN cable, but the price was an exhorbitant $25/24 hour period.

The location of the hotel is good not great. It is however in Chinatown and with Chinese's New Year quickly approaching, one could see all the festive decorations in full bloom! There are several restaurants and outdoor markets nearby as well as a modern shopping mall.

Check-out was efficient and painless.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I stayed at this property twice within a 2 week time frame, as I had to travel to Singapore for business.
The hotel is in China town, and is very conveniently located accross the road from a metro station. Singapore's metro system is very easy to use, and so efficient!
The hotel itself is fairly non descript- pleasant enough, but nothing you would be bowled over by.
The first time, I stayed in a superior room. For a 4 star hotel in Singapore, it is quite well priced, and I quite liked the location. The included breakfast was wonderful, with lots of variety.
The room was clean, modern, and everything I needed.

The next time (2 weeks later), I upgraded the room to an Executive room. Aside from being on a higher floor with a better view, the actual room was identical.
We had access to the executive lounge, which had a cocktail hour, plus canapes. However what they meant by "cocktails", is that they have 4 bottles of spirits in a corner, which you can pour yourself, into cans of softdrink, which you also pour yourself. Not really my definition of a cocktail!
The snacks they served were good though, and they would just keep bringing them out, so you could almost get away with just that for dinner.
We did also have the option of eating in the executive lounge, which we did do the first day- but it basically was just food brought in from the buffet, which took longer, and was therefore colder by the time you received it, so we just ate at the buffett after that.
Overall, I was happy with the hotel, but I don't feel that the upgrade was worth the expense, and I wouldn't do it again if I returned.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank kiara_renee
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Great place to stay. Clean, modern and cosy. Well located in City center of Singapore. Closed to everything. Good service. Will defitely recommend it. You'll need to pay for the internet.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank so_mei
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Recently returned from our second stay at the Furama City Centre having previously stayed here in March 2008. On arrival we were upgraded to a renovated room on the fourth floor. The room had a very spacious bathroom with a huge tub and a very large walk in shower. We had a comfortable king size bed and enough storage space. The room was an odd shape, not rectangular, and the way that it was configured you almost walked into the bathroom when you opened the door from the hall. We did not use the swimming pool which is located on the sixth floor but when we had a look it was extremely windy up there.

The thing that we like most about this hotel is the location. We love China Town and Clark Quay and they are both a short walk away. The China Town station is just across the road and the SIA bus stop is very close so it is really easy to get around. There was no free WiFi only paid internet however there was a much cheaper internet café five minutes walk away. This is a comfortable property and we would be happy to stay here again in the future however, more and more we are looking at staying in hotels that provide free internet and this is becoming a deal breaker for us.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joybell27
sydney, australia
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I stayed here for just one night in a superior room in November, 2010. I booked the stay through Asiatravel where they had a reasonable rate which was also offered directly by the hotel. Generally, it was a very disappointing stay. I had previously stayed here a number of nights over the years but the room on this occasion was different, supposedly renovated but it actually seemed to be less pleasing than the rooms on previous visits, which were a number of years ago. The check-in was alright and the attendant seemed to be friendly but there seemed to be a bit of backchat or enquiries going between the reception staff after the check-in.

The porter arrived with the luggage quite quickly after I had arrived in the room and I just wasn’t happy with his attitude from the outset. Firstly, he asked me where I was from, which was fine. Then, upon hearing the answer, he lightened and made a remark about how he thought I looked as if I was from the People’s Republic of China and he made it seem as if there was a problem with that. Then, I gave him a tip and then he made a remark that it was only $2, so then I gave him another $2 so he was happy and left.

The lobby itself wasn’t large or grand but it was alright. Unfortunately, throughout my stays here, I always remember the lobby as being quite crowded and there usually isn’t a place to sit down so that’s something that I think the hotel needs to consider. During this stay, the hotel seemed crowded.

Unfortunately, i wasn’t allocated a good room and that was quite disappointing, considering the room rate of $S170 nett not incl. breakfast. The room had no view at all and seemed to be quite small. Looking at the plan of the room on the fire escape diagram on the door, it looked to be about the smallest room of those they had available on that level and I wasn’t sure what I had done to deserve such a room allocation. The room itself, apart from its size, also did not impress. It didn’t seem to be well-designed and I’ll get to the details of that later. The carpet was dark, it was worn and didn’t look to be very clean. It seemed as if there was an attempt to make the room appear stylish but, in fact, the room was quite poorly designed.

First of all, I had quite major problems in the bathroom. The bath took a very long time to fill if the water was allowed to go through the bath tap normally. It was only after the cap/plug was pulled (which was on top of the bath tap and normally just diverts the water flow from the tap to the shower and vice versa except the tap here didn’t have a shower) that the water ‘flowed’ with sufficient strength to fill the bath in a reasonable amount of time. Actually, the water did not flow but spluttered out and made a mess of the bath and also started to fill the floor. It was necessary to just stand there pulling this cap while trying to contain the mess on the bathroom floor. I filmed this aspect of the bath and the video is on my Youtube page (http://www.youtube.com/AllHotelrooms). Realistically, the bath would have taken almost half an hour to fill if left to fill through the tap. Also, it seemed as if the bath could not be secured properly through the stop and was leaking a little water and that would have prolonged the process of filling the bath. While the bath tap was running, it was not really possible to adjust the temperature of the water. Instead, pulling the plug/cap enabled the adjustment to be made but if the water was allowed to flow through the tap normally, then the temperature would not be correct.

The tiles in the bathroom also appeared to be medium-slippery, while they were still probably safe, they did not prevent a small slip in either direction before halting the slide. It was difficult to find a resting position in the bath itself, it wasn’t comfortable by any means. My bath was also not free-standing, unlike in some of the photos which appear on Tripadvisor, where the room category may be different. Generally, my room didn’t look as pleasing as the photos on Tripadvisor for this property and I suspect that’s because I was not allocated a good room.

The difficulties in the bathroom didn’t end there. While it was nice that there was a rainshower available, the problem was that the water droplets were too large and hence the shower wasn’t really comfortable.

The sink itself was located close to the door and I wasn’t too sure about this design either, as I use quite a noisy shaver which might actually cause noise pollution if placed near the door.

Other aspects of the room also disappointed. There was a musty smell upon entering the room and I wasn’t sure if that was caused by the aircon. The aircon itself was quite loud at night but it was powerful and the room didn’t appear to be stuffy. The bed itself had a yellow stain and upon seeing this, I wondered whether this room was actually allocated only for a specific purpose. The room was noisy, soundproofing really wasn’t very good. The sounds of other bathroom drains were obvious, loud and strong throughout the night. There just seemed to be water gushing through by the sound of it. The iron was not of a high quality and didn’t seem to work well, it couldn’t achieve the task of flattening shirts. The TV was the only positive aspect of the room, as it was large and of a good quality backed up by a wide channel selection.

I was so disappointed by the room compared to what it appeared like on previous visits that I went to the reception desk to ask about their wood-panelled rooms and whether it was possible to stay in one of those instead. The reception member just didn’t seem able or willing to give a straight answer and waffled on about how some of the rooms were Superior-category and didn’t have any views, which was not an issue I mentioned in the first place, as I was only talking about the previous-style wood-panelled rooms. Then, she talked about how the rooms with views were on higher floors and they were deluxe rooms. However, the hotel website as of date of writing and of booking did show superior rooms with a view and also with the wood-panelled design and her long-winded answer which didn’t address any points directly was clearly made to ensure that I stayed put. She also seemed to be quite practised in her response and its delivery. I do, however, get the feeling that the rate I paid should have qualified at least for a room with some view, even if of the lobby.

Generally, the standard of construction just wasn’t there and as mentioned, the functionality was also not of a level associated with the usual brand names. I’m not sure who the hotel engaged to design the rooms but their level of knowledge and expertise clearly doesn’t compare to any of the established brands.

The location of the hotel in Chinatown was quite a strong point and the hotel is close to an MRT station but that’s often the case with hotels in Singapore.

The best that could be said of the check-out experience was that the staff member did her job. Prior to the checkout, the housekeeping staff member rang my doorbell at about 11am a few times. When I went outside and asked why the two staff members rung the doorbell, since the check-out time was noon, the housekeeping staff member couldn’t provide an answer because she didn’t speak much English and she just said: OK, OK. The other staff member was engaged on her handphone and couldn’t be bothered to break that engagement to provide an answer.

Overall, this was quite a disappointing stay and it was very unfortunate because I remember that I had much better stays here prior to this one. Previously, I would have given the hotel four stars but on the evidence of this visit, it only deserves two.

NOTE: You can find videos of the hotel room on my youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/AllHotelrooms

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank perryw
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed November 21, 2010

its good hotel, little costly, staff is very good. swimming pool is small but ok. if u get the room above 7th floor, then u will enjoy this hotel. i stayed for my business visit, we enjoyed. nearby there is a restaurant very nice which serves u food free. u dont need to ask how much should i pay? just pay u want..even if u eat 60 dollar and u want to pay 5 dollar. they dont mind, very nice cultured and indian families are serving there for honourary. very nice ambience there. this hotel is good. morning breakfast is awesome.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank upamanyu
Manchester
Reviewed November 3, 2010

I recently stayed at Furama City for 3 nights during my short stay in Singapore. It was recomended by a relative. After arriving on an early morning flight they allowed be to use shower facilities and pool to freshen up. Normal check is supposed to be 2pm but they allowed be to have my room from 10am, great to catch up on sleep, even better because I got a free upgrade to an Executive Room.
Room was very clean, though twin beds a bit odd. Bathroom very spacious.
The hotel is in a great location for exploring China Town and close to MRT.
My only dissapointment was the breakfast which in my opinion was not of great quality or variety.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo