“Needs a revamp!!!!”
Review of Furama City Centre

Furama City Centre
Ranked #298 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Just got back from a very disapointing 3 night stay at the Furama on our way home from Australia.
When we checked in we were taken to a refurbished room on the 4th floor, the 'bell-boy' was full of praise explaining how the rooms on this floor were only just completed, and that this floor used to be the restaurant but they needed more rooms.
when we opened the door we were initially pleased: very modern room, decorated in black/white, modern bathroom with 'wet-room', huge double bed, flat screen TV.........wow.
Our enthusiasm was however short lived!!!! We opened our cases only to realise that there was no wardrobe?? just a rail above the area used for tea/coffee.....................very strange! I walked over to the window to open the curtains to discover that the window looked out to the lobby, hence NO outside view or natural sunlight making the room seem very claustrophobic and dark. In the mean time my hubby had parked himself on the bed only to discover that it was damp, he also commented that the flooring was also damp. I lay on the bed for less than 2 mins and my top was wet.
I contacted reception to say we were not happy that the room was (a) inside with no window and (b) damp. We were moved immediatly to a room on the 8th floor. No damp, outside view of sorts (a rooftop and a load of pipes), and so shabby it was almost like we had been transpoted to a differnt hotel.
When we left , our flight was not till late, I enquired about keeping the room on untill 18.00hrs and was told that this would cost 140++ Singapore dollars, approx £75.00, very expensive in my opinion. We opted (as suggested) to change using the facilities on the 5th floor: gym, pool,shower etc etc.
Although there was a shower, towels, iron etc provided, the room was very small and shared by those using the pool and gym, so once you left the shower cubicle(no male/female only area) you had to change in the area accessed by all!!! i.e in full view of the guests using the other facilities. My husband and I took turns to watch the luggage and protect the privacy of each other when guests entered
There is only ONE good thing I can say about this hotel and that is that the location is excellent.
My husband and I are not fussy people and we sometimes read reviews thinking how trivial some of the remarks people make are, this is the first time I have felt the need to write a review to warn others and prevent disapointment, when you have paid good money to stay somewhere, hotels own photos are VERY misleading!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ozztours
Write a ReviewReviews (2,696)

Reviewed October 25, 2008

We stayed for 2 nights on a stop-over in early September - rates at that time were cheaper than usual as Singapore was a bit empty before the grand prix. We booked on the Furama website and they twice claimed by email that my credit card was refused - I rang my bank after each attempt and they had seen no transactions from Furama either accepted or refused. Only after ringing the hotel directly and asking them to try again while I was on the phone did they accept payment. I suspect they were using the website rates as a bait-and-switch tactic and did not want to rent me the room at the cheaper rate.

Other than the small trouble getting the hotel to take payment, service was reasonable for a mid-range hotel - there were no problems, but no instances of outstanding service either. The swimming pool is hidden away along a long corridor and down some steps - which is just as well really as it is tiny - one look at it and I didn't bother. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Chinatown and the MRT - although taxis are cheap anyway so MRT convenience is not so important. The room had no free bottled water which I thought a bit lacking. We did not try the hotel restaurant so I can't comment on food quality.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2008

After checking out of the other 4-star business hotel, where I had a less than pleasant experience for the past two nights while attending a business training workshop, I moved down the road to Furama City Centre as it was cheaper. The hotel didn't look like a hotel from the outside, which took me aback for a minute when I got out of the cab. However, the first thing that greeted me was the helpful concierge. At the reception, everyone was very friendly and made me feel welcome, despite the busy atmosphere. I got a room on the 8th floor, but it had recently been repainted and the fumes were bothering me, so I asked to be moved. The staff who responded to my request were very friendly and professional, and sorted me out immediately without making me feel like I was being a hassle. I was given a room on the 10th floor right next to the elevators. The elevators didn't bother me, you couldn't really hear them unless you were in the bathroom, and I'm sure there were people using the elevators often as the hotel was fully booked.

I'd booked a superior room with a double bed. The room was certainly smaller than the room at the previous hotel, but it was about half the price, and the internet was faster I think, either that or there was no one on it! The bathroom was surprisingly nicer too. One of the best things about the hotel, though, is its AMAZING location. Amazing amazing amazing! I didn't know how close I was to Clarke Quay until I decided to be 'adventurous' and walk back to the hotel after a night out. It was about 5 minutes. If I'd known that I wouldn't have taken the MRT the night before! 3 minute walk to Clarke Quay MRT, 3-4 minute walk to Chinatown MRT. Extremely convenient. Sorry, I can't stop raving about how close it is to Clarke Quay.

So overall, pleasantly average rooms good enough to shower and sleep in. Very good staff, which really makes a lot of difference when you're in the hospitality industry. I'd asked to extend my checkout time, but they were running a full house and the lady politely declined my request but kindly apologised to me, so that was fine. The front desk staff were all very friendly, the concierge were friendly too, housekeeping was very nice as well. Great location, need I say that again. Definitely stay here if you're not looking for 5-star luxury, because the location and staff more than make up for the lack of luxury.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 12, 2008

We stayed in this hotel five years ago but were disappointed on our return. The hotel is very shabby. Room was disappointing, smelt damp needed to be redecorated, it was apparent that the room had suffered a leak, the ceiling was badly patched up, Pool area bit run down with jaccuzi jets all not working, sun bed cushion were very dirty. Room service was very poor, took two days to get a mug and on two occassion an order for bottled water took two hours to arrive. reception staff and porters were very helpful and friendly. The third bed in the room was not adequate for a third person unless they are a child, something we were not told on booking. Breakfast menu great and good value, in the evenings the offerings were basic and not very appitising.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2008

Booked a Executive Club weekend package thru' its website.
Check in was prompt and seamless.
GROs/ frontdesk personnel were courteous and approachable.
Room was spacious and comes with a panoramic view of Singapore’s CBD/ Marina Bay.
F&Bs at the Hotel’s Executive Lounge were adequate; nice dinning ambience; tranquillity.
It's all about location, location, location.
I would recommend this Hotel for Tourists on a 'mid-range budget' for a business-class hotel. Majority of the attractions/ pre-war historical sites/ Chinatown/ Orchard Road Shopping Belt/ Marina Bay/ Museums are within short walking distance or a underground train/ public bus ride.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed for two nights on a stopover in Singapore. Despite booking a standard room, we were upgraded to an executive suite which was spacious, recently refurbished and very well appointed. We had access to the executive lounge which provided a full buffet breakfast (including a chef who cooked eggs to order) and extensive drinks and canapes in the evening. Despite some comments to the contrary, the room provided two free bottle of water a day. Although there were renovations underway in the hotel this did not impact on us in the least.

Great location and very friendly and attentive staff made this an excellent stay

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blenheim72
Reviewed October 6, 2008

In Singapore for F1 Grand Prix and stayed at the Furama CC for 6 nights. Couldnt be better placed as just a walk through the Peoples Park Complex to Chinatown MRT station (4 mins) and about 7 mins to Clarke Quay MRT. Lots of places to eat in Chinatown and Clarke Quay and easy to get to other areas of interest. Only about 10 mins maximum to Outram Park MRT interchange which takes you to several different lines and on to Changi Airport. On arrival at the hotel, our baggage was taken by the concierge. We went up the escalators to reception which took about 5 mins for check in. No sooner had we arrived in our lovely twin bedded room with views of the esplanade and singapore flyer in the distance, than our baggage arrive. The concierge asked if we liked the room and told us about the mini bar, complementary tea and coffee and complementary shower gel, shampoo and skin moisturiser all of which were refilled every day when necessary. Two minutes after he had gone, reception rang to check that our room was ok and we were happy with it.
As we were so busy, we didnt eat at the hotel (not necessary as such choice outside) but we had a drink on our last evening there. Drinks were not cheap but this was about 8 pm and it was happy hour so we were told it 2 for 1. When we had finished our first round of drinks (which came with peanuts), the waitress came over with another round and more peanuts. As you can see service was excellent. I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough and we found the cost really good considering it was the Grand Prix weekend.

• Stayed: September 2008