“great staycation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“great staycation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

My family of 3 adults and 3 kids stayed at the 2 bedroom La Residenza which is a service apartment-like hotel room.

Check in was smooth and fuss free and the luggage we dropped off arrived within minutes of us arriving in the room. Due to the white colour theme of La Residenza, the room feels quite homely. It comes with a compact kitchen, washer dryer and dining table that seats 6 comfortably. There are 2 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms. The room we had also opens out to a spacious balcony that can host a party for 20 pax comfortably.

We enjoyed the comfortable beds. Upon request, the staff installed a DVD player so that we can screen some cartoons for the kids. Pool is small, doesn't have much of a view and the water is quite murky.

We ordered room service for friends visiting and the food arrived 20 min later then the 45min lead time quoted and delay seemed to be due to tasking only 1 porter to bring up the food and he has to make 4 runs in total.

Breakfast was disappointing, dimsum items were below what I can get at a coffee shop, congee is tasteless, roti prata is mostly burnt, miso soup is weak and the only consolation is the omelette station that requires a 10-15 min wait.

The location is excellent though, I took a stroll in the evening to the robertson quay area that has restaurants and cafes (for better & cheaper food than the hotel options), It is also home to Singapore Tyler Print Institute and if you venture a bit further, you can wonder around the historical shop houses at River Valley, visit the peaceful Fort Canning Park or just stroll down the river banks towards the Zion road food center for the legendary fried kuay tiao and prawn noodle soup.

Check out was also a breeze.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Benedict_Ng, General Manager at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Cheeps21,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel service and facilities.
I am glad that you and your family were generally satisfied with a comfortable stay at our La Residenza suite.
With regard to your experience with our room service and breakfast, please accept our sincere apologies that they were less than satisfactory for you. Your valuable feedback will help us to improve and to serve you better in future.

I am looking forward to welcoming you and your family again to enjoy the true hospitality of Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Got a cheap online deal, hotel far exceeded expectations. Lovely room with views of river on 25tth floor, lots of little extras, free wifi.Serviced daily. Very friendly and helpful staff, looked after bags on last day. We didn't have breakfast; plenty of food options along river. River taxi $3 to city centre from directly out front. Singapore sling at piano bar $15 cheaper than at Raffles! Would definitely stay again

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fleur P
Marcom_Manager_GCW, Manager at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Fleur P,
Thank you for the review of our hotel. Your satisfaction is our priority and we are happy to know that your enjoyed your stay here with us.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Waterfront hotel for 6 nights when on a business trip to Singapore. I arrived early morning on a Sunday, 7am, and managed to get access to my room by 10am. Not bad at all given they were fully booked the previous evening.
The room was good with reasonable desk facilities, important for us business visitors!
The hotel,was of very good quality and service was friendly.
The breakfast buffet was very good, fairly typical offerings for South East Asia. The same facility offers a buffet dinner, this, on the occasion I tried it, was very disappointing. Plenty options around the area though.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear HoustonTravel4,
Thank you for the review of our hotel. It delights us to know that our service and buffet breakfast quality were to your liking.
We have taken note of your feedback on the buffet dinner.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

The hotel isn't the most high class hotel despite being a 5 star hotel. It isn't edgy or modern like how some 5 star hotels have done refurbishments or renovations. Despite all that and the shortcomings of the facilities, the service provided by Mr Peter Chua and his team at the Front Office Department made up for everything. Special credit goes to Ms Si Hui who had personally assisted me in every aspect during my stay at the hotel. People like this in the industry is hard to find anymore whereby they pay attention to detail and not treat you like just any other guest, Sir/Madam. To me personalisation matters when I stay at any hotel.

Also, the food in the hotel was great. One of the best rack of lambs I've had and breakfast on the 29th Floor was excellent. The service staffs on the 29th floor are great as well and I've only complements for them.

However, the wait staffs at the their F&B outlet needs further training. I was dining at Pontini's one evening (one of their supposedly better restaurants) and the desserts here were amazing. I have no complains regarding the food but they weren't my favourite dishes. That is just a personal preference. One complain I did have is that while entertaining my guest during dinner, it was very difficult to get the attention of the wait staff n one even said yes he will get back to me but he did not and just went on serving other tables. I guess I don't blame him because it was a busy evening but I would expect more from the hotel which wants to maintain a 5-star reputation.

Location of the hotel is brilliant as it was near the town but not smack in the middle of the orchard road jam. I had a conference at International Business Park and it took me only 15 mins daily per journey even during the peak hours so I was happy with that.

I love choosing one hotel and returning to it in any city I go to as you do get better service that way and Grand Copthorne Waterfront is definitely one of my options when I do return to Singapore. Hopefully, the wait staff will improve the next time I return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Rooms
Dear JasonLau33,
Thank you for the taking the time and effort to write such a detailed review of our hotel. It was a pleasure to ensure that your stay here was every bit as enjoyable as possible. We take feedback very seriously and will forward your comments to Mr. Chua, Ms. Si Hui, Club Lounge staff and the wait staff at Pontini.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed here in the month of May 2013. Good rooms, good location and good value for money. The morning buffet breakfast is very good. They offer a wide spread and the food is delicious. Wifi access is available for a price. It a good place for a short stay in Singapore. Doesn't completely drain your wallet!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Arvind0288,
Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed our accommodation, location and buffet breakfast. Your comments on the WiFi has been noted.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed here for two nights in June 2014. Very friendly staff on reception. Good room on 11th floor with views of Singapore River and right down to the port. Comfortable furnishings and good bathroom. Lovely walks by the river with plenty of places to eat at nearby. Breakfast at the hotel was very good, wide choice ranging from Asian to European and all of good quality. Wifi wasn't free but you could get a code free from waiters which lasted for 3 hours. Think a hotel of this standard should be offering free wifi to guests in their rooms as part of the package. You can get a bus just round the corner (no 51 I think) for $S2 down to Chinapoint, Bugis St etc where there is plenty of shopping and eating places. Taxi to airport cost just under $S20 and we were always able to get a taxi at the door if we needed one.

Room Tip: Get a river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear HJO2013,
Thank you for the comprehensive review of our hotel. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay here with us. Your feedback on the WiFi has been noted.
UK countryside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights on business but if I'd had the choice, it would be somewhere else. Pool area is very poor and the whole hotel just looks a bit tired compared to others. Breakfast was extremely good and my room had a great view along the river, and I suppose nowhere was too far to talk if one is so inclined. Concierge service wasn't the best when it came to booking taxis, inasmuch as they didn't on either of the mornings we requested it. All a bit, well, average really

Room Tip: As for a riverview room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear countrygirl123,
Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was dissatisfactory.
We would like to invite you to write in to us at enquiry.gcw@millenniumhotels.com so that we can work together to restore your faith in us.