“A Business Hotel”

Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #62 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have no regrets staying at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront, the staff are friendly and the rooms spacious and clean. Am disappointed that this hotel is not linked to any MRT and shopping complex with a supermarket. Its not too convenient when it rains, the nearest supermarket is about 15 mins walk away. The hotel should consider including breakfast in their packages as we pay quite a amount for the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WFun1203
GrandCopthorneSing, Hotel Management at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear WFun1203,

We are pleased to hear that our amiable staff left a good impression during your stay with us.

With regards to your concern of our locale, you would be pleased to know that we offer complimentary shuttle bus service to Chinatown and Orchard Road for the convenience of our guests. Also, the Tiong Bahru and Outram Park MRT stations are well-served by short bus rides from our hotel bus stop.

Additionally, we urge that you check our hotel website regularly for room promotions which include breakfast. With that, we look forward to welcoming you back again.

There are newer reviews for Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Worst hotel I have stayed in for a local staycation. Checked in on 9th Aug for a staycation to see fireworks (As advertised on their website) and had a sorely dissapointing stay from start to finish. Firstly, check in was horrendous. Was told at 1.30pm that my room will be ready 2pm earliest. Fine, as that was the official check in time anyway. When I went up to the reception to enquire about my room status at 2.15pm, I was told they will 'call me' once its ready. For now, all the rooms were dirty, Hey come on, I was traveling with a toddler and he was getting crankier by the minute and there were no seating area at the lobby available too. At 2.40pm, I was told my room was STILL not ready? No service recovery at all from the hotel staff. Bad bad recovery service. A nice touch will be to at least offer drinks to guests who were waiting, like they do at other hotels, I guess that's what separates a 4 star from a 5 star hotel. When we finally managed to check in at 3pm, the room was sort of cleaned half heartedly. The hotel is clearly understaffed. Toilets were dirty and the toilet roll was half used. I was really too exhausted to make a din about it.

Now, the fireworks view. There was sort of a view from my deluxe Bayview room. From a faraway angle) to see the fireworks but honestly it wasn't very impressive. maybe because my room was so low down at the 9th floor. This is probably the last time I will visit the hotel.

Lots of china tourists on my floor so they were screaming and talking at the top of their voices and slamming doors way past midnight.

Breakfast was boring and doesn't have much off selection, Juices were watered down Nd everything feels very cheapen. I visited Cafe Brio many years back and am surprised at how much standards have dropped since then.

On a another note, the front office manager Pooja was very accommodating and was very polite and kind throughout the chaotic reception area and answered all the guests enquiries with a smile. It is really an asset for the hotel to have an employee like her.

2  Thank Ashley_Belle

Dear Ashley_Belle,

We regret that your recent stay experience with us was not ideal and we sincerely apologise for areas which we have fallen short.

Rest assured we will make the necessary improvements and we hope to restore your faith in us. Please write in to us so we may follow up with you personally.

We have also taken note of your kind compliments toward Pooja and we will certainly share this with her which will be most rewarding.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were a party of 7 on three rooms for an overnight transit stay. All of us are repeat visitors in Singapore so are used to staying a variety of hotels so it's easy for all of us to compare this within a Singapore context.

The property is in a very good location on the river and very near places of interest the the Great Wall Mall which is 2 blocks away accross the river. Souk one of Singapore most popular bars is literally within or beside the property. In fact on a saturday night the hotel is like a zoo with lots of spillover from the club. It's a very large property and they have a lot of people staying in it. This obviously brings problems in that service can be slow such as checking in. At 4pm they were not able to let us in our rooms yet! Nevertheless, the common areas are all well appointed and since it's a popular location on a busy street, taxis will surely be easy to find. Quite a walk to the nearest MTR station though.

The room was basic standard size for a 3 star room. Well appointed though the table was very small. Very good views of the downtown skyline on their big windows for the even numbered rooms. Security is good as elevator access is controlled.

Breakfast was a very busy affair. The coffee shop is a big sprawling space where they serve buffets for bfast , lunch and dinner. For Breakfast, which many guests partake in, they actually have a line to get in the place in the morning so this can be a big hassle for business types watching their schedule.

This hotel is probably best for family's and people on holiday. It's too bad considering its proximity to the business area that it is not a bit more quiet. Nevertheless it's very good value for it's price and there are no real red marks for service. I would recommend this for visitors who want good value and are on vacation.

Room Tip: Good views on the even numbered rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear PeterAngliongto,

Thank you for your kind recommendation and the insightful review. We are happy to hear that you considered the Grand Copthorne Waterfront to be value for money.

However, we seek your kind understanding that due to high occupancy rates we were unable to accord you a room sooner.

Nonetheless, we trust your stay at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront was a fruitful one and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Booked a deluxe bay view for 1 night from 9th-10th August, to watch the NDP fireworks and to celebrate my anniversary.

This is going to be a long review..

RECEPTION
Called earlier to the front desk and they assured me that I could check in at 2pm ( which was the hotel's official check in time anyway). From the moment we arrived at 1.45pm the reception area was chaotic.There was no proper lines indicated where guests should line up, so people were cutting the queue left and right. When I finally got to the front, I was served by Regina. She informed me that I would have to wait for at least 1 hour or more for my room to be ready, as she said that the room was not clean yet!and ALL the rooms were not clean yet.This was not acceptable to me, firstly, the check in time was 2pm and its not the problem of the guests that there was not enough staff to clean to room etc or whatever reason that they want to give, the hotel should let guests check in on time and not waste our time, it was not like it was 15 mins, it was at least 1 hour or more. The hotel has been in operation for a long time and they should know that if they can't cope with the 2pm check in time during peak periods, move forward the check out time to 11am and then move back the check in to 3pm??So I insisted on her giving me a room, can't be all 200 or whatever number of rooms that they have are ALL not been cleaned right?I insisted on speaking to her supervisor, which she said were all busy, and kept repeating that " all the rooms are being cleaned" is it a SOP to keep repeating this sentence to all guests when they have no excuse?

FInally, her colleague told her to give me 1616. I asked her 2 times if it was a deluxe room (which I already paid for), she said yes. So I went up to the room tired and irritated already, and guess what? She gave me a Superior room! Regina and that other staff were really insulting my intelligence.Wouldnt I have discovered that the toilet in the superior room did not have a bathtub( if im not wrong only deluxe rooms and higher have bathtubs). She really must think I have very poor eyesight to not notice the lack of a bathtub.

So I went down and once again insisted on speaking to the duty manage or person in charge, Pooja. She listened to my ranting and told me that Regina was a trainee staff and she didn't know that it was not a deluxe room,Ermmmmm...I would think that the computer that they are checking on for room status would indicate what kind of room it is?( i know she was trying to give an excuse and trying to calm me down). If not Regina should have double checked? If not then Copthorne has not been training the staff well right?
After insisting on being upgraded as her staff very nearly cheated me of my rightful room, she upgraded me to the Executive club room and gave me a small cake. Of course I wanted to be upgraded higher, hey they gave me a wrong room! but alas all their suites were supposedly taken up already. Of course I waited for 1hr and 15mins for my club room too. .Which by the way i had to call her again to check if the room was ready after more than an hour. so I finally got to my room at 3.45pm.NICE start to my family's stay cation.

EXECUTIVE CLUB
Thank goodness I did not pay for the club access and it was free or I would be even more frustrated. of all the club rooms that I have stayed in around the world, this hotel had the worst club food and staff. Don't know which is worst, the lousy food or lousy staff.

This is the first and last time I will ever stay in this hotel. The horrible experience here has spoilt our holiday mood.

The one and ONLY good thing about this hotel was that we could see the fireworks from our room.

Room Tip: -Rooms and toilets are big in the deluxe rooms - Club lounge is nonsense don't even bother goin...
2  Thank GoofySingapore

Dear GoofySingapore,

We regret that your recent stay experience with us was not ideal and we apologise for areas which we have fallen short.

We seek your kind understanding that due to high occupancy rates we were unable to accord you a Deluxe room sooner as check-in is based on room availability. We regret that our recovery gesture of offering complimentary upgrade to an Executive Club room with Club benefits failed to enhance your stay experience.

Please write in to us to allow us the opportunity to follow up with you personally. We hope to restore your faith in us in the future.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We booked this hotel because there was a sale on booking.com, but we were not really impressed. The room itself is not very nice. It is sort of getting outdated and the furniture is tired- In definite need if renovation.
The pool is too small for the hotel's capacity and it is always full. They claim there is a pool bar but there really isn't. There were no towels at the pool which was also a major setback. The fitness centre actually looked quite good. The location of this hotel is probably one of the best parts. It is about a 2 minute walk to many great restaurants along the Robertson Quay area.

Overall, this hotel in probably not one of the best choices in Singapore, but the location is very convenient.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear TheVacationLover123,

We appreciate your feedback and will certainly look into areas of your concerns and review them accordingly. Nonetheless, we are glad that you enjoyed the hotel location and we trust your stay was a fruitful one. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

we stayed there Aug. 3, 2013 for one night staycation. the room was standard, like a business hotel, with one king bed. bed was comfortable. room not very big not small either. I forgot to ask for a river view room; so the view was just city street. we loved the location of the hotel. it is in the upper part of singapore river. not crowded, so we can really sit outside and enjoy the river view. you can also pay $3 for a single trip down the river to merlion by river taxi. There are two river taxi stations nearby. but you may need to wait some time for the boat to come. breakfast was OK, we hoped there were more Chinese food. there are also free shuttle bus service to orchard road, chinatown, etc. overall, i think it is good value as the price was relatively cheaper compared to other 5 star hotels in Singapore. d

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Millennium C, Hotel Management at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear dakeke,

We appreciate your good review and we are glad you found the hotel location and amenities to have met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and creating another memorable stay experience for you and your family.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed five nights in this hotel. The staff has been really helpful throughout my stay. The internet connection is very good. I especially like the design of the buttons for cleaning the room. Great facilities. The only thing inconvenient is the plugs in the room. Most plugs were either close to the floor or blocked by the desk. It is uneasy to recharge the electronic devices.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Janet C,

Thank you for your wonderful review, it is heartening to hear that our staff left a positive impression during your stay with us. We have also taken note of your comment regarding the plugs and will look into areas of improvement where possible. We look forward to welcoming you back and being of service to you again.