“Good hotel and perfectly located.”

Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #83 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Good hotel and perfectly located.”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We searched a lot online before booking this hotel for a vacation in Singapore, and were happy for the decision we made.
Pros: Location is the biggest +ve for the hotel. Very near to Clarks Quay, Orchard Road.
Good rooms, very neat and clean. Food is also good. Also its next to the Zouk club, one of the best clubs in Singapore.
Cons: None

Will recommend this hotel for its location and complete value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms at higher floors give a great view of the city.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Destin, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Where oh where do I start? My husband arrived at the hotel the evening before me. We had made a reservation for a King Riverview Room. Our rate was to include breakfast for 2 each day and cocktails, snacks on the 29th floor each evening. Upon arrival, my husband was told that there were no king rooms available (this is at 10 pm) but offered him a twin room. He said that was unacceptable and magically a king room appeared. I arrived the following morning around 6:30 am after the 18 hour 40 minute flight from New York to Singapore on Singapore Airlines. Needless to say, I was ready for a nice bed and a few days of uninterrupted rest in order to get over the jet lag. I knew I was in trouble when I sat down on the bed. Never in my life have I been on a bed that hard. It was not a firm mattress, just hard. The floor would have been softer, no kidding. The room itself was old, shabby, badly in need of an update and only moderately clean. It was small and the pillows were like bricks. I couldn't believe it. I wondered how anyone could ever sleep on a bed like that. The bathroom was also very small with hardly any room to put ones toiletries. The hair dryer in the bathroom must have been something like 600 watts and you had to press the on button the entire time while drying your hair. The shower was also very disturbing. It was in the bathtub which was raised high off the floor so you had to step very high up to get in the tub. The shower curtain was cheap, old and stained and was too long, so it was dragging in the tub while you showered. The water coming out of the shower was so scant and no water pressure, you had to run around in the shower to get wet. We were supposed to be there a week, but after 3 days of misery I just lost it and decided to either check out or see if they had a better room. We had to pack up and move to another room. The next room was better, the bed was a firm mattress, but soooo much better than the other one. There was no tub in the bath, only a shower and the water came out as it should do. The hairdryer didn't work at all so they brought me a new one (after standing around for 45 minutes with wet hair), but there was no place to plug it in the bathroom, so I had to plug it in by the desk in the bedroom. The lighting was terrible in that area, so I couldn't see and the hairdryer again was really cheap and didn't dry hair very well and you had to keep holding the on button down to keep it going. But, all in all, that was a small thing compared to what happened next. In the middle of the night I got up to use the bathroom and I kept hearing a dripping noise and the bathroom floor was all wet. Come to find out, the ceiling was leaking at the entrance to the bathroom so I put a towel down below to catch the drip. The towel was turning brown, so I don't know what kind of water was coming down, either it was clean or somebody else's sewage. DISGUSTING!!! When we got up the next morning, we had to pack up and move to a different room again!!!! The next room had a river view and was quite large, had a bath tub and a shower. This was the room they should have given us in the first place. I went down to look at the room before we packed up and discovered that the bed linens were dirty and had someone else's hair on them. I called down and asked to have the linens changed. The remote control for the tv would not work from the bed, you had to stand in front of the tv to make that work. Finally, got a decent hair dryer, but the shower leaked all over the floor because there was no seal on the door, poor design. The phone in the room would not allow us to make outgoing calls, so we had to get that fixed. With regard to the breakfast, there was a lot of different food, but it was mediocre at best, the scrambled eggs were runny and there was always a problem with the toaster. They did not do a good job of replenishing anything on the buffet. I'm glad we didn't have to pay additional for breakfast, if you had to, it would have been $30 each. I would not recommend to anyone that they stay in this hotel based on our experience. I don't think Trip Advisor would publish my review if I called it what it is. I had to give it one star because Trip Advisor doesn't allow you to give anything no stars. The only thing this hotel had going for it is the location right at Robertson Quay and easy walking distance to Clarke Quay etc. However, for business travelers, the location is not good because its not located near any MRT and taxis are sometimes hard to get in front of the hotel. The internet service was included in our room charge, but it was barely usable. I couldn't use any apps on my iPhone because the internet was either out, or really really slow. You could only run 3 concurrent devices on the provided wireless internet. The carpet on the main floor in front of the elevators was heavily soiled. The charge for a one week stay at this dump came through on my Amex card, $1,945.00 US dollars. I wish I had that money back!!! For anyone thinking about a stay at this hotel, my advice would be don't even think about it. Run for your life!!!!!

3 Thank reno-52
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront in Singapore for two nights and weren't particularly impressed. The hotel doesn't particularly stand out in any way and, in my opinion, should be a notch lower than five stars.

What we liked:
- The location. Robertson Quay was just a few minutes walk and Clarke Quay was about 20 minutes away. Since we preferred to walk, we were able to walk to the museums and even downtown
- The view. Our room had a view of the river, which was nice

What could be improved:
- Personalized service. The hotel's staff appear to lack that zing which makes hotels memorable. Checking boxes is fine but guests return when service is personalized. The only exception to the rule was one of the concierge staff (unfortunately, I don't have his name) who helped us find our way and then remembered us the next day
- Breakfast. Our last hotel was an un-starred little hotel in Hanoi with six tables in its dining area. Yet we never had to queue and always enjoyed our breakfast. At Grand Copthorne we had to queue to enter the restaurant and I waited 20 minutes to get my omelet. Breakfast itself was average and there simply weren't enough healthy options. The restaurant staff were indifferent and the coffee machines ran out at some point, coffee cups were chipped and even the salt shaker was blocked up

Grand Copthorne would do well to perk up its service. With its location it has plenty of potential but even the best location in the world cannot make up for average service.

1 Thank travelgoan
GrandCopthorneSing, Hotel Management at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear travelgoan,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. We have taken note of your feedback and will seek improvements where necessary. We trust your stay was fruitful nonetheless and we hope to welcome you back again.
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in Jan/Feb 2013. It is a good 4 star hotel in a reasonable location. A 10 minute taxi to the city and a 30 minute stroll along the riverside to Clarke Quay. We had a standard room which was an average size but well appointed. Although the bathroom required some modernisation, but was very clean. Staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the concierge and reception. Buffet breakfast with very good choice of European and Asian cuisine. freshly cooked omelette was a bonus as it was excellent. Late supper in hotel restaurant was good but expensive. many bars and restaurants nearby but quite pricey especially for alcoholic drinks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael C,

Thank you for your good review. It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed a wonderful stay experience with us and found the room, service standard and breakfast spread to have exceeded your expectations. We love to welcome you back for another memorable stay experience at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We ended our honeymoon trip by staying in this hotel before flying home. The hotel and it's facilities were excellent and very clean. The check-in was easy and the staff very helpful, even though our booing said the room would be available after 3pm and we arrived at 9 am. We waited about 40 minutes for our room to be made ready, which was absolutely fine considering we arrived early. However once we got to our room, which had an amazing view over the river and the city, we had to wait nearly an hour for our bags to arrive at our room. We telephoned reception several times and even the receptionist was surprised as she stated she had informed the staff over half an hour ago when speaking to her on our 3rd phone call. 2 calls and 25 minutes later our bags arrived!!

The hotel in based close the main night life restuarant area of Robinson Quay and beyond and is a pleasant evening walk.

Would I stay there again.....maybe...but I would carry my own bags to the room, however at the price we paid for our stay I shouldn't have to..........if this was a Travel Lodge I'd expect to carry my own bags, but then I'm not paying premium prices at a Travel Lodge.

Nice hotel let down by poor service.

Dear Karlloss,

We regret there was a lapse in service pertaining to your luggage delivery and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Rest assure this is not the usual standard of practice here and we will review the incident and arrange for training where necessary.

Nonetheless, we are glad you had an overall pleasant stay experience and we hope to welcome you back again.
Singapore
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Another good stay at Grand Copthorne Waterfront. A good hotel for business or leisure. It is in a nice quiet location, easy walking distance from Robertson Quay restaurants. Too far to walk to Clark Quay/Boat Quay/Marina Bay. A steady supply of taxis at the front of the hotel means never any delays taking you around.The staff are friendly and very efficient. The food is of a high standard and the rooms are spacious. The only problem we have encountered was once with a damaged bag, that was resolved.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Peter E,

Thank you for your good feedback, it is heartening to learn of your wonderful stay with us in particular that you liked our quaint, centralized location, service standard and food quality offered.
We do hope the problem you encountered was resolved to your satisfaction and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I requested two single beds for my grandparents who were used to sleeping separately. Receptionist wanted to give me a smoking low floor room with the 2 beds. My grandparents cannot tolerate smoke and thus the hotel was very accomodating and upgraded us to club room with the bed arrangement! Very thoughtful and they were very happy, they had a filling sumptuous breakfast as well so it was a good stay for them from malaysia. Good service!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Olipopps,

It is gratifying to know that your grandparents enjoyed a lovely stay with us and were happy with the upgrade arrangement. It is our endeavour to accommodate as best as we could to the needs of our guests. We hope to be their preferred hotel for future visits to Singapore and we look forward to being of service to them again.