“Horriying Service”

Ranked #83 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Horriying Service”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We used to patronize "The Piano Lounge/Bar" next to Brio. I noticed the service is getting from bad to worst.

On the 14th Feb 2013, I was there around 4pm and I am astonished that there were 2 waitress, 2 bartender and only 2 tables occupied but none of the floor service staff were paying attention that the table were not tidied up after the guests left!

I have to literally "hands-on" and get the waitress to tidy the table so tht I could have the table and thereafter, its tiring as whenever we need to order drinks, we have to go to the bar and rquest for order.

1.Shouldnt the waitress be "alert"? after all the place is not that big to manage with 2 people on the floor.
2. When we asked for drinks, she will just bring drinks without titbits.

In conclusion, not impressive with the service level for such small lobby lounge.

2 Thank Jaz T
GrandCopthorneSing, Hotel Management at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Jaz Y,

We regret that your experience at the Piano Bar was not ideal and we apologize for the lapse in service delivery.

Rest assure this is not the usual standard of service we endeavour. Revisions and service training will be accorded where necessary.

We hope to restore your good faith in us and we look forward to your next patronage and for you to experience the true hospitality discerning of the Grand Copthorne Waterfront.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
bonita springs,fl
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Hotel is very. Modern and clean. Riverside gives you wonderful views of the Harbour and river

Not much drawer space for clothing is the only drawback

Concierge is not that helpful. But front desk could not be nicer or more helpful

Room Tip: Ask for a riverside room and south side rooms are quieter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cranberryflash
Dear cranberryflash,

We are thankful for your good review. It is truly gratifying knowing that you found the Grand Copthorne Waterfront to be a “great hotel” that is very “modern and clean” with “wonderful views of the river”.

We have conveyed your compliments to our Front Office staff, very much to their delight. Also, we have taken note of your feedback and endeavour to make improvisations where appropriate.

We love to welcome you back and experiencing another pleasurable stay with us.
Singapore
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Copthorne for 5 nights during a conference. I arrived at the reception at 9am but was told that rooms were not ready so would have to keep my baggage in hold till lunch when the room would be available. Since I had a meeting to attend that would conclude till lunch, I was alright with the arrangement but requested for a river facing room preferably to be away from the din of the main road.

@ lunch I was given a room on the 7th or 8th level (cant recollect) that overlooked the tennis courts! Fortunately the reception staff was understanding and then helped me move to the higher floor river facing room.

The bedroom looked tired - doesnt seem to have been renovated in a long time. The room was clean with standard fittings and super slow paid internet.

The breakfast in the lobby cafe was good - wide variety but very crowded and at times noisy. I had buffet lunch too at the same cafe and while the food was good (not fantastic), the cafe seems to be always crowded and a bit noisy.

The hotel is well located in the inner city but has no MRT access and a long queue for the cabs - we once waited 25 minutes in queue. The concierge did inform us of a free shuttle bus which is a shared facility with other hotels and there was no assurance that there would be a seat on the shuttle bus. The Great World City Mall is 5-7 mins brisk walk - a lot of good food options there including supermarkets and fast food (subway, McD, Starbucks).

Given a choice, I wouldnt stay here again knowing that there are other well connected and newer hotels vying for the $$.

Room Tip: Choose a river facing room for quieter rooms - the "Zouk" disco can get noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SGTravel10
GrandCopthorneSing, Hotel Management at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear KunalAjinkya,

We hope your stay had been fruitful and trust that the arrangement of the river-view room was satisfactory. We wish you could have informed us about the Internet speed so that our technicians can rectify accordingly.

While it is good to hear that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast and lunch at Café Brio’s, we do however wish you could say the same for the ambience. We regret that due to high occupancy and dining reservations, the Café can get crowded at times, resulting in the heightened noise level.

May we suggest that you could perhaps have a seat at our alfresco dining area along the quaint riverside away from the hustle and bustle. We are certain it would enhance your whole dining experience.

We would also like to add that MRT access is easily available via short bus rides from the hotel bus stop. Our concierge can also assist with the booking of cabs should you think that the queue is too long.

Thank you for your review effort and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of our cruise from Southampton.

The hotel facilities are very good although we were disappointed that the Italian Restaurant was closed on Sunday evening.

The breakfast was delicious with a very wide variety of good food to choose - all healthy - and the waiters were brilliant at topping up our tea and coffee cups!

Great bedrooms with clean en-suite bathroom and plenty of soaps/shampoos.

All in all, a great hotel.

Dear DougieFowler,

We are thankful for your superbly positive review. It is extremely gratifying knowing that you found the Grand Copthorne Waterfront to be a “great hotel” and that the hospitality, hotel facilities and breakfast spread have all exceeded your expectations.

We wish you could have dined at Pontini and savour the authentic Italian cuisine helmed by the talented Chef Daniele. However, do note that Pontini is closed for lunch on Saturdays and the whole of Sundays. Do inform us prior to your next stay with us so that we can arrange a dining reservation for you.

We love to welcome you back to experience the fine hospitality of the Grand Copthorne Waterfront again.
NEWCASTLE
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Spent 2 days at this hotel at the end of a 30 day cruise on the Queen Mary 2. I had E Mailed the Hotel prior to my stay and asked if the room could be made ready for my early morning arrival from the ship and I was not disappointed. We arrived at 10.15am and were allowed to check in at once. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Only sampled the breakfast which at 20 dollars each was not really worth it. Drinks at the bar were about £7 a pint but this is Singapore and the hotel is rated 5 star so is to be expected. Hotel is very handy for the city centre and does have a very useful free shuttle bus that runs into the centre. Publc transport is very good with an excellent hop on hop off service at reasonable prices. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

2 Thank lespowell
Dear lespowell,

We are glad you enjoyed a fruitful stay with us, in particular the warm service and centralized locale were to your satisfaction. We hope to remain your choice hotel in the future and look forward to offering you many splendid stay experiences ahead.
Beijing
Reviewed February 10, 2013

With a 5:00am arrival time in Singapore I asked the hotel about an early check in. The reply was that the best option for me was to 'block out' the room. After some review it was clear that 'blocking the room' meant paying for an additional day at walk in rates. So I took my chances that the reception would take pity on me and get me in as soon as possible.

Since my flight from Beijing was 5 hours late, (see my blog titled "Why are Chinese Airlines like Submarines") I actually arrived at the hotel near noon and not 7am as planned. I was given a RNR, (room not ready) drink coupon while they tried to find a room I could get into. My assumption that it was a complimentary drink was proved wrong later at check out when they charged me S$17.65 for the drink. Nice!

40 minutes later I was in the room. Tired is all I can say about the whole feel of the hotel and the room. You know, the corners of the bathroom and shower have that build up of dirt and mildew that no amount of cleaning removes. Carpets show the traffic patters and the multitude of nicks and scrapes that accumulate over the years show themselves. The room was small and of an old design that really showed its age. In fact two of the elevators had broken electrical panels that would swing open on occasion exposing the spaghetti of wires and electrical components inside. Not confidence building.

The next day I had a business appointment at Sentosa so I had breakfast in the hotel. A more dismal buffet could not be imagined. Everything on offer seemed to have been sitting in its steamer tray for 3 days. The scrambled eggs were the consistency of loose porridge with a watery puddle in the bottom of the pan, the potatoes like chunks of cardboard and generally the food matched the hotel; tired and over used. Don't add breakfast to your room rate. There are a lot of options not a 5 minute walk away.

Needing to get to Sentosa by 11am I asked the concierge how best to get there and was told by taxi would be most efficient. The concierge offerd to arrange the taxi and after I agreed and was walking off I heard a muttered, "there will be an S$8.00 booking fee for the taxi." Sentosa from the hotel is a S$7-8.00 fare and here is this guy wanting to charge me 8 dollars just to wave down a taxi! I decided I could wave my own arm and save the cost. This was unbelievable!

Anyway, for the money I felt this hotel offered a good location close to Robertson and Clark Quay. It was really easy to get around. The staff were efficient enough but it seemed there was a charge for everything and the charges seemed high to me. I likely would not return here as I think you can do better for the rate you pay. The hotel seems to be trapped in a time warp from the 1990's. They really need to update the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear charles c,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret that certain experiences during your stay marred the overall impression you have of the Grand Copthorne Waterfront.

Due to the high occupancy rates, the room you booked was not readily available at the time of your check-in, thus the gesture of the drink coupon was issued so you could relax and have a sip while waiting for the room.

We regret that there was a misunderstanding leading to the charging of the drink to your account, as it was indeed meant to be a gesture of goodwill. We wish you could have alerted us on this mistake so that we could rectify it right away.

While it is good to hear that you appreciated the accessibility of our centralized locale, we hope the same could be said of our room and breakfast. We will take heed of your comments and have possible revisions where necessary.

We wish to restore your faith in us in the future and look forward to every opportunity to welcoming you back again.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Very comfortable, particularly marbe shower. Only problem was it was 15 mins walk either way to MRT, in the heat that was quite a struggle. On the last day we saw a notice for a curtesy bus, this was tucked away by a back door, so look out for it.

Room Tip: Corner room is good so you get a dual aspect
1 Thank Margaret M
Dear Margaret M,

Thank you for your good review. It is heartening to know that you enjoyed a “very comfortable” stay with us at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront.

With regards to the location however, we wish you could have enquired with our concierge on directions, as the MRT is easily accessible via short bus rides from the hotel bus stop. Alternatively, shuttle bus services are available hourly and taxis are easily accessible at our hotel entrance.

We trust you had a splendid stay experience nonetheless and look forward to welcoming you back and being of service to you again.