“Good Location, Overpriced”

Copthorne King's Hotel Singapore
Ranked #109 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very comfortable, air conditioning is paramount and perhaps the best feature to the hotel. The pictures advertised i will admit would reflect a hotel of a greater standard but it was clean and modern. The facilities were good having a nice pool, sauna & gymnasium but unfortenately a strictly asian cuisine in the restaurant. Location was good and availablity of taxi's was handy - I would stay again, but think one could locate a better hotel at the same price.

Room Tip: There is 2 buildings that are the hotel, both face reasonably busy roads. There is a pub at ground l...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
CopthorneKingSing, Hotel Management at Copthorne King's Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Boo_2012,

We are glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us and enjoyed the hotel facilities and ideal location.

Indeed, the specialty of the Princess Terrace Café is its popular Penang Buffet, however we do offer ala carte western menu as well as Wagon Roast at the Starscafé.

We look forward to having you back and being of service to you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at the Copthorne Kings Hotel and I have forgotton what the room rates were. We booked a Club room which we were very disappointed in so we only lasted about 5 minutes in this room.

It was small with two single beds, one chair to sit on which is useless for 2 people and no tables and chairs on the tiny balcony. I went to reception and asked to have a look at their Executive Suite which was a lot nicer with a seperate lounge, dining area, a big bedroom with a very comfortable king size bed, 2 televisions and 2 balconies one of which had a table and chairs. I think it was a few hundred dollars more to upgrade to the Suite but it was well worth it.

We really liked the location of Copthorne Kings as it is walking distance to Chinatown, Clarke Quay and Robertson Quay. The Club Lounge is very small with a nice outdoor seating area and a reasonable selection of food and drinks.

It was very quiet for the five nights we were here but that suited us fine, I have to mention the staff in the Club Lounge were excellent, very friendly and helpful, we actually looked forward to seeing them each day.

So we were happy with our stay at Copthorne Kings, once we had changed rooms but I would class it as a 3 star hotel not 4 star as is on their website.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Cathy&Gary,

Thank you for your feedback, it is good to know that you found the location to be ideal, rooms clean, breakfast fine and service hospitable. We have also noted on your less ideal comments. Nonetheless, we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed 4 nights in the executive club rooms the size of the room was ok, the bathroom was very small and the shower was over the bath so getting in and out was quite dangerous. The bed was like sleeping on concrete so we didn't get much sleep while there, I think if they rectified that the stay would be more enjoyable. Having the club room gave us free drinks in the club lounge for 2 hours every night we were happy with that as the prices in Singapore are expensive and the staff there were lovely we were waited on hand and foot, in saying that the outside area of the club lounge could certainly do with a freshen up and made to look more attractive,very outdated.The proximity of the Hotel is close enough to shopping and restaurants. Overall I would stay here again if I couldn't get something better for the same price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HCarmo

Dear HCarmo,

Thank you for your review. It is nice to hear that you liked the service and benefits of the Executive Club Lounge and enjoyed the hotel’s easy accessibility for shopping and dining purposes.

Additionally, we do provide a mattress topper and a selection of pillows upon request. We are also in the midst of upgrading the area outside the Club lounge. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here for 3nights and I was not at all impressed. On arrival the room we were allocated was so small you couldn't have stayed comfortably in it. It stunk of cigarette smoke even though it was supposed to be a No Smoking Room and if that was supposed to be a superior room then I dread to think what a standard room would have been like ! We complained and we were given an 'Up grade' 'which actually looked like the room I thought I had booked in the first place after checking the web site photos out. I also thought this Hotel gave you free Wi Fi but NO. if you want to pay the equivalent of about £29.00 a day then you can have it . I complained and said that all the other Hotels we had stayed at in Singapore and Bali gave this service as part of the booking . The Reception Staff made you feel like a nuisance. However the Concierge were very helpful.
We also had problems with the hot water....some evenings it was just tepid and you would have to wait an age to get enough for a hot bath.We ended up boiling a kettle to top it up ! The buffet breakfast was good but the food could have been hotter.
It was nice to have a swimming pool to use and the free shuttle bus to various locations was useful.
I would not go back to this Hotel or recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
CopthorneKingSing, Hotel Management at Copthorne King's Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear midge_10,

While it is good to hear that you enjoyed the pool, buffet breakfast, shuttle bus service and concierge service, we were concerned with your less ideal feedback.

We would like to share that while not every hotel offer free wifi in Singapore, we do have special packages which includes complimentary wifi as well as the Club and Suite rooms which are inclusive of wifi.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and we hope to restore your faith in us in the near future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Copthorne Kings is the kind of hotel that is so average writing a review about it seems
pointless, but I know for those who have never been there it is necessary to find out
as much as they can in order to make an informed decision. It's not architecturally attractive, the rooms are small, it is clean, the staff is ok, the bathrooms are small too, breakfast is fine,
the price may be a bit too high in relation to the quality offered. Its location is fantastic, though, walking distance to China Town, Clark Quay, etc. My final comment, Copthorne is not my first
choice of hotel in Singapore.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Lutzy D,

Thank you for your feedback, it is good to know that you found the location fantastic, rooms clean, breakfast fine and service acceptable. We have also noted on your less ideal comments. We hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed here for a week at the end of February 2013 primarily for business.

High level: It was reasonable and close to the Quays.

The room was not large but was adequate. The bed was very firm - I liked it. The bathroom was fine. I was fortunate to have a room on the corner (the circular section) that had nice views of a park and over to the river.

I had wi-fi and breakfast included. The wi-fi was decent. Breakfast was generally good with a reasonable selection, which varied each morning.

The pool was a little old, but generally nice. The steam and sauna rooms were good as well.

The proximity to Clarke and Robertson Quays was also great. It's a bit of a walk to the closest MRT but I enjoy walking around cities. Taxi's are quick, easy and cheap to get, and the Hotel staff happily organise them for you. The staff were polite and helpful. The hotel bar is good, but expensive.

Overall, I'd probably say that it's a good hotel for a business traveller, less so for pleasure.

Tips: There's a shopping centre about 10 min walk away up Kim Seng Road called Great World City. It has a food court, super market etc. There is also an in-house DIY laundry, but it is a little expensive ($8 each for washing and drying).

Lastly, next door in Hotel Miramar there is a great Japanese restaurant called Ikoi. I had great sashimi there - go for the food, the decor is not great.

Room Tip: Higher = better, and the corner (round section) has views of the park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nasonh,

Thank you for your insightful feedback, it is pleasing to know that you reckon the Copthorne King’s to be a good hotel for business traveller and that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I spent nearly a week here. The room was small, but adequate. Internet access cost extra and was included with the breakfast, which was acceptable, but nothing special. The best part of my experience was the proximity of the hotel to the Singapore River, with its many bars and restaurants. I have stayed in worse hotels, but I also have stayed in much better, which is why I would rate this hotel as slightly above average.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Rcovington4,

Thank you for your review. It is nice to hear that you found our rooms to be adequate for your stay and enjoyed the close proximity of our hotel to the Singapore River. We hope to be welcome you back soon and look forward to being of service to you again.