“Best service, charming colonial style!”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #6 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 10, 2010

This hotel is a part of Singapore’s history. Declared as a National Monument, Raffles is a fabulous old colonial style place which has been visited by many dignitaries and celebrities (you can find a lot of their pictures in the corridors).
The service of this hotel is absolutely OUTSTANDING. I think best of the hotels I’ve been so far all over the world. Very personalized attention to all the details of your stay and needs you may have.
Also food was delicious. Many people around to serve you in a breakfast room, great diner buffet
NOTE: Don’t expect a high tech technology or equipment here. Also the bathroom is not an old style only- it’s just quite old indeed. The gym and a swimming pool are both small, BUT if you bare it in mind, and don’t expect it will be different than that, I’m sure you will be very happy with your stay there. It’s a unique place with a very special atmosphere, beautiful old style character and the best service you can get.
Ps. By the way- how many hotels have you noticed being treated as a tourist attraction? …and this one definitely IS such a place- people who can’t afford to stay at, come to visit at least to take a picture and have a coffee there.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank KA_and_MA

Reviewed March 6, 2010

A warm welcome with staff rushing to help with our suitcases.
No lengthy form filling just a signiture and we were whisked to our suite (no mere rooms here) by Dave who was very informative - a credit to the hotel.
What a suite is was too - we could have lived there for ever.
A huge bedroom, small lounge & dinning area and a generous bathroom with double sink. Everything looked traditional, in keeping with the hotel`s history but it was all in excellent condition and worked well. We had suite 103 with a garden view.
The room had everything we needed and I didn`t have to ask for extra anything.
All the staff were polite and geeted you by name in the restaurant, nothing was too much trouble and they were very attentive. True 5 star plus service.
The location of the hotel is good with everything just a walk or quick & cheap taxi ride away.
Breakfast was amazing with good quality food and service - if I had to moan or rather comment on anything it would be that hot food arrived before we had completed our fruit, maybe they were a little too eager.
The hotel has a fab swimming pool on floor 3 but alas we were too busy to use it.
Afternoon tea at approx £25.00 per person is not cheap but the experience and quality are well worth it - if only they would have left the teapot on the table to save us having to ask for refills each time.
The ambience and polite genuine service makes this probably the best hotel we have stayed in, maybe even beating the Peninsula in HK.
We will definitely be staying at Raffles Hotel when we are in Singapore again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I had wanted to stay at this hotel since visiting Singapore 10 years ago. We were to stay for 6 nights. Reception was very smooth and we finished registration in out suite which was large and pleasant overlooking palms etc. Going to breakfast the next day was quite a surprise. My wife was very upset to find tea served in a coffee pot and stewed. It was difficult to get anyone to take our breakfast order and this then took 20 minutes to come despite very few guests and many chefs. Not impressive. We booked to go to Doc Cheng for Valentine's dinner. The meal was very good but was extremely expensive - more so than anywhere I have eaten world wide !! Needless to say we did not eat there again. We were booked for afternoon tea in the Tiffin room and this was much better as there were three times the service than for breakfast, and this also applied to Dinner there. Regarding the tea my wife had to complain to the head waiter to eventually get proper tea in a china pot, albeit a coffee pot !!

1  Thank peterdixon178
Reviewed February 23, 2010

I like this hotel because the bar is world known, as well the best Singapore Sling will get there, carefully ! only 2 recommended, otherwice you get [--] drunk.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank OswinD
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I have stayed here a number of times before and never (thankfully) thought to write a review. So I know the dress code.
It is amazing how ONE negative experience can make you forget about ever staying at a hotel again.

Will try to be short and sweet but that might be hard.

Upon arriving we were being looked at as if we were beggars trying to get in there to beg for money from their guests (hardly).
As mentioned above I have stayed here before so I know the dress code. Maybe it was my age??? Maybe I needed to be more mature looking???

Anyway arrived there and thought heck as a few of my friends (all married) live and work in Singapore why not treat them to a spa as we always go out for dinners. I know they love it and have their favourite spa’s with whom they regularly receive treatment from.

When I asked to check out the spa area they wanted me to get dressed first??? Are you kidding me? I explained to them I just wanted to confirm that I was to spend S$650 per couple (Raffles Signature) for 3 couples and wanted to make sure that I would be getting a descent experience. Still that didn’t work.

So picked up my bag and told them I am going to stay at Goodwood Park Hotel as I had never been treated with service so pathetic even at a 3 star hotel. And this is coming from a 5 star hotel.

I guess unfortunately my mates, who are both Directors for Citigroup and HSBC (respectively), heard about my experience at Raffles but did also rate Goodwood Park Hotel. Good to know that they’ll be sticking with their chosen spa’s and not waste their time at Raffles.

It’s not the money, it’s the service.

Raffles Signature indeed!!!

I guess at this hotel it is not all about you get what you pay for, but far from it.
I made a quick call to another mate (also with Citigroup) who changed their reservations to another hotel nearby.

On a positive note the Hotel is nice, the food is ok (for the price your are paying)
It’s nice to know that they do stop non-guests (or should I say ill-dressed non guests) trying to get in to have a look.
Rooms are a nice size and the whole place does have a nice feel to it - if you can look pass the service.

It’s probably just a once off but sometimes it only takes one negative incident.

It is just unfortunate that on this ONE occasion the service and treatment got my nose bent out of shape and I would hate to have that experience at a 5 star establishment again.

As they say you have to work hard to get new customers but twice as hard to get a customer you have just lost.

Needless to say I will never be staying here again and neither will my family and extended family.

21  Thank k1w1brad
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We just spent several weeks traveling in Asia and stayed at Oriental in Bankok, Four Seasons Ko Samui and Raffles. Raffles may be the best hotel we have ever visited in the world. It has a sense of history and quality that reaches a level I have never seen. The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were magnificent. I had read some concerns regarding whether to be in lobby building or in wings. One of the wings is actually older than the lobby but all completed by the turn of the century. But the complete restoration in 1989 made the entire structure excellent. I would recommend the lobby rooms only for families with extended stays. All the other rooms are suites and the service was excellent. We spent one day just exploring the hotel and the history. This trip included the Orient Express to Bangkok as well as a Four Seasons on Ko. We were particularly impressed with a last minute "save" . When we got to airport to leave I realized I had left my phone and Kindle on bedside valet. United ticket clerk said let me check. Thirty minutes late "Mr. Jimmy" from the front desk had delivered the phone and Kindle to the United desk. And this was at 5:30 AM. Next time when staying at Raffles visit Singapore. A lovely city.

3  Thank cdtBhm
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We decided to stay at Raffles for a week as a way of resting after a particularly busy year work-wise. I had always wanted to stay there and the only thought that troubled me was whether it would live up to expectations.

Well, it did ... it exceeded them.

The hotel itself is beautifully clean and airy and the staff couldn't do enough for us. Our Butler was unbelievably helpful and always let us know when he went off duty and what the temporary Butler's name was.

The room, Palm Court Suite, was more like an apartment. Unlike other reviews our room was always serviced whilst we were at Breakfast and everything was fresh every day. Even the turn-down service was completed when we were out.

The breakfast at the Tiffin Room was staggering!! There were two egg chefs and one Asian chef so the choice of hot food was wonderful. Do make sure that you try the Asian menu ... it is second to none.

We dinned at the Tiffin Room (the Curry Buffet) and the Billiard Room (the International Buffet) and both far exceeded what we were expecting. The flavors and appearance of all of the dishes were beautiful and the service was friendly but efficient.

All in all, Raffles completely EXCEEDED what we were expecting and provides us with the most relaxing week of our lives. We intend to go back again this year and would advise everyone to stay at Raffles if they get the chance.

If you are in Singapore then eat AND stay at Raffles!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple