“A lovely way to spend a couple of days”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Normally I would opt for more modern hotels, and while some aspects of the hotel are a little dated, in this instance the history ambiance make up for slightly tired décor. Suites are spacious and comfortable and the staff couldn’t be more helpful.
Walking along the colonnades knowing the names that have gone before you is truly amazing – a really special place.
Worth every penny.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Clare I

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Nice place, one of this old Palace.
I am normally more for modern hotel, but if you stay once in your life in Singapore and can afford it, do it!
Suite are spacious and have all original atmosphere.
Staffs are very nice but could be bite more efficient.
2 days in a row our room was not ready after 15:00, and one morning seating at 10:00 for a cigarette, it still was the 2 glasses of wine left the night before by some guests...who for me it's a shame considering the reputation of this hotel.
You wouldn't see that in Dubai hotels or Other Palace.
The Plus is the atmosphere and you think that your going to see H.Poirot walking to you!
Good location too.
Concierge was very efficient.

Room Tip: Rooms are all suites and spacious.
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Wrote a review but forgot the photos - here they are...
Misc photos of inside & outside. Room, veranda outside the room with two chairs and a table per room. Was just before Christmas hence the Christmas tree. The Grand-Father clock is in reception and looks great - AND it chimes!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Nigel W
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I had many choices to pick a hotel in Singapore, but when you think of a hotel with the luxury, service and history, Raffles had to be the place to be. Yes, there are many hotels within Singapore that have ultra modern luxury amenities, but you can go to any other city and get that same feeling.
Raffles has that old school feeling, the Sikh Indian doorman once you set foot on the grounds, the check in and check out lobby, the outdoor walkways, the hardwood floors and ceiling fans in your suite gives it a different vibe.
The butler service is a #1, they make their presence felt, there are 3 of them within the 24 hour shift. They make sure that any question you may have is answered quickly. On our first day, they brought over some Singapore Slings to our suite in no time flat. Dinner reservations or a place you want to visit; quickly and correctly booked.
Breakfast was great and the wait staff was quick with orders and service. As soon as my plate was clear, they took it away. My drink glass almost empty, another one served to my table. The waffles were great!
If I had to nick pick about the place, its the old school box 80's box TV (but that was mentioned many times in previous reviews) and the later than usual room clean up. Our room didn't get serviced until 2 or 3 in the afternoon when we were getting back from sightseeing and wanted to take a quick nap before dinnertime. Probably want to request early room serivce.
Other than that, it was flawless and enjoyable! Will return. Hopefully for F1.
Thanks Raffles for the service

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank al2ktoy
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear al2ktoy,

Thank you for your very detailed and complimentary review of Raffles Singapore.

I am delighted to hear that you had an almost flawless and enjoyable experience, as a result of the old world feel, facilities and beautiful architecture; as well as the prompt service from our butlers and the staff at Tiffin Room.

I have noted your feedback on the TV and servicing of the suite and you are quite right in suggesting that should an earlier servicing be required, to let us know in advance. We will be happy to comply.

Thank you for your continued support of Raffles Singapore and I look forward to welcoming you back for F1 in September.

Warm regards,

Simon Hirst
Raffles Singapore

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Raffles is a white temple of light, beauty and heritage; a grand palace where history, opulence and hospitality blend to create a memorable experience.

Pros:
- The building is beyond beautiful. One of the most stunning and grand hotel buildings in Asia, with the added benefits of being in pristine conditions.
- The suites are enormous, nicely laid out, and wonderfully preserve the historic feeling. The period furniture and insanely high ceilings are gorgeous.
- The ambience is fantastic throughout.
- The Long Bar has a great atmosphere and is a good place to hang out and listen to live music until very late.
- Location is perfect, right at the centre of things.

Cons:
- We found one area that needs to be improved: breakfast. My eggs benedict were overcooked both days, and had nowhere near enough hollandaise. The buffet is very good but with less selection than a good business hotel. Service was chaos: on day 2, we got cold / lukewarm coffee three times, four times we were brought food destined for other tables, and had to ask for the bill three times.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2013

A wonderful experience and a birthday i will never forget. The whole Raffles experience is fantastic, from the afternoon tea in The Tiffin Room, Singapore Sling in the Long Bar and the juiciest steak ever tasted in the Steak Restaurant. But best of all had to be our suite, mind blowing luxury. do it folks, add it to your bucket list.

1  Thank Grrr4men
Reviewed December 18, 2013

As a Doctor and a very well traveled person I expected to go to Singapore. However after an unfortunate accident I was left disabled, unable to work and reliant on large amounts of medication and a wheelchair (although able to transfer on crutches) . My great Uncle would tell me stories of sitting in Raffles sipping the famous Singapore Sling and the bar where you throw your peanut shells on the floor.

My 50th Birthday just happened to coincide with a big family event in the USA – an event beyond my capacity. However as a special gift I was treated/used my savings on a trip to Singapore with my dear friend.

Originally the cost of staying at Raffles seemed beyond reach – however when Trip Advisor sent a reduced rate/deal for Singapore Hotels through we decided it was worth the extra and we booked for 4 nights – as we were to get the last night free!

Arrangements were made by my family as they had heard about getting chauffeur transfers and thought it would be helpful and enjoyable treat for my 50th. This was the first of the disappointments – arriving tired and sore at the airport no sign with our names on it. After a while we phoned and were told haughtily as far as Raffles was concerned no such arrangement had been made and we had to get there ourselves.

When we checked in, this issue came up and the receptionist acknowledged that in fact Raffles had been contacted about my 50th and the airport pickup but that ‘my family had not gone about making the airport transfer booking correctly’. What? We were too tired to suggest that they possibly could have been told this! The next issue – we have you for 2 nights. What? No our booking was definitely made for 3 nights plus the 1 free night. No budge on that either – our delightful butler (polite and professional) later went to try correct this issue and returned with a piece of calculator paper with 3100 on it. I asked what this was. This was the amount for the next 2 nights. Wwhhaaatttt? Is this to move to one of the extra-special suites? No, this was to stay in our current courtyard suite room for 2 more nights. (We had booked on a rate of $430p.n. inc breakfast). So we were left with having to find another Hotel to move to but at least we were at Raffles for my 50th!

There was no fault with our courtyard suite – aside from some of the bathroom – that later. But most importantly the beds were very comfortable and the linens pristine, the decor tasteful and thoughtful. Aside from the spooky plumbing noises we slept very soundly.
For ease we had breakfast outside our room in facing across from the courtyard square – the trees provided some privacy but we did begin to rue not having any other outlook or sense of distance. Service was impeccable and we were well treated.

My powerchair broke down first morning as we left to explore – no one came to our aid despite attempts to get help until we were nearly back at our room. We found out that our only hope was to hire a power scooter – this wasted the best part of these precious two Raffle days after the concierge/receptionist mislaid the message from the repair/scooter hire company. It also meant I was crushed into the child-size only available Hotel wheelchair, the side pushed against the wheel- which was too hard for my friend to push me especially in the heat.

We had a booking at the famous Tiffin room for my birthday afternoon tea which we had been looking forward to for weeks (even years). When we got to the room, my friend was still pushing me, no one offered to take over for her, then the worst! Instead of putting us at one of the outside tables at the edge we were shepherded through the massive room to a table ¾ way into and ½ across the Tiffin room this meant that EVERY single table had no choice but to move their chairs or to stand up and make way for us! We were SO EMBARRASSED to inconvenience so many people. Only to get to our table to find that the chair supplied for me was not at all suitable for a disabled person – and then this larger armchair had to be then brought through all the same people. We were then invited to make our way to the Buffet at the far end!! When we informed our waiter that this was not really possible he collected a range of the buffet items for us to choose – but of course it was his selection in addition to the extra tea choices on the table. My friend commented that it made us look very greedy/wasteful, so much ended up uneaten. The sandwiches on the tea rack were all meat/fish, all white bread and all drying out/curling up. We asked for any non-meat options the replacements were good but again white bread and still beginning to dry out. The ‘hot’ dim-sums were very salty and not very hot, the spring rolls were OK, many of the cakes were also not as flavourful/moist as one would have expected. We have had many High Teas in New Zealand which quite frankly have been far superior and considerably cheaper. A few of the mini tarts were good, but then came my surprise Birthday cake which looked lovely–duly accompanied by the (wonderful) Harpist and a few waiters. It all should have been enjoyable but I still felt embarrassed from prior events. We stayed much longer drinking more tea just to not have such a scene again! For a second I thought that Raffles had supplied a birthday cake since it was my 50th etc. No – my girlfriend had purchased it in advance at some cost. It was the worst cake either of us had eaten – yes, chocolate but then it had this layer of what looked like caramel – but was in fact super thick very sour, bitter gelatinous, lemonish stuff.. I love lemon/sour, I like chocolate, I like most things – but this was almost inedible – we in fact just could not eat it despite making an attempt late that night!

We had reservations at the much touted Italian restaurant, but when we realised how far my friend would have to push me I agreed to cancel my ‘birthday dinner’ and ordered room service. We had Laksa – which we both relatively enjoyed and a Singapore Sling –after all got to have a SS on one’s 50th – only one arrived which was placed for my friend- and for some reason the message did not quite get relayed about my missing cocktail – so we gave up on mine and I shared a few sips of my friends. Not exactly the birthday we had anticipated!

We thought to hell with it let’s go to the other end of the expensive spectrum and booked in at the Marina Bay Sands 5 star Hotel (yes the one with the famous high infinity pool) Everything was different/better from the food, to the incredible views, to the pristine amenities to the disabled services. In the end we were thankful that our Raffles booking was messed up (one of those situations when you think it is negative but ultimately turns out for the best!) We took delivery of the hire scooter as we checked in at MBS – and found out that we could have had it the first day we were at Raffles. In fact within a few hours of our inquiry. All that wasted money & time, unable to go anywhere or do anything - waiting to hear when we could get the hire scooter. We missed so many things due to this major oversight. We cannot get it back, and cannot readily afford to take such a trip again. Very angry at Raffles despite the old world charm my 50th birthday was utterly ruined.

The plumbing. Yes I know its old and quaint – so the loud drains etc are part of the experience. However, the mould, missing tile grout/loose tiles , dirty toilet seat hinges are not. My friend eyed the bath and decided she was going to enjoy a nice soak – until she went to run it. Badly stained bath, and shockingly not very clean around the sides, more grime/mould. Even old baths can be restored/kept clean.

Little do we know that this was to be a mild experience when it came to the ‘restrooms’. After we had visited the famous Long Bar (could not really leave until we had) and finished checking out we decided to use the bathroom – and was directed all the way round back to the India Rooms opposite the amazing fountain -this is one of the function areas. It was absolutely disgusting! No excuse for the built up filth and the lack of ventilation with strong odours of stale vomit etc -nor when the lavatory seat detaches which is very dangerous with a disabled person. Other women were commenting – several had the option of returning to their rooms to go to the bathroom and did so - I do understand that Raffles never markets itself as a disabled-appropriate Hotel but this was just appalling. It was the kind of experience you expect at some rough roadside garage or pub not one of the best Hotels in Singapore! And regrettably it was the last experience we had at Raffles!

Room Tip: Go get a Room with a view - try Marina Bay Sands!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank DeeAnne R
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Dr DeeAnne R

Thank you very much for taking time to share your feedback so honestly. I am sorry that we have taken more time than usual to reply as I wanted to investigate fully. Obviously I am terribly disappointed that your overall experience was not what the vast majority of our guests normally enjoy so much at Raffles.

We regret that you felt the tone of our colleague was not appropriate and this is most unusual to hear. We do apologise if it were so. With respect, we have checked our records and it did show that your reservations was made through Expedia for two nights with no request for limousine transfers. Subsequent to your request for the additional nights’ stay, our colleague had presented the rates for the additional two nights on our hotel stationery for your reference. The 4 for 3 offer may be offered by travel agencies and may indeed be available at certain times/seasons. I am sorry we were unable to offer this over this period.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the suite, comfort and service. While I do agree that our bathrooms are rather traditional in design and the bathtub ready for re-coating which is an ongoing programme, they are almost always spotlessly clean.

It was indeed very unfortunate that your power scooter failed at the beginning of your visit. I do apologise that the handling of the message was not to the expected standard. It is very rare that this happens and this has been addressed with the team. We did provide an adult wheelchair, however, we will certainly look at a better quality and larger wheelchair following your feedback.

I am very sorry to hear of your overall experience in Tiffin Room. Many guests in wheelchairs from our experience prefer to be ‘in’ the room than put at the ‘entrance’ or ‘edge’ which had made them feel excluded in the past. Most guests are very understanding of wheelchairs and will go out of their way to be helpful. It happens quite often here. I understand your frustration regarding the buffet, however the waiter was just trying to be helpful and generous. I accept that you found the dim sum salty; the quality has been very consistent and the item is very popular in general. There is of course no excuse for the sandwiches to be starting to become dry however we do have a selection of non-meat sandwiches (the standard includes egg with mayonnaise and cucumber with cream cheese). I am also very disappointed that your cake was not to your liking.

I was very disturbed by your report of the public restrooms and these are inspected on an hourly basis and they may have had an odour due to a recent illness by a previous guest when you visited. They are heavily used in the area and we have permanent staff to maintain these restrooms.

Overall, I can completely understand much of your disappointment and if agreeable, I would like to contact you in the next few days to resolve this directly as we would not wish for this to happen to any of our guests.

Yours sincerely,