“First Class”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel was a pleasure to stay at, everything was perfect, from the bell boy opening the doors of our taxi on arrival and taking our bags directly to our rooms, to the instant checkin at the counter. No waiting here :) your own on call butler, the courtyard suites are huge, with their 14' ceilings, and the ante' room office/lounge/dining room and large verandah's on both sides of the room. The restaurants serve beautiful food and the service is impeccable. Very stylish.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tasydney
Pierre J, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Greetings from Raffles Hotel Singapore!

It is a pleasure to be able to read such kind and positive comments about the hotel. I have shared your review with the staff as personal messages from guests always motivate them to continue delivering first-class service.

Thank you for choosing us for your stay, I look forward to having you again among our guests.

Pierre Jochem,
General Manager Raffles Hotel Singapore & Regional Vice President, Operations, Asia Pacific, Raffles Hotels & Resorts

There are newer reviews for Raffles Hotel Singapore

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Yes, your Singapore Sling will cost you S$25 -- so what? It's a must-do. I read the hotel makes more than 2000 of the drinks every day, yet it does not feel cheesy. The staff is obliging and happy to take photos, I think they're very accustomed to tourists. Enjoy the glimpse of the old colonial life, with the palm frond ceiling fans, dark mahogany bar. Nibble some peanuts, throw your shells on the floor, then enjoy the shopping!

Room Tip: For S$3 extra, you can get a Raffles hotel Singapore Sling cocktail shaker.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank H2where

Greetings from Raffles Hotel Singapore!

Thank you for your review, I am happy to read that you enjoyed the original Singapore Sling and throwing the peanut shells on the floor.

I hope next time you travel to Singapore you visit us again and will maybe even stay with us.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you are interested in imagining what life was like in colonial Singapore, then you must book a stay at the Raffles Hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our four-night stay there, basking in the unobtrusive yet attentive service. Our Courtyard Suite was spacious, with a small sitting/dining area, an enormous bedroom room, and a large bathroom. Breakfast (inclusive in our room rate but otherwise quite expensive) was good for a relatively short visit, but we think we would have gotten bored with the offerings had we stayed longer. We absolutely loved the roof-top swimming pool. It's not large by 21st century standards, but the comfortable chaise lounges and lovely foliage provided a tropical sanctuary from the City's hustle and bustle. Oh and we must add that there is speedy wi-fi throughout the hotel . . . including the pool area (where we were able to listen to the San Francisco Giants' World Series victory). Go Giants!!!

Room Tip: Courtyard suites are very nice, but they are farther away from the hotel lobby than rooms in the mai...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Raffles Hotel Singapore!

We do always work hard to deliver the high levels of comfort, service and food quality which you have clearly enjoyed - and so thank you for the feedback. Indeed, staying at the Grande Dame of Singapore i slike travelling back in time and living for a few days in teh early 20th century, the heyday of the hotel.

I hope you will stay with us at the next occasion in Singapore.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

There are many fine upscale and luxury hotels in Singapore. All of them are very modern, and very familiar. Then there is Raffles: a masterpiece of British Colonial architecture and service. In their wisdom, the management of Raffles has elected to maintain, as closely as possible, the ambiance and tone of the hotel’s 1887 beginnings. The furnishings are Edwardian/Arts & Crafts, and the electrical switches are early Edison. Even the messages delivered to your room have the feel of old telegrams. The rooms themselves are huge and well-appointed. In the tradition of the period, the rooms are divided into a small front parlor, the bedroom, a dressing room, and a bathroom with both shower and tub. Built in the era before air-conditioning, the rooms face an open breezeway to allow the best circulation of fresh air. There are no interior rooms. Of course, air conditioning is now provided, along with two television sets and high-speed wireless internet. I found the beds to be very comfortable. Our room was on the Palm Court. In my opinion, these rooms have the nicest views.
There are some little inconveniences in staying in a hotel that was built 125 years ago. The ceilings are not well insulated and you can hear guests in the room above you walking around. Not loud, but noticeable. There is no door between the front parlor and the bedroom – only a hand-drawn curtain, and there are no black-out curtains on the front windows. As a result, it is impossible to make the room totally dark for sleeping. This did not bother my wife or I but it may be an issue for others.
The service at Raffles is exemplary; on par with the best that I have ever received in a hotel anywhere. I can simply find no fault with it. The one disappointment that I have is with their breakfast. Although they touch all the bases that one would expect of a hotel of this quality in terms of food options, cleanliness and presentation, the fact is that much of it didn't taste great. On successive mornings I tried the Belgian waffles and the Eggs Benedict. Both were disappointing. Their fresh fruit (papaya, melon, grapefruit, oranges) all seem rather flavorless. Their bacon, however, is very good. This something that I hope management will work to correct.
Besides being a hotel, Raffles is a top tourist destination in Singapore. This can be a concern for guests who are hoping for some peace and privacy. Fortunately, the hotel has done an extraordinary job in segregating the tourists from the guest residence areas. At no time during our four day stay did I feel like I was being intruded upon or living in a fish bowl. Due to the complicated layout of the hotel grounds, it is difficult to explain how the hotel managed this. But they did, and it works brilliantly.
Raffles is an expensive hotel. A very expensive one. So, is it worth it to stay here? If I were here on a business trip, I would have to say no. A stay at Raffles is an experience and you really need to have the time and relaxed mind-set to take it all in and appreciate it. It is also located further away from the new financial district than most of the other luxury hotels. If, however, you are on vacation or a romantic getaway and have the resources, then I think Raffles is a must as part of any bucket list experience. To stay here is to be reminded of what Singapore used to be like when the well-to-do of Victorian England took their Grand Tour of Asia. When you come, bring your Rudyard Kipling and Noel Coward to read on the veranda.

Room Tip: Palm Court rooms offer the best experience
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pierre J, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Greetings from Raffles Hotel Singapore!

Many thanks for this detailed and very accurate review of the hotel and our services and posting some pictures of your stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your travel back in time and thank you for recommending our hotel for any bucket list.

Your comments regarding the breakfast menu have been shared with the Food & beverage team and we will work on providing different items.

I hope that one stay at the Raffles Hotel Singapore is not enough, we would be very happy to have you staying here again.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

What a fantastic hotel to stay. I realise its not cheap but worth the money. I had a great time. I was travelling to Australia and had a 2 night stopover in Singapore and I think there are plenty of great hotels in Singapore but Raffles has to be top the choice. Great food and friendly service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Greetings from Raffles Hotel Singapore!

Thank you for posting your review, we are always glad to have feedback. Thank you for choosing the Grande Dame for your stopover stay, I am pleased to know that you were satisfied with the room and the food in teh restaurants. As Somerset Maugham - one of our regular historic guests said: When in Singapore, feed at Raffles.

I look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Lovely few days spent at Raffles for our 25th wedding anniversary, all the good things I had read about we're true, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay except for one thing which has made my review 4 star not 5.....we found the bed way to hard. We love the sweet sleeper beds at Sheraton hotels and found this bed very hard and even gave my husband a backache each morning, so three days was probably enough, as we didnt get a good nights sleep at all due to the bed. Apart from this as I mentioned a lovely experience.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tes

Greetings from Raffles Hotel Singapore!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and share your opinion with us. I am glad that your choice fell on Raffles Hotel Singapore to celebrate such an important anniversary - congratulations to your long marriage!

I am sorry to hear that the bed was too hard and your husband got a back ache. Please be informed that if you let u sknow in advance, we can arrange a softer mattress-top for you to make your sleep better. I hope we can show this to you when you visit next time Singapore, we would be very happy of having you again with us.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just had a drink here and I really loved the atmosphere, had the famous Singapore sling and threw some shells on the floor! Worth every minute! And penny! Really hope to stay in the hotel next time I visit Singapore as I heard the rooms are just beautiful. You will think you have escaped the business of the city when you step onto the grounds!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen R

Greetings from Raffles Hotel Singapore!

Thank you for writing your feedback, I am happy to hear you enjoyed the original Singapore Sling and also the throwing of peanut shells on the floor.

I would be happy to have you as our guest next time when you viist Singapore and remain with kind regards,