“Great stopover” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Adelaide
“Great stopover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Fairmont is a great choice for travellers wanting to break up a long flight. The generous-sized pools, the gym, the spa treatments and the soft mattresses provide plenty of opportunities to stretch cramped muscles and unwind.
If you have a late flight, you can leave your luggage in a designated area in the foyer area and you may also be able to negotiate a later check-out time if the hotel isn't too busy. Amazingly, they also provide a special room on Level 6 for people who have checked out but need somewhere to hang out for a while. (I didn't see the facilities so can't give details).
The hotel can be expensive but there are good deals to be found online. We got an excellent discount through TravelHouse which included breakfast. When we checked in, we were offered an upgrade to a deluxe room - an unexpected bonus! The room was like a mini-apartment - very comfortable and with a surprising amount of floor space. You have a choice of breakfast venues and we chose poolside (The Alligator Pear on the 8th floor). Breakfast was really good - lots of fresh fruit, fresh orange juice, Bircher muesli ... organic jams and a range of hot foods, pastries, croissants etc. The birds can be a nuisance and I had to chase away a couple of mynah birds that were helping themselves to the muesli! The hotel needs to put a staff member on permanent bird watch.
If it's really hot during your Singapore stay, you can head for the acres of air-conditioned shopping centres underground. The closest is Raffles City which is accessed via a door in the hotel reception area (turn left at the President's Club counter). You'll find everything you could possibly need and more! The shopping centres are all linked so keep walking and you'll find more.
Suggestion: Visit the newly-opened Gardens by the Bay not far from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view to lessen traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tourist014
FairmontSingapore, Director of Quality at Fairmont Singapore, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

We take pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your positive comments on the hotel’s amenities, service, facilities and the convenience of the location are greatly appreciated. At the same time, you might like to know that we’re already seeking an effective permanent solution to the bird issue at the poolside.

Thank you for choosing Fairmont Singapore!

Director of Quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Lights turn on and off by themselves, and the curtains open and close erratically. In the space of the last 45 minutes, my desk light and the hallway lights have turned off (and, sometimes, on) without anyone or anything touching the control box. This situation has happened to my colleagues on this business trip and to me several times when I've previously stayed at this hotel. Fairmont needs to fix its electrical system soon. Even though my company gets a decent rate at this hotel, I plan to avoid the Fairmont Singapore during my future trips. Unless you enjoy having the lights flash on and off and the drapes open and close while you try to work or sleep, do no book at this hotel.

Room Tip: The best plan is to book a room at a different hotel, But, if you have to stay in the Fairmont Singa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank RichWSanFrancisco_CA
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that your feedback on the hotel’s electrical system have been noted and will be followed up by the relevant departments to ensure that the lapses do not reoccur.

We hope to welcome you back to Fairmont Singapore!

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The moment we entered the grand lobby, we were greeted by the wonderful staff and offered nice cool drinks (even before we checked in). Since we had children with us, we were upgraded (complimentary) to a lower-floored suite facing the hotel pools. Amenities in the room were very nice. Mini-fridge and Nespresso machine were in all rooms. Nightly turn-down service was a nice touch. Beds were very comfortable, even the roll-away bed!

Our hotel package included breakfasts every morning. The buffet breakfast on the first floor cafe was wonderful, a great variety of food and drinks. We spent the second morning eating breakfast at the poolside cafe. Slightly less choice of food, but was still plenty. The only complaint we had was the plenty of birds landing on chairs and tables, which posed a health concern.

Overall, it's a wonderful hotel, comparing to other hotels we stayed in Singapore before. We can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank maxmiles
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your positive review on the hotel’s lobby, breakfasts, beds, turndown service and room amenities. At the same time, we have noted your feedback on the birds at the poolside and are currently sourcing for an effective and permanent solution to this.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Fairmont Singapore!

Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

When arriving at The Fairmont I wasn’t entirely sure that I had done the right thing. I had eschewed the romance of a stay in Raffles and had begun to wonder whether I was missing out. My concern was unjustified; The Fairmont is a fabulous hotel. Modern and business like perhaps, but with enough charm and energy to enthuse any traveller. The service was impeccable and the surroundings opulent.

Upon arrival my wife and I were allocated a room on the 11th floor that came with a full width balcony overlooking the heart of the city. The option of drawing the curtains via a switch whilst lying in bed, to reveal such a spectacular scene, is a joy of which one could never tire.

We ate at a couple of the hotel’s restaurants and found them to be excellent. We decided to take breakfast by the pool which always felt wonderfully chilled out. I feel especially indebted to the chef for introducing me to Bircher Muesli which really does make for the finest of breakfasts. I have sought it since but never found any better.

Singapore itself is a delight. I like most visitors spend a few days there on the way to somewhere else, and it is almost a shame that that the country is where it is and has such a good airport and air links, as it really is a place worthy of a much longer stay. Especially if you’re staying at The Fairmont.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LeePhilipCollins
FairmontSingapore, Director of Quality at Fairmont Singapore at Fairmont Singapore, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review regarding your recent stay. We’re happy that you enjoyed it and especially the hotel’s service, view, restaurants and the convenience of the location.

Thank you for choosing Fairmont Singapore!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Just had my 3d2n staycation at Fairmont, courtesy of a lucky draw. It was my first time staying at Fairmont and I am definitely tempted to return for more staycations in the future!

I was checked into a twin room on the 16th floor by a very amiable front desk staff, Lani. She wad courteous and smiley, certainly set me in the right mood for the good holiday. The room was spacious and bright.

The cleaning staff were very earnest and eager to please, checking with me several times to make sure that things were okay (I declined room service because my room didn't require that). Even the valet took the trouble to call me and check if I was using my car that night, if not they would be moving to a sheltered carpark instead of leaving it at the main entrance. Certainly a nice touch.

Basically it was a great stay. The location, with all the eateries and shopping just downstairs at the Raffles City shopping centre is really unbeatable. In this aspect, I find Fairmont to be even better than MBS, where I stayed in May.

The hotel does have its share of issues - the lift button was a bit unreliable, the fridge cabinet was showing signs of real wear and tear, the shower curtain showed signs of mould albeit only slightly - but it didn't really bother me.

Good stay and I will definitely want to return soon.

• Stayed August 2012
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

6 Nights for work... every single one a delight!! The Fairmont Hotel is every bit of the 5 star hotel experience you would expect with not a disappointment in site.

Starting from the driveway and the foyer the grandness oozes out of this place. Pleasant and relaxed atmosphere while still feeling busy and lively which makes you feel like you're really in Singapore and being part of it.

Every single staff member at the Fairmont is kind, friendly, helpful and seems like they mean it too! I think the number of staff about to be your friends away from home is where most of the room rate is going when you stay here - but again well worth it if you can get a good deal or can afford it.

Staying here 6 days for work was a treat and my colleague and I had some very productive sessions working either in the rooms or in the Ink bar downstairs. Getting on the internet seemed like a challenge until I got myself into "The Presidents Club" offering my complimentary internet during any stays at Fairmont hotels. Once on, the connection was reliable and fast - a necessity in my line of work!!

Even though we booked on a holiday special (SGD$269 per night!!) we both got upgraded to Signature rooms… complete with large living area, excellent working space and desk plus 2 balconies. The fit out and taste of the rooms are nice, well set out and fairly new. Bathroom was massive with a separate spa bath and shower plus full sized vanity. More than enough to feel like you're not in a hotel!! Some of the bathroom fittings are a bit dated but nothing worth complaining about - it just wasn't built yesterday!

The location of the Fairmont is genius being right across the road from the Raffles Hotel and pretty much on top of Raffles City and Town Hall MRT station. Took a while to figure this out but just off the foyer is the entry to a multitude of shops and eating places.

Don't expect anything at the Fairmont to be cheap - everything is top shelf, service is excellent, response is quick - and all that comes at a price. Not completely out of reach if you're willing take a hit for a taste of the good life - after all, it’s not the Raffles (but certainly do pop across to the Raffles courtyard for a Sling or two)!!!

The breakfast room ("Prego") is absolutely superb… an incredible looong array of bakery treats, fruits and juices displayed like a David Jones food market. The hot food bar doesn't disappoint with an awesome selection of both western and local foods. Service is over the top and sometimes a little intrusive but we'll get past that because the whole experience is great. Where the fun stops is when you leave and get blessed with a SGD$55 bill. For what it is - well worth it - but this was a one time treat for us as I think our breakfast dollars are better spent elsewhere! If your company's paying then look no further.

All up, I plan to stay here during frequent business trips for Singapore in the next year or so and hope we can get the excellent rates as much as possible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank whenareyoucominghome
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review!

We’re glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your compliments on the hotel’s atmosphere, service, layout, restaurants and the convenience of the location. Rest assured that we will continue to seek ways to improve our service and fulfill our mission of turning moments into memories for our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back to Fairmont Singapore!

Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has impeccable standards when it comes to details. Room was very clean and had a nice view of Marina Bay. Breakfast buffest is very good: you have an option to have it at he lobby or at poolside at the 8f. The lobby option has the most number of items or selections though. Location is superb as it's nestled beside Raffles Mall. Above everything were the staff. If you're visiting Singapore, stay at this hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We’re glad to know that our hotel met your expectations. We appreciate your compliments on the hotel’s staff service, cleanliness, view, breakfast and the convenience of the location.

Thank you for choosing and recommending Fairmont Singapore!