We had a lovely time at this hotel and would definitely stay there again. It is in a great location for dining out with Clake Quay and Riverside Point about two minutes away and Boat Quay about a 15 minute walk. To get to a shopping mall it was a $5-6 taxi ride. However, initial impressions weren't great!
When we pulled up in the taxi the road outside was a construction site with lots of noise and dust everywhere. Once inside the hotel the noise wasn't bad but more fun was to come!
We had booked an extra night at the hotel as our flight from NZ arrived in at 6.45am and we wanted to check in straight away. At reception we were told that because we hadn't turned up the night before they had sold our room and we would have to wait. They claimed they didn't know we were arriving in the morning despite it being in black and white on our reservation forms. They eventually found us a room which was on the third floor near the lifts. Not a bad room but the noise from people talking at the lifts was annoying.
Luckily we weren't in that room for very long as my husband worked his magic and we were moved to another room. This room was lovely, it was nice and big and had a balcony that overlooked Clarke Quay with two chairs and a table. The room was serviced every day and was kept very clean. Each night we had a small bar of Toblerone and a bottle of water by the bed (a great touch given the heat in Singapore). We could hear the construction from this room but it wasn't that annoying (when we arrived they were working on getting the road outside the hotel finished which accounted for most of the noise, by the time we left this was finished) and there was noise from a nightclub across the river but again not that invasive that we couldn't sleep. The bed was a true king size, not two twin beds pushed together and was extremely comfortable. The pillows were great too.
We had dinner in the Blue Potato one night - the bbq buffet. Which was great, there was loads of food and they cooked your meat/seafood in front of you. The staff were very attentive.
Highly recommended is the buffet breakfast in the Ellenborough Cafe. The selection was great and they cooked your eggs on demand to your specification.
We also had room service our first night and it was good, hot and arrived quickly.
They also do a high tea in the Crossroads bar, a booking is recommended as they seem to fill it every day.
We found the price of alcohol very high at the hotel and at the restaurants on Clarke Quay and in the nearby supermarket. If you like a glass of wine or a beer at the end of the day, take your own from your home country. Currently you can take 1 litre of spirits and 1 litre of wine or beer into Singapore.
There is a supermarket over at Liang Court Mall. It is in the basement and opens about 10am.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swissotel Merchant Court, Singapore offers the best of both worlds: a central-city location and resort-style ambience. The hotel is ideally located on the banks of the Singapore River, next to Clarke Quay Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station. Facilities including two award-winning restaurants, one contemporary bar, a resort-style swimming pool, 24-hour Fitness Centre and Purovel Spa & Sport, the region's first luxury Swiss spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Fairmont Hotels, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Booking.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Merchant Court Hotel Singapore
- Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore