“Good hotel”

Ranked #38 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Sydney, Australia
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

In the city where hotels are super expensive, Swissotel was a good choice for us.
Location was great. Right opposite Clarke Quay. Hotel has two pools - one for kids and one for adults (which not many people used?). The main pool has a small waterslide which kids seem to enjoy a lot.
Our hotel didn't include breakfast and wifi wasn't included (so we just went to Starbucks opposite!)
Our room was small and little dated, it had no view but comfortable.
It wasnt anything to write home about and we would look for something different next time. But it wasn't bad at all and if the price is right, we will be happy to come back.

Room Tip: Higher floots will have better views
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Anna S,

Thank you for the kind review on your stay with us at Swissôtel Merchant Court. I am pleased to hear that you and your partner had a pleasant stay with us. I appreciate your feedback on the WIFI availability, and am delighted to share that free high speed internet access is now being offered in all room categories. My team and I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Rainer Tenius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked a family room deal well in advance of our visit - interconnecting rooms, 1k + 2s, with the kids room at half price. Rooms are ok sized, very clean & well serviced although the bathrooms are a bit dated. Closer to our arrival we asked about breakfast which is usually S$33pp - bit pricey so we asked for a discount & were given one. Breakfast is buffet style with a good range of options with some different dishes daily - try the bircher muesli.
Pool is good but they close it at the first sight of rain in case there is a storm. There is also a very useful self service laundry - S$9 per wash & S$9 dryer with tokens purchased from reception.
We found the staff to be extremely polite & helpful, my daughter asked one of the chamber maids for some extra hot chocolate sachets which were brought soon afterwards.
Not really a 5* hotel but excellent location and very suitable for a family visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear EggyR,

Thank you for your kind compliments. I am pleased to note that you and your family have enjoyed the comfort of our rooms, amenities, Food and Beverage offerings and our Swiss hospitality. My team and I are warmed by your commendations and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights as a family staycation. Kids totally enjoyed the huge pool, especially the slide.
Room is comfy. Dinner at ellenborough cafe was good - great spread of local delights esp nonya cuisine. Durian is fabulous. Good for tourists who would like to try out local flavours.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear JennLoke,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to learn that you and your family had a great stay with us and that your children particularly enjoyed the water slides at the pool. The Durian Pengat at Ellenborough Market Café is one of our restaurant’s specialties which my culinary team and I are pleased to have your praises and recommendation of it. Once again, thank you for your compliments and I look forward to see you again soon.

Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Accessible to night life.. Club/bars/malls/restaurants/etc just 5 mins walk away. Location is excellent. But so far I didn't like the experience I got after paying 1k a night for the executive suite. Maybe you could go for the normal rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Helena L,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to hear that you and your friends had enjoyed the convenience of our location, at the same time, concern to note of the experience was not up to expectations. I apologise for the shortfall that you have encountered and my team and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again with the standards you have come to expect.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

I have a serious issue with this hotel. Other than its location and the breakfast, absolutely everything needs to be torn down and redone.

1. Service: Extremely pool quality. This is an issue in Singapore in general. Ask any local and they will agree -- Singaporeans are bad at providing good service. It's just not part of the culture. Hotel staff are rather cold, and certainly do not go out of their way to help you or to expedite anything. And, surprisingly, for a country that is supposed to have English as an official language, some of the hotel staff could not understand basic requests. I asked for a luggage cart to be brought up to my room for checkout; instead, 10 minutes later, a man appeared with a luggage rack.

2. Decor, Fit and Finish: Extremely outdated and shoddy. The furniture throughout (lobby, reception, common areas, rooms) is very old, of very poor quality, and clearly is 5-10 years past due for renewal. I think this is embarrassing for a hotel, particularly in a city where almost EVERYTHING is constantly being renewed.

3. Room Design: Terrible. For instance, in a double room, there is a sliding closet beside one bed, with very little space between the bed and the closet. If you're sharing a room with anyone, you have to go into their personal space on their side of the room to access the closet. There are insufficient outlets in the rooms. There were a total of two power outlets in our room that we could use, and only one of them was beside a bed; the other bed didn't have any next to it. The bathrooms are, in contrast to the rest of the room, oddly large, and also quite outdated.

I just don't get it. I don't get who designed this property, what they were thinking, and what the management continues to think with respect to the service provided and the lack of investment in the property itself. In a city with so many hotels to choose from, I would urge travelers to take their dollars elsewhere. Even the other Swissotel just down the road is reportedly MUCH better than this dungeon of mediocrity.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank xps900
Dear xps900,

Thank you for taking your time to share your review on your recent stay with us. It is with much regret to learn that your stay was not up to expectations and I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the disappointment felt. Please be assured that what you have experienced is definitely not indicative of what we seek to provide for our guests, and that it will be a reminder to team and I to constantly strive for improvements so as to ensure the best possible experience for all our guests during each stay. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope for an opportunity to welcome you and your friends back and provide you with the standards that you have come to expect.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Great location. Ambience great. Clean. Facilities good. Restaurant would hv been perfect if certain food was made on the spot for freshness (eg waffles/French toast). Should provide free internet for all room types. That would be a great value add.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Kc k,

Thank you for choosing Swissôtel Merchant Court during your stay in Singapore. I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and the convenience of our hotel’s location. I thank you for your feedback on the Internet services and am pleased to share that free high-speed Internet access is now offered to all room categories. My team and I hope to welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

From the moment we were spotted with luggage by doormen we received fabulous service. This continued through to checkout when we were provided with shower facilities some hours later to prepare for flight home. Very personal service anticipating every need.
The quality of amenities in the hotel and in the guest room was excellent. Great wifi with Executive Club package. The Exec Club is the way to go with breakfast and evening happy hour and nibbles.
The location of the hotel is superb with easy access to MRT and especially Clarke Quay. Harbour just a short stroll. Close to Chinatown.
Hint: a view over Clarke Quay may be nice, but can get very noisy at night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Ian H
Dear Ian H,

Thank you for the kind review on your stay at Swissôtel Merchant Court. I am truly warmed to hear of the praises you and your partner have of us. I hope you and your partner had a great time enjoying the many interesting sights around Singapore and my team and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Singapore in the near future.