“Singapore Stopover to NZ”

Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore
Ranked #35 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
“Singapore Stopover to NZ”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We arrive on a late flight from NZ, no reservation. Showed copy of all documentation from travel agent in New Zealand confirming reservation. Receptionist did not believe us. Charged us $500 on Visa card to cover bar tab and room even though all documentation re hotel stated it had been pre-paid. Room given was 2 double beds in the same room (it was our honeymoon) in a very mediocre part of the hotel. Interior run-down, bathroom tiles broken and cracked. Breakfast average and nothing special. My husband and I had just spent 3 weeks going through Vietnam and Koh Samui staying in 4 & 5 star hotels, this one was the worst of all. What made the experience really poor was staff treated you with indifference. A lot of staff whilst spoke English did not understand English and therefore communication difficult. If you smoke there is nowhere in the hotel for guests, you have to go to Clarke Quay (river) to do so. The hotel started my experience in Singapore badly and in the end I was happy to check out early and spend the balance of my stay at the airport until I flew home. Really disappointed as I had looked forward to that part of the trip. Just as well we didn't spend 10 days there as we were going to originally. This experience has made me think twice of ever going through Singapore as a stop-over.

1 Thank Karen C
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Karen C,

Thank you for your review. Please allow me to extend my apologies for the disappointment encountered over your stay with us. My team and I appreciate your comments which will allow us to constantly monitor and improve our offerings. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again with the standards you have come to expect.

Rainer Tenius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for 2 nights. Location very convenient and right next to Clark Quay. Staff were nice and room was clean.

Breakfast was included. Taste ok but choices
limited. Suitable to both business traveller and family vacation traveller.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Edmand C,

Thank you for choosing Swissôtel Merchant Court during your stay in Singapore. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

A good, clean hotel in an interesting part of Singapore. It's easy to get around Singapore as the taxis are very cheap and easy to access. The pool was clean and the rooms comfortable. Good bathroom facilities.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Cheryl D,

Thank you for your kind review and compliments. I hope you and your family had the opportunity to visit the many interesting sights in Singapore and my team and I look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Kapunda, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Our second stay at Merchant Court, and third overall at Swissotel in Singapore. Our last trip we stayed at Swissotel Stamford. Now the two are very different, but also very alike. Merchant Court is as everyone reading these reviews located at Clarke Quay, which is a very busy and popular eating & entertainment district.

So location is great, travel around is made very easy with the MRT station next door (tip: turn right on leaving the hotel, and follow the balcony right around the hotel to the MRT station, rather than going across the road into Central shopping centre).

Room: Well there is no comparison to the room we had at Stamford Rd, but we went for budget, so view wise, nothing to rave about - a view of the shopping centre/office block across the way. But that wasnt a problem, we werent in the room all day. Room size, small but bigger than I had remembered, with a mini bar, big screen tv, aircon that was perfect, writing desk, loads of power points. The bathroom was nice, big, clean. I have to say the room service staff were terrific.

Pool: The pool area is much better than Stamford Rd site, and has great views and a quiet place to do nothing if you have the time to do nothing.

Check in/out: No dramas, quick and efficient, paying for a late check out is terrific, so if they can. Do it, most flights to Oz are later in the evening, and having somewhere to shower before leaving is a nice touch.

As always: Would I stay there again - yes!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a late check out if you have a flight leaving later in the night
1 Thank Colin S
Dear col5353,

Thank you for your kind review. It is very heartening to hear that you and your partner had a delightful stay with us. My team and I are warmed by your continuous support and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit soon.

Aubin Grove
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had a fantastic stay at the Swissotel Merchant Court. Everything was just perfect. The room was clean and well laid out. The staff were so friendly. And the facilties were great. Great hotel for families!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Lidia B,

Thank you for your kind review and compliments. I am truly pleased to note that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us and hoped you had a great time exploring Singapore as well. My team and I look forward to welcome you again soon.

Camden South
Reviewed June 6, 2014

A hotel with old world charm, but modern facilities. Location right near trains, Clark Quay and Boat Quay.Rooms a good size. Signing up to their free loyalty program enables free access to wi fi internet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Christine M
Dear Christine M,

Thank you for your kind compliments. I am delighted to hear that you and your partner had a pleasant stay with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back again at Swissôtel Merchant Court in the near future.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Swissotel Merchant Court is one of the best hotels in Singapore in my opinion. Every little detail the hotel has prepared for its guests is absolutely impressive. From the moment I arrived, I could feel the warm welcome everywhere. The hotel offers very fast check-in process and requires little effort to fill in boring documents. Hotel personnel are polite and most of them are capable of giving me advice in English. The bedroom looks contemporary and cozy with little balcony that offers quite a stunning view (please look at my photos). The room greets me with free drinking water and chocolates as well as daily newspaper every day. I also love the fact that the location of the hotel is excellent (see the map I post). It is close to many tourist spots. From the hotel, I can walk to China town to buy great souvenirs as well as strolling along the Singapore River to explore Clarke Quay and its many neighboring quays.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor is 20% more expensive but you will get great river view from your balcony.
Dear piyawadee11,

Thank you for the kind review on your stay at Swissôtel Merchant Court. I am truly honoured and heartened by your generous compliments. Your commendations will certainly act as an encouragement for my team and I to always improve and serve you better. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Singapore in the near future.