“Second time a charm” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Kapunda, Australia
“Second time a charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Our second stay at Merchant Court, and third overall at Swissotel in Singapore. Our last trip we stayed at Swissotel Stamford. Now the two are very different, but also very alike. Merchant Court is as everyone reading these reviews located at Clarke Quay, which is a very busy and popular eating & entertainment district.

So location is great, travel around is made very easy with the MRT station next door (tip: turn right on leaving the hotel, and follow the balcony right around the hotel to the MRT station, rather than going across the road into Central shopping centre).

Room: Well there is no comparison to the room we had at Stamford Rd, but we went for budget, so view wise, nothing to rave about - a view of the shopping centre/office block across the way. But that wasnt a problem, we werent in the room all day. Room size, small but bigger than I had remembered, with a mini bar, big screen tv, aircon that was perfect, writing desk, loads of power points. The bathroom was nice, big, clean. I have to say the room service staff were terrific.

Pool: The pool area is much better than Stamford Rd site, and has great views and a quiet place to do nothing if you have the time to do nothing.

Check in/out: No dramas, quick and efficient, paying for a late check out is terrific, so if they can. Do it, most flights to Oz are later in the evening, and having somewhere to shower before leaving is a nice touch.

As always: Would I stay there again - yes!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a late check out if you have a flight leaving later in the night
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colin S
SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear col5353,

Thank you for your kind review. It is very heartening to hear that you and your partner had a delightful stay with us. My team and I are warmed by your continuous support and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit soon.

Rainer Tenius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Aubin Grove
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had a fantastic stay at the Swissotel Merchant Court. Everything was just perfect. The room was clean and well laid out. The staff were so friendly. And the facilties were great. Great hotel for families!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

SingaporeMerchantCT, General Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Lidia B,

Thank you for your kind review and compliments. I am truly pleased to note that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us and hoped you had a great time exploring Singapore as well. My team and I look forward to welcome you again soon.

Camden South
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

A hotel with old world charm, but modern facilities. Location right near trains, Clark Quay and Boat Quay.Rooms a good size. Signing up to their free loyalty program enables free access to wi fi internet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Christine M
Dear Christine M,

Thank you for your kind compliments. I am delighted to hear that you and your partner had a pleasant stay with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back again at Swissôtel Merchant Court in the near future.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

Swissotel Merchant Court is one of the best hotels in Singapore in my opinion. Every little detail the hotel has prepared for its guests is absolutely impressive. From the moment I arrived, I could feel the warm welcome everywhere. The hotel offers very fast check-in process and requires little effort to fill in boring documents. Hotel personnel are polite and most of them are capable of giving me advice in English. The bedroom looks contemporary and cozy with little balcony that offers quite a stunning view (please look at my photos). The room greets me with free drinking water and chocolates as well as daily newspaper every day. I also love the fact that the location of the hotel is excellent (see the map I post). It is close to many tourist spots. From the hotel, I can walk to China town to buy great souvenirs as well as strolling along the Singapore River to explore Clarke Quay and its many neighboring quays.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor is 20% more expensive but you will get great river view from your balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear piyawadee11,

Thank you for the kind review on your stay at Swissôtel Merchant Court. I am truly honoured and heartened by your generous compliments. Your commendations will certainly act as an encouragement for my team and I to always improve and serve you better. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Singapore in the near future.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

We chose this hotel for a family get-together and it proved ideal for our grandchildren and their parents. Their interconnecting rooms were great and the facilities for the children were impressive. (The hotel had asked in advance for their ages.) My husband and I had a Swiss Advantage room which seemed no different in size and furnishings from a classic room except that we had a nespresso machine and our wi-fi was free. We appreciated the iron and ironing board and we also had a nice view over to the river.
The hotel looks rather dated and we found the reception area rather dreary but the swimming pool was excellent.
When booking our accommodation (which we did direct) we had to make various changes over the months but my emails were always answered promptly and efficiently and all our requirements were met. However at the hotel not all the reception staff seemed totally competent; despite having received written confirmation that a cot would be provided for our grandson we were told on arrival that we could have a cot 'if one was available'. Until a senior manager intervened it was also said to be impossible for us to pay for our family's rooms in advance.
As tourists we thought the hotel was in a perfect location - right next to the MRT station and with numerous restaurants along the quays.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Jinty27,

Thank you for the kind review on your recent stay with us at Swissôtel Merchant Court. I am pleased to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us but allow me to apologise for the areas that did not meet with your expectations. My team and I look forward to your return visit soon.

Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

Great location although a little noisy.
Room was very good and balcony over the canal was lovely. The WiFi was really good with no dropouts ...
Would return to this motel if we head to Singapore again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Kim T,

Thank you for choosing kind review. I am pleased to hear that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us. My team and I are honoured by your support and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

An attractive property in a great location. Staff were very welcoming. Comfortable rooms and spacious bathrooms. No noise from Clarke Quay in the rooms. Lovely pool/poolside area. Great breakfast buffet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear JaneW255103,

Thank you for choosing Swissôtel Merchant Court as your preferred accommodation in Singapore. I am truly pleased to note that you and your friends have enjoyed your stay with us. My team and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next return soon.