This hotel is part of an international chain of properties, and is nice enough (with all the services and conveniences) but lacks the character that some of the smaller, boutique hotels can offer. First impressions are good, with an immaculate appearance from the outside and from the inside foyer area. All very large and spacious, with the foyer containing a large reception counter, a concierge station, sitting areas and a lounge bar. Outside they have their own driveway and offloading point and there are usually taxis waiting out on the road. (NB: The hotel is opposite a shopping centre and walking distance to others, the riverfront and many eating places and bars.)
Unfortunately, I arrived about 1:30am and was not met nor helped with my luggage from the taxi to reception. My initial thoughts were, “the place may look nice, but the service is lacking from the start”. This was a disappointing start, as I was really tired and exhausted from travelling and could’ve done with assistance with my bags. This was the only service fault experienced throughout my stay. Check in was procedural and took only a few minutes, and then I was escorted to my room by the porter via one of the large elevators.
My room was one of the mid-range styles on the 9th floor, well presented, modern looking and very clean, but not very big. The room consisted of an entrance way which contained the tea & coffee station (inclusive of a coffee machine), minibar, drinks, snacks and glasses etc. all kept on a cabinet, followed by the bedroom area with an ensuite off to the side. The bedroom had a comfortable, king size bed (though the pillows were atrocious – lucky enough they have a pillow menu....which the choices are free [one of the few additional services that are]), two bedside tables with a central control console for the electrics, two wall mounted lamps (which also have the flexible reading lights), a large, wall mounted, flat screen TV, a small desk, and an office style chair. The desk had an internet connection, which costs extra to use (another element of profiteering by international hotels), a desk lamp and a telephone.
The ensuite was very clean and functional, but relatively small. It had a western style toilet, a vanity area with a sink, mirror, hair dryer, complimentary items and a wall mounted, moveable vanity/make up mirror, and a shower in bath with a towel rack at the end.
I didn’t use any of the restaurants or other hotel’s facilities, besides a couple of room service dinners. The choices are limited, and late evening dining is restrictive even further. The costs are fairly high, the wait time is minimal and the quality is pretty good, but there are much better options overall, outside along the river.
Overall, this hotel is very nice, but it is expensive and definitely not a bargain (if that’s what you’re after or chasing). I would look at trying another hotel if I visit Singapore again, but if I had to return to this one I wouldn’t be disappointed. I am recommending this hotel to others if looking for an international style one, but not highly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swissotel Merchant Court, Singapore offers the best of both worlds: a central-city location and resort-style ambience. The hotel is ideally located on the banks of the Singapore River, next to Clarke Quay Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station. Facilities including two award-winning restaurants, one contemporary bar, a resort-style swimming pool, 24-hour Fitness Centre and Purovel Spa & Sport, the region's first luxury Swiss spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fairmont Hotels, Expedia, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Merchant Court Hotel Singapore
- Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore