“deteriorating”

Ranked #70 of 314 Hotels in Singapore
Manila
“deteriorating”
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I am in Singapore at least 4 times a year, and I often stay at this hotel. In the past two years, however, the service and accomodations have deteriorated.

You need to specify that you be given a room on the higher floors, as these have been renovated. I asked the front desk this last visit if the lower floors have been renovated, and I was told that not all rooms have been refurbished.

There are 2 locations for breakfast. I found it odd that in one location, honey for toast was available, while in the other area, you would have to request for it. Breakfast coffee in this hotel is awful.

But breakfast time is until 11am, which is great. Almost all hotels close their breakfast service by 10am or 10:30am.

Check-out efficiency is hit-and-miss. My last stay, I was lucky, and was able to check out quickly. However, I have experienced very long check-outs here that have made me nervous about getting to the airport on time!

Good feature are the ice-machines available on some floors; when you check in, ask if that floor has a working ice-machine.

Bathroom amenities: even if there are two of you in the room, they'll only give you a set for one (so it's a scramble for the shower cap!). And replenishment of bathroom amenities also hit-and-miss; some days they give you a new bar of soap, other times they don't.

The bathtub/shower is horrible; the half-glass door shower enclosure was a huge design mistake. it causes the bathroom to flood, once you take a shower. This last visit, half the shower time was spent mopping up the flooded floor!

Room service is fair.

I don't know if other hotels have first aid facilities, as I have never had use for them, although I travel constantly. This last time, I had a bad cut, and called for a band-aid. I was told I had to buy the whole pack of twenty for about S$5. I recall that in some hotels, you get band-aids in the room, so I was a bit surprised, but paid for it anyway (it was late in the evening, so I had no choice).

This last stay, because they could not give me a room on a higher floor, I was "upgraded" to the member's floor. Normally, an upgrade implies either an upgrade of facilities, or added perks (like use of the members' lounge). In this case, I got nothing new for the "upgrade", it was the same-sized room, same amenities, no use of the lounge. And one of the two phones was busted.

This used to be my favorite Singapore hotel, but in recent months, I've transferred my business to the Mandarin Oriental, where the accomodations are superior, the breakfast selection awesome, and the service and amenities exceptional.

Am still hoping this hotel gets its act together, since the location is prime (City Hall MRT station is just beneath the hotel, and there's an attached mall - Raffles City). Otherwise, its star rating should be downgraded.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank ahmlaw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,605)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Munich
Reviewed June 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed five nights at the Swisshotel last week and loved every second of it. Our room was great, 59th floor, with an amazing view of the skyline and the harbour. We were very pleased with the room itself, an executive: spacious, comfy, nicely furnished and last but not least complementary lavazza coffee machine. The staff was just amazing, we were actually celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary, and they couldn't have been more helpful or kind to make this occasion a truly unforgettable one. Audrey, thank you, you're the best concierge ever. We can only warmly recommend the Swisshotel to anyone travelling to Singapore, it's a great hotel with a sincerely caring staff and a great location.

• Liked — kindness of the staff, room
  • Disliked — breakfast
2 Thank ADGMunich
sydney, australia
Reviewed June 3, 2007

1st night we stayed in a standard room. that was perfect. then we upgraded to an executive room, and it was more than perfect. just as well we stayed in a standard room 1st night cause once we went to executive room we did not leave our room all day.

the view was awsome, what a beautiful city. the cocktail hour and the breakfast up there was such a pleaseure with the whole city under you.

the staff were very friendly. everone from check in moment to room service, pool staff, the club room and porters. evern the taxi drivers in singapore were friendly and helpful.

we will go back again to this city and will stay in Swissotel stamford (executive club room).

contact the hotel directly and you will get a better deal. to australian dollar it works out quite reasonable and even if it is pricey at least it is value for money and you are not being ripped off.

• Liked — pillows, honestly you must try it to understand what i mean
  • Disliked — airport "limo" transfer. nice but too pricey and not worth it. taxi is much much cheaper. the benz was a bit old and an ordinary ride.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank neda2000
Leicester, England
Reviewed June 1, 2007

Great hotel, I really liked the nightclub on the top floor, even moreso because we got complimentary entry.

One thing I will always remember is that we took a transfer from the airport with a group in a minivan, you had to see the look on the peoples faces when they saw us (In our trampy clothes) get out and walk into this hotel.

Location: Spot on. Couldnt imagine staying anywhere else. Noted that this is far from orchard road, but hey I can live with that.
Biggest gripe: having no method of getting a taxi from the concierge.... i.e we waited outside for 20 minutes one time in a queue.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no taxi ordering service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BalUK69
ks
Reviewed May 31, 2007

I arrived at 1AM after enduring 20+ hours of flights; probably not at my sharpest. Of course, nature was calling, so I opened the door, saw a small electronic thingy by the door that said "Insert Card", swiped my door card in it, lights came on, dropped key on the desk, tossed luggage on the bed and headed for bathroom - when the lights went out! Fumbled around for the key, found it again, swiped it again, more lights, headed for bathroom - and the lights went out again! Swiped card again, and discovered that lights would go out after about 15 seconds. By this time was nature wasn't just calling, it was screaming. I went back to the card swiper and this time left my card in the swiper - and the lights stayed on. WHAT RELIEF!

I learned that "Insert Card" means leave your door card right here by the door if you want electricity, not "Insert, Remove and put in pocket for safe keeping".

So, after my introduction to energy saving technology, I had more relaxed time to look around the room. I was told it was one of the recently updated king rooms. It was very comfortable with a large desk, counters, fridge - the usual. The bed was rock hard, which I prefer. There were 110 and 220 outlets available in the room, along with a plug adapter. It also appears all rooms have a balcony, which was nice after it cooled down later in the day.

Internet access was available for SIN$30/day - a little pricey for vacation, but I was there on work, so I sucked it up and paid the outrageous amount. I might have to stop complaining about Marriott hotels in the US charging for internet access on top of thier already inflated room rates - but probably I won't ;)

The concierges were very helpful finding things, assisting with minor problems, and making arrangements. However, unless you had a specific request for a restaurant, they directed you to the on-site facilities - acceptable, but like most hotel food, uninspired, right down to the "American" breakfast buffet featuring Micheal Jackson, Cher, and "Achy-Breaky Heart" for Muzak. The food was good, but the music over-powered my memory of it. Please, someone send them a new CD! A co-worker heard the same medley the next morning.

Overall, it was a very pleasant stay.

• Liked — Very convenient to (literally on top of) Singapore Convention Center
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank ks-bike-rider
Queensland
Reviewed May 26, 2007

Stayed at this hotel at the beginning of May. We found that the hotel
was very good in all aspects. The staff were polite and very helpful.
The room was excellent, comfortable and well serviced and the view priceless. The breakfast which we had for the 5 days of our stay was an extensive buffet catering for western and asian tastes and it would be difficult to find fault with the food and the service.

The hotel is well located and convenient to City Hall MRT. It is also
within easy walking distance of Boat Quay and Clark Quay.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and will not hesitate in future to
use this hotel.

• Liked — Quality of the room and service
  • Disliked — Not enough regular tea bags supplied as standard
2 Thank mandeeqld
Gossau ZH
Reviewed May 26, 2007

We stayed for 4 Nights in a Swiss Executive Room with Harbour view. Everything was great, the staff was friendly and the room very clean. The location of this hotel is just perfect (shopping mall and MRT Station right under the hotel). I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Liked — Aussicht, Lage, Zimmer
3 Thank Toby2302