“fantastic hotel”

Swissotel The Stamford Singapore
Ranked #71 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed May 24, 2007

It was fantastic,every thing was at its best.A bit pricy but worth it.
Highly recommand/

2  Thank FazSydney
Write a ReviewReviews (8,193)

Reviewed May 19, 2007

Spent 2 nights at this modern high rise hotel near the harbour. Great location - has a shopping mall and underground station as part of the complex. Room large, good quality furnishings etc, quiet with a small balcony. Had 2 queen sized beds. We were upgraded to a room on the 37th floor with a wonderful view over the marina end of town. Is away from the hustle and bustle of Orchard Rd but can easily get there in a few minutes by underground. Have stayed in Singapore a couple of times and prefer this "quieter" end of town. Plenty of shopping malls, restaurants within easy access.

3  Thank AussieTravelholic
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Stayed here twice during our recent trip to Asia, was booked into the Robertson Quay(see my review), it was awful so moved here instead. the hotel is lovely, all be it a bit pricy, luckily we got a deal through my sister in law( a local) who gets discounts with the raffles group, and stayed here on a friday night very cheaply. We had a harbour view room on the 46th floor with stunning views over the CBD and Boat Quay, 2 queen beds, and a reasonably large room. They couldnt accomodate us on the Sat, so we transfered through to Raffles The Plaza and were upgraded to a suite. View not so good as not as high but very luxurious, bed sheets turned down for us, slippers on floor etc and not to mention the electric curtains-more than we are used to!
returned to The Stamford a week later paying the local rate (approx £80pn), this time took a city view room on 44th floor. Only fault was the toilet, it had a strange odour, but housekeeping did come and spray it with bleach and we were offered a room move but for 2 nights i couldnt be bothered moving, just kept door closed and popped in a toilet block.
New Asia bar on 70th floor a must if not just for the view, go when its still light but turning dark and get best of all views. Try the cocktails, and for a few dollars extra get a novelty stamford tower or merlion glass to keep.
the 2 pools shared between the 2 hotels+tennis courts are on the 8th floor, plenty of sunbeds available, towels laid out on them every morning by the staff for you.
had room only basis, but hotels sitting above the marketplace, lower ground of the raffles plaza shopping mall, so lots of places to buy breakfast. liked a wee place called MIX which does smoothies!
Also had a family meal at Pregos, an italian restaurant at the entrance to Raffles The Plaza hotel, food very nice but cant comment on price as my brother paid!
Both very well situated for sightseeing and the MRT.

3  Thank aberdeen01
Reviewed April 28, 2007

Coming from a great stay at the Royal Plaza on Scotts just 2 days before I stayed at the Stamford, I really had very high expectations (Yes as high as the hotel!)

As I entered the hotel, I was really impressed. It really feels and looks like a great hotel. The staff looks very professional in their nice uniforms. But that's where all my woes began!

My company booked me here for a 4 day 3 night stay. I was told by our Singapore office that I will not pay anything and will just give my credit card for the customary "incidentals deposit." But I was surprised that they were asking me to pay for the payment of my whole stay! I know there's a mix up and probably its not their fault if that's what their computer said! I was scrambling to call the Singapore office, unfortunately, the front desk people where not even offering for me use their phones! After countless haggling, they agreed for me to just swipe the card for the incidentals.

I was given a room at the 48th floor with a stunning view of Suntec City and the Singapore River! The room is also elegantly furnished and the bathroom okay. My only problem is that the room is like so hot! The air-con is not woking properly! It feels like summer inside!

I called up maintenance and they sent people to the room, they fixed it and told me that the unit is clogged but it will be okay. After an hour, it feels the same, I called up again and maintenance went there again! They said they fixed it but it was still hot. I am a very busy person preparing for work so I said to myself that I would rather work than mind this problem. I decided to sleep but my night was terribly hot!

I woke up the next day and advised the front desk to fix the aircon. After a days work I returned to the room and at least it was quite cold. But after a few hours it was back to being hot!!! Again beacuse I am very busy, moving to another room is much more of a hassle so I just requested the hotel for an electric fan! Well it helped and I had a nice sleep.

Breakfast was not that good though I love the pastrami! The location of the hotel is superb with the MRT literally just at the hotels door step. There is a good mall downstairs with a food court!

There are ups and downs but I reccommended our Singapore office to get another hotel next time I'm in Singapore!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank crispypata
Reviewed April 7, 2007

I stayed this hotel for the first time. I arrived at the hotel around 4pm, and there was a long queue for check-in. While a lady was trying to organize the people in the queue, it was not effective.

Check in was OK, and I was given a room on the 51st floor with the superb view. The problem was that the cleaning of the toilet was not complete, and it took 45 minutes for my suitcases to come up (I should have brought them mysef).

The cleaning lady was so apologetic about the situation, so was the staff at the reception. However, when I complained these problems to the management, no apology was made.

Staff was relatively nice and polite, perhaps, there were too few people working in this huge hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank PaddingtonTokyo
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We stayed at this a hotel for 3 nights on our return from Europe. We had stayed at this hotel previously. Normally I book our hotels via the hotels website but this time I booked through an agent. When I checked in I asked about the standard of the room and was advised we had a basic room. I asked for a renovated room and the reception was very happy to offer me a nicer room for no extra charge. The room was lovely, with lots of space even with 2 queen sized beds. The hotel has 2 great pools which kept our kids happy. The best for me was the hotel is adjacent to a shopping centre and very close to the subway should you want to venture elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Epollene
Reviewed March 21, 2007

This hotel was incredibly busy when we arrived a couple of weeks before Chrismas. The room (with king bed) we'd booked was not available and neither was the 'room on a high floor' we'd requested well in advance. The distainful receptionist was unable to upgrade us as there was nothing better available, even though we were willing to pay extra, but eventually gave us the room we'd booked, grumbling all the while that we'd 'taken someone else's room'.

This was the only low point of our stay. Our room was pleasant, if not quite the luxury you expect from a five star hotel in the east. The breakfast buffet was delicious with a great selection of east and west options. Equinox restaurant, on level 69, is stunning, for its decor, food and views.

The hotel is well situated, particularly for the MRT and the adjoining shopping arcade is handy - particularly the little well-stocked supermarket in the basement. The Singapore Airlines 'hop-on' bus, which makes a round tour of the sights, stops close by (reduced fare with a SIA boarding pass, free on stopover packages) and is great if the humidity gets too much for walking far. We found it was also possible to walk from the hotel to all the way to the spectacular Esplanade arts centre (where there are plenty of restaurants) by way of interconnecting, air conditioned shopping malls!

A useful tip: our flight was very late at night and the hotel was unable to offer us a particularly late check out. It does, however, have a complimentary guest suite with a bathroom and tea and coffee making facilities, which was was very welcome after a day sight seeing. We weren't offered use of this automatically and the hotel literature didn't seem to mention it (I discovered it from other tripadvisor reviewers) - so it is worth asking.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple