“Return visit”

Ranked #67 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Perth, Australia
“Return visit”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I've recently returned from a second visit to The Stamford.

My previous visit/review was filled with enormous praise and accolade for the stretch of service received during my stay, including an amazing upgrade to a suite. THIS review however, will not contain the same joyous merit as previously described.

I booked a Swiss Executive Room online, which includes access to the Executive Lounge (at around $360+taxes). Unfortunately for me, my previous experience had left me with a level of expectation that had inflated way beyond the normal realms of this hotel. Yes the staff are friendly.....Yes the rooms are well appointed, equipped and clean, but..... The same level of loyalty and charm was not disposed on this occasion.

The Executive Lounge is well catered and the staff are very attentive. But, if you expect the same level of value and service on each and every visit, then you may be left a little disappointed like me.

Would I stay again?..... Maybe

1 Thank kjm7077
SwissotelTheStamford, Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear kjm7077,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. I’m saddened to hear that your experience was below satisfactory and sincerely apologise for the inconsistency in service. I will be reaching out to you separately for information that will help us conduct an investigation and a detailed follow-up with the relevant departments and would like to reassure you that we will continue seeking ways to enhance our guests’ experience.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback and hope to have the pleasure of serving you once again!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,587)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Swissotel The Stamford for one night as I was transiting through Singapore for less than 24 hours. During my past two visits to the city-state, I stayed at the Fairmont (in the same Raffles City complex) and thought I'd give Swissotel a try. I was only but disappointed. First, I was given a room on the 48th floor and I noticed that the furniture and finishes are quite dated in needing of replacement. Secondly, after I checked in at around 3:30 pm and left the room and came back after a few hours, I already felt that the room was not getting cool. On my way out for pre-dinner drinks, I asked the very pleasant gentleman at the Concierge desk to have it checked. Upon my return after dinner, there was a voicemail message that the HVAC system has been checked and all is fine -- and it did feel fine. I was awoken at around 2 am by the warmth inside the room (despite the 20C setting). It appears that the a/c has stopped working and cool air would intermittently come back only at around 5:30 am. Next, I noticed that there's an outlet for two-prong electrical plugs by the desk and thought to myself that it was so smart to have those for international travellers (standard in Singapore is a 3-prong type). So I charge my phone and IPad, only to hear both beep after 10 minutes -- because it seems like the power to the outlet has stopped! Despite a few attempts, no luck. So I head to the airport with a dying cellphone and IPad and would need to charge them at the airport. Upon checkout, I mentioned these issues (including a busted lightbulb by the bathroom sink) to Front Desk. This unfortunate experience makes me question whether this is indeed a 5-star hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Anonymous8
Dear Anonymous8,

My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused and I regret to hear that your experience was below satisfactory. The issues you have highlighted are definitely unacceptable by our hotel standards. With regards to the room conditions, I’m pleased to share that plans are underway for refurbishment in the near future. I fully understand your frustrations and will be reaching out to you separately to conduct a detailed investigation and follow up with the relevant departments.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to review and improve through providing your feedback and I hope to have the pleasure of serving you once again in the future.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Just completed our second stay at the Swissotel The Stamford. It's the tallest building in Singapore and the higher the floor of your room, the better. For this stay I did not specifically request Harbor View and our room was on the 22nd floor with a view of neighboring buildings. Went to the front desk the next day and they changed our room to the 38th floor with "partial" harbor view that proved to be quite nice. The rooms are large, with a good number of outlets. Acces to the City Hall MRT stop is a few steps from hotel front entrance so very convenient. There is a mall adjacent also, with many options for food, including a grocery store, The Marketplace, where we bought yogurt and juice for the mornings. The hotel provides access to 2 large outdoor pools at the Fairmont Singapore, and we also had access to the Fairmont's fitness center which is quite well equipped. It's a busy hotel with lots of tour groups and airline crews, so don't expect quiet areas in the lobby for relaxing while reading the newspaper. Location is great for walking to all the sites. The Concierge was very helpful in making reservations for us, to get chili crab - couldn't get a reservation at our first choice, Jumbo Seafood, though we luckily walked by during a rare lull and got a table.
Will definitely stay at the Swissotel The Stamford on our next trip to Singapore.

Room Tip: Request a Harbor View room on the highest available floor.
1 Thank MarcoSF
Dear MarcoSF,

It is a great pleasure to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and appreciate the many compliments on your hotel’s experience. I sincerely thank you for choosing to stay with us again and would like to reassure you that we will remain steadfast in our pursuit towards ensuring exceptional service standards.

Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I booked a one night stay at Swissotel the Stamford for my pre-birthday celebration last March 1, 2014 and I must say this is one of the best stay we had. The lady at the reception put us on the 36th floor, although it was equipped with 2 queen sized beds, the room was big and just nice for me and my husband. The view was amazing! we can see Marina Bay Sands and the Flyer. The ambience was also very nice that even if we stayed for a night, we were relaxed. The location is also very nice !

1 Thank Vivzkie
Dear Vivzkie,

It brings my team great joy to read your compliments. I sincerely thank you for taking your time to write this review. I would like to assure you that we remain highly dedicated and committed towards ensuring exceptional service standards.

Once again, happy birthday and hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The hotel itself was very pleasant - our room was spacious and clean, no outlook but fine for our purposes. Some of the public areas look a bit tired. The location is great for restaurants, dining, sightseeing and accessibility to public transport. I found the check in staff to be a little unfriendly, although I did appreciate that our room was ready earlier than the designated check in. The staff in the bar on the top floor were excellent. My main irritation with my stay at the hotel was the lack of complementary in room wifi, which is standard in most hotels of this level. I should have checked whether it was available before booking but didn't - I would have paid for internet if the charges were reasonable but even then they were quite expensive and only covered one device, which was not ideal given we were a couple travelling each with laptops, phones and iPads. I ended up having to use the business lounge but even the internet charges in there were exorbitant.

So whilst I was otherwise happy with my stay at the Swissotel, unless the internet policy changes I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kayt83
Dear Kayt83,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. With regards to our Internet charges, you might like to know that all Swissotel Circle members are given complimentary internet access as one of the host of benefits. However, I would bring up your feedback to the relevant teams for follow up.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback and hope to have the pleasure of serving you in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed on the 49th floor. As always swissotel hospitality is amazing. Great location - close to the central business district. Restaurants are good and were very busy during my stay. Loved the glass facade. Good to stay here on work!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
SwissotelTheStamford, Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Roila,

It makes me happy to hear that we were able to look after your every need during your stay. It was definitely my pleasure to ensure that we remain steadfast in our pursuit towards ensuring exceptional service standards for all our guests.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford and hope to welcome you back in future!

Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2014

A Lovely hotel and what you would expect from 5 stars. Reception was very quick with check in and no long queues. The Rooms are spacious and have everything you could think of including the bathroom scales (maybe not such a good thing on holidays). There was a small balcony on our room which was nice to use for photo opportunities. The hotel itself did not appear old or run down and the maintenance had been maintained. The breakfast was really nice I couldn't go past the buffet breakfast area as they really had something to choose for every day of the stay, a great way to fuel up the day. As for the location couldn't ask for better. Right in the heart of the city, taxis always at the ready, however if you prefer the MTR is literally at the bottom of the hotel foyer for City Hall stop which is a junction and serves well. At the very bottom of the hotel is a shopping centre and a large food hall area with some very cheap eats and a small supermarket as well. Suntec Shopping Centre is literally a stroll across the park opposite and don't forget to stop and see the war memorial when in the park. All in all I would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Like everything for a view the higher the better don't forget some may have park views and some...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Stormfly,

It brings much joy and satisfaction to my team and I to read your outstanding review of your stay with us! I wish to reassure you that we will definitely continue our pursuit for excellence in service and seek ways to enhance our guests’ experience. It is through this continuous feedback process that we are able to engage with you, our valued guest, to ensure that we meet your expectations as a 5-star hotel.

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again!