“Cold, crowded and over-rated”

Swissotel The Stamford Singapore
Ranked #70 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed July 21, 2013

At the end of our 3D2N staycation, the overall experience wasn't as pleasant as we would expect from a 5-star, luxury hotel. The most obvious was the cold service we received from our various interactions with the hotel staff. I'm not saying they have treated us badly, just that we have not experienced warmth in their service. In one of my phone calls to the operator, she even greeted me with a wrong name.

Car-parking:

We only found out that there are no carpark within the hotel's premise when we actually got there. And when I called the hotel, I spoke with 2 different operators who told me 2 different rates for the hotel's valet parking service - yes, even to hotel guests, we have to pay for the valet parking. When inquired with the parking rates of the next (if not only) alternative parking option at Raffles City Shopping Centre (which is just next to the hotel), both operators were unsure and weren't able to provide us with constructive suggestions. Eventually, we parked at Raffles City Shopping Centre and ended up paying close to SGD$80 at the end of our stay.

Breakfast:

We had our first breakfast at Kopi Tiam, the smaller restaurant that supposedly serves the same food offering as the main Cafe Swiss, which was packed when we arrived. Service was alright but the fruits were either not fresh, or not sweet. Perhaps it was the layout of the buffet spread, we had the impression that the food was kind of limited and not too appetizing. What shocked us most was how quickly the restaurant staff cleared the food when the clock striked 11am. No one even came to inform us of the last serving! Something we have not encountered in any other restaurants.

On the second morning, we woke up early as we wanted to have our breakfast at Cafe Swiss (which seemed to be the more popular choice of the 2 available breakfast restaurant). We arrived at about 8am and the restaurant was already packed! We were led to a huge table for 8 at the very very far end of the restaurant, but were later shifted to a table for 2 just next to the buffet line. The general feeling there was busy. The restaurant staff were busy walking here and there, doing this and that. They seemed so busy to even smile and greet the diners. They were so busy that they had to clear our plates without asking if we're done eating. Dining wares were not topped up in time, the serving utensils at the buffet line were greasy and unsightly. But everyone was so busy so busy... As we took a break from the eating, the manager came and asked if everything was alright. He must have thought we are done eating because he swiftly cleared all my dining utensils without asking if I'm done eating. I guess he must be very stressed about the long queue of guests waiting to come in to the restaurant, that he decided to, sort of, subtlety, chase us away.

We were rather disappointed with breakfast as we have read a number of good reviews by fellow tripadvisors. Neither the variety nor the quality of food awed us. The food was alright, not great.

Facilities:

Key facilities are located on level 8. There were 2 round swimming pools, a shallow one for the little ones and another for grown ups. We also passed by the spa and took a glimpse of the tennis court, but we couldn't find the fitness centre. We did not make use of any of these facilities but the general impression wasn't impressive.

Pros:

The hotel is just next to Raffles City Shopping Centre, so it is very convenient to buy stuff and get good food.

We managed to get a room on the 54th floor and the view from the balcony was awesome. From our balcony, we get to see both the city and harbour views - totally cool! We even got lucky and were able to view the fireworks from the National Day Parade rehearsal, right from our balcony! But that was totally unplanned and coincidental... So it was just a little bonus to comfort our dissatisfaction from the other areas.

Room Tip: Request for rooms on higher floors, preferable one with city and harbour view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank twinklemmy
SwissotelTheStamford, Quality Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences. Rest assured that we will direct your feedback to the relevant departments for follow-up. At the same time, we appreciate your compliments on the hotel’s convenient location with the great harbour view.

We hope to welcome you back!

There are newer reviews for Swissotel The Stamford Singapore

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I always stay at the Swissotel The Stamford when in Singapore on work and stayed there again when on holidays with my family. They thoroughly enjoyed the hotel in every respect. My young adult children made good use of the extensive buffet breakfast on offer!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel
1  Thank John Michael D

Dear John,

Thank you for the review. Your feedback has also been noted and followed-up through our Market Metrix guest survey. Please rest assured that we will continue our pursuit for excellence in service.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The reception area is vast with a coffee shop on the right as you enter, also on the far right is the entrance to the shopping Mall. Rooms are spacious if a little dated and tired, however they are very clean and comfortable and air conditioning is very quiet and efficient. My room had a balcony but I did not venture outside as I have a fear of heights. The views were spectacular.

The bathroom is where my issues began, on the first part of my two sector stay the sink would not drain, this was reported and it was rectified very quickly so full marks on this issue.

On the second part, the bath would not drain and the toilet leaked, this was resolved but did take a little longer (2hrs) which is ok if your going out but if your in the room it is a while to wait. Also While I was there I had some room servicing issues and the answer I was given by the staff as to why it had not been done in 2 days contradicted my stay during the first part of my trip. This was explained to the staff and was resolved however this should not have been allowed to escalate as it did. Also I had a room key which failed on 3 separate occasions.

Although I had several issues which were frustrating and annoying they did not deter from what was generally a great stay. Staff overall were very good.

Singapore was for me an amazing experience but in house the hotel costs were extremely expensive 12$ for a coffee ... ! Admittedly it is an expensive city but I would advise anyone to venture out where it can be quite reasonable for food and drinks.

If I had the choice of where to stay I think I would opt for something smaller and a bit more personal but as this is a company booking I do not have a choice. Interestingly several of my colleagues also had issues with drainage issues in the bathrooms so perhaps this would indicate that an upgrade is needed to the facilities.

Room Tip: My room looked out towards Marina Bay Sands and the Business district .. the view was stunning
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Paul,

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. The issues you mentioned are certainly not acceptable for our hotel. We will be reaching out to you separately for information that will help us conduct an investigation and a detailed follow-up with engineering.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here for a week while in Singapore for business. Beautiful, clean and comfortable room. The gym was nice, and make sure you sign up for the yoga on the rooftop. The breakfast was vast and a great selection for varied tastes. The only bumps were while I was in the spa and "early" check-out. There was some construction going on which made it difficult to relax and enjoy a massage and facial. Spa staff were very apologetic and offered a discount if I re-booked the next day, but unfortunately I was leaving. As well, the construction was going on in the shopping centre next door so there was nothing hotel staff could do. Then, I tried to check out early to give them the room so they could prep it for the next guest, but I would lose the wifi (which I still needed access to) and they were unable to give me continued access, so I checked out at the usual time. Not a big problem, but I took my suitcase back to my room after expecting to just keep it with the concierge. Will be back and hope to try the spa again.

Room Tip: As for an ocean view, not city view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We’re glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay and appreciate our beautiful and clean room, nice gym and the great breakfast spread. At the same time, we note your feedback on the check out issue and the spa.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed a couple of nights for business. The service was friendly. It was good to be upgraded to the business floors, however this involved effectively two check-ins which was frustrating after a long-haul flight (when all you want is to get to your room - why not just process once at the front desk?). In the process my bags were displaced and after a long wait I had to go and get them. The business floor has its own breakfast area which is very pleasant, with real (espresso) coffee. This also allowed us to have a pre-meeting planning session over breakfast. The room was also very good. I would return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the compliments especially the friendly service and the great room. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had a lovely stay here in Singapore and the staff accommodated our request for adjoining rooms and a late checkout very easily. Great location too with easy access to the underground and a handy food hall in the shopping centre next door.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Nicole,

We’re glad to hear that you had a lovely stay and appreciate your positive comments on the hotel’s accommodating staff, service and the convenient location.

We definitely can’t wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed 3 nights on our way back from Europe. The room was very nice and the bathroom facilities were excellent. The pool is excellent. The location is very central, and the shopping centre below has lots of eating options. The downside is that they wanted to charge $SING28 per hour for Wifi access. We did not have to pay for Wifi at any hotel we stayed at in Europe - although they were more humble hotels. I resent the fact that because you pay more, the hotel feels it is entitled to charge you for what has become a basic offering at most hotels. We also had a problem with the air conditioning. It was too cold and adjusting the thermostat on the wall made no difference. Admittedly, we did not complain until check out, so perhaps it could have been fixed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

It makes us happy to know that you had a fantastic stay and appreciate your compliments on the nice room, excellent bathroom amenities, great facilities like the pool, wide variety of restaurants and shops in the area and the convenience of the location. Regarding the wifi issue, you might like to know that effective from 1 January 2013, all Swissotel Circle members are given complimentary internet access as one of the host of benefits. Registration itself is hassle-free and can be quickly completed at www.swissotel.com/circle.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford!