“Enjoyable stay”

Swissotel The Stamford Singapore
Ranked #69 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Overall, really enjoyed our stay at Swissotel. Here are my impressions:

Pros:
*Very clean
*Fantastic location
*Excellent service
*Quick check-in and check-out
*Amazing views from Equinox restaurant
*Good variety of buffet breakfast options

Cons:
*Room was a bit worn out (e.g. some stains on carpet, linen not 100% clean)
*Expensive stay for the quality of room

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amit_Bulbul
TanBrian, Director of Quality at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay and appreciate the compliments on the hotel’s cleanliness, excellent service, seamless check-in/out, amazing views, great breakfast variety and the convenience of the location. Regarding the room conditions, we are glad to inform that plans are underway for guestroom refurbishments in the future.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford!

Director of Quality

Write a ReviewReviews (8,116)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The staff at the hotel were all about customer service. They were all pleasant and helpful when I asked for assistance. The hotel is a little tired but is well maintained. The room was clean and comfortable. Our room was facing east and overlooking where a new building is going up. We had asked not to be on that side due to the noise in the very early morning due to the construction. Unfortunately that did not happen. The noise was not unbearable as the windows and patio door are sealed well. It would have been preferred. Having access to the balcony is a plus. We had breakfast every morning at the hotel which was very diversified and plentiful. Amanda, the Restaurant Manager did an amazing job with her staff. It appeared some mornings they were unstaffed yet everyone just seem to work that much harder to keep us all happy.
The location of the hotel was perfect and central. Easy access to the MRT. We were able to go in any direction easily and quickly. There is a large selection of restaurants within a 5 minute walk.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are quieter.
1  Thank wlc1100

Dear Guest,

We take pleasure to know that you had a fantastic stay. We appreciate your positive comments on the helpful staff, service, clean and comfortable rooms, great breakfast spread and the perfect and convenient location. We will convey your compliments of Amanda and the rest of the Café Swiss team as an inspiration to continue their amazing work!

At the same time, we sincerely apologise for the noise though you mentioned it was not unbearable. Rest assured that we are in constant communication with the authorities regarding noise from nearby building projects to minimize the inconveniences. Regarding the hotel conditions, we are glad to inform that plans are underway for refurbishments in the future.

We hope to welcome you back!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I chose this hotel as it has a vast amount of open space and choosing the Bay view was a good choice.
It didnt start off well.
When i was booking it the computer system crashed half way while i was paying.
The customers services who i emailed several times with didnt know what was wrong and even worse, they never read my email and its threads before aswering me.
Well after several tried someone finally answers me that if a double booking did go through that i will get a refund on one of them.
Well after that reassurance i went ahead to book it. they called me one out of the times i suggested which was bad and the second time they said they called me but i never received a call or miss call even thought i was ready to answer it.
i ended up going to get a phone card to call them to make the payment. what a shame.

Well i went there for Chinese New year and the reception who was there seems a bit busy but after greeting me she was very nice and helpful.
All the compliments will go to this one person.
Sorry i didnt catch her name but she was a young dark skinned woman
she even offered to show me the celebrations details she has there but i declined as i had my own plans.
i only got the 44 floor which is not that high but after seeing the fireworks i would say it is just right.
Its high enough to enjoy the views and low enough that the fireworks were not tiny.
I could lie on the bed and look out or sit on the desk and watch tv.

only 20 mins stroll to the football field platform and theatre house. Cross the road and walk one block then use the subway.

City station just downstairs and Raffles shopping and food courts accessed by hotel side entrance. means you dont have to walk far to travel or eat or shop. its great.
There are 2 lines here so you can go to Bugis or Orchard Road without changing.
I took the taxi as it was rush hour and raining but you can easily take the train from the airport to the hotel at a small cost. Very very easy.

Room Tip: bay view rooms are great but you pay for it. its a pity you need to pay service charge regardless i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during reservation and in the subsequent communications. Rest assured that we will direct your feedback to the relevant departments for follow-up.

At the same time, we’re glad you found that we’re one of the best places to stay during the New Year! Your compliments on the hotel’s service, staff, view and the convenience of the location are appreciated.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

First time stay at swissotel stamford, the room is nice, quite big, the bathroom clean. The staff very helpful, I arrived at Spore at 9.00am and until hotel is about 10.00am but the receptionist told me that the room is available, so I can use it. The Location of this Hotel is good enough, also MRT station is near from hotel. Breakfast is good also, only the price too high I think.........

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the many positive comments! We are glad you were able to check-in despite the early arrival. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

OK the locations great and I found the front desk and portering staff to be excellent but that is about where it stops. The property is billed as on of the best in Singapore but really its seen better days. The rooms furnishings, the public area furniture, carpets etc are all really showing their age. Breakfast service was abysmal with the staff just seeming to be in their own little world. All in all, its an older hotel that has seen better days and for the price, is just not worth it.

Room Tip: The view to the harbour is excellent
2  Thank BradCS1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback on the breakfast service, we will follow up with the team to ensure it is rectified. Regarding the physical conditions, we are glad to inform that plans are underway for refurbishments in the future. At the same time, we appreciate your compliment on our front desk and bell team.

We hope to welcome you back to Swissotel The Stamford.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Back in August 2012 I stayed at a Swissotel in Sydney, Australia that just didn't go well, so I was a bit apprehensive coming to stay at the Singapore property. I had a 26 hour journey from the US and arrived at 2AM, fully worn out and ready to relax. The staff at the front desk was gracious and they did a great job stitching my 3 reservations (necessitated by our company's odd travel processes) into 1 and sent me off to my room in no time at all.

The room was spacious and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and they had some nice extra pillows in the closet that I could use to prop up a recently replaced shoulder joint that was still mending. My views were good but I was facing away from the more exciting Marina view. My balcony door worked just fine and I could go out and soak in the humidity with no problems at all.

My room included Executive Lounge access. The staff, food and beverage offerings are all very nice but I do have a couple of suggestions. 1) Open earlier than 7AM in the morning. Many of us are business travelers and miss out getting even a cup of coffee due to the timing of our first appointments. 2) Be a little less stringent in your food/beverage removal times in the evening. At 8PM the little army of friendly staff, just pick everything up and rush it away rather than offering a last serving or leaving one or two items for the grazing guests.

I did not have a chance to eat at the restaurants so I can't add any value there.

I checked out at 3AM for a very early flight and when finished I sat on the group of couches between the front desk and front door. A couple of fellows who seemed out of place sat on either side of me. It was an uncomfortable situation and I had a concern they were targeting my luggage so I stood up and began to walk off. I give credit to the night manager who came over to ask if there was a problem. Security spoke with the fellows and they moved on to another location. That kind of attention to detail is welcome, expected even.

Couple all of what I have written with the Stamford having a great location with proximity to Raffles, malls, MRT, etc. and I definitely have placed it on my preferred list for Singapore business stays.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing the marina (Marina Bay Sands, Ritz Carlton, F1 track, National Day Sta...

Dear Guest,

We take pleasure to know you had an excellent business stay with us! Your positive comments on the reservation experience, spacious and well-appointed rooms, comfortable bed, good views and the convenience of the location are definitely appreciated.

Your security is our top priority and we’re glad to read that our front desk and security staff were alert to avert a potentially compromising situation.

Thank you for placing Swissotel The Stamford on your preferred list! We look forward to welcome you back again!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were booked for 2 nights through a cruise company. The location of the hotel couldn't be better, across from the Raffles Hotel & within walking distance of Marina Bay, the evening laser show & even China Town or Little India - if you are a walker. [Wonderful public transport available if not a walker.] The amenities were wonderful with 2 huge, round pools & pool bar, 6 fake grass tennis courts & gym. Our room included a full breakfast buffet which we enjoyed both mornings in the A/C of Kopi Tiam. Although not the biggest buffet we have experienced, it is large, diverse & excellent. Coffee was always an issue as we had to search out a server to replenish our cups.

The location & amenities are 5 star. The room was not.

The view from the 17th floor was wonderful & the best part of the room We could see all the way to the port, including the Singapore Flyer. The glass doors open to go out on a short balcony to take in the wonderful views.

The room itself was large with comfortable king bed & pillows but very shabby. Even the duvet had worn spots. The carpet was the worst I've seen in a long time. Extremely stained & worn to the point that the pattern was gone on most of it. It looked filthy. The furniture was old, scratched & nicked. The bathroom was decent sized, tiled but with some discolored caulking around tub/shower. The shower did not drain properly so we stood in an inch of water, making it a bit slippery if the shower mat was not down. When any water drains, it goes through a screened drain in the floor which is noisy. Also, there was a constant urine smell around the WC. All the stainless steel could use replacement or a good cleaning as it looked spotted and/or worn. Bathroom mirrors not properly cleaned, either. All this should be perfect for a 4/5 star hotel and it was far from it. There is a real sense that cleaners have not been doing their job properly.

There was a small bar with coffee/tea service & mini-bar, of course. Safe, iron, hair-dryer, robes, etc. as expected in a 4/5 star hotel. There was NO free Wi-Fi which is very strange in Singapore since the airport has free Wi-Fi & it is illegal to hack someone's connection. At the cost of 28S$ for 24 hr. Wi-Fi, we headed to Starbucks. It is ridiculous that expensive hotels do not include this with the room rate, especially in Singapore.

The staff was friendly & helpful, providing luggage storage, printing out boarding passes, giving us an additional 2 hours for a late check-out. Giving us good info on currency exchangers, tours, transfer services. The lobby was always crowded & very busy. Not a place to relax. It is attached to a huge mall with poor signage. All of us got lost the first time we tried to find our way back to Swissotel, ending up in the Fairmont instead. I didn't care for the ambiance of the lobby.

So, a rather mixed review with 5 stars for breakfast and amenities which we hardly used but 2/3 stars for the room itself. Taking everything into consideration, & comparing it to other 4/5 star hotels, an overall a rating of abt. 3 1/2 stars. If we were to go back to Singapore, I'd probably choose a different hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple