“Good Hotel - Bit Dated but Great Service”

Swissotel The Stamford Singapore
Ranked #69 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed here while visiting Singapore on a last minute rate (I think we paid approx. 200 Euros per night).

Hotel room had amazing views, service was fantastic and great central location. Room was a bit dated and certainly not luxurious but it was clean and comfortable and quite pleasant indeed.

Breakfast was room service and pretty good. Door man so helpful and kind. Lovely reception staff and concierge.

Only thing that really let the hotel down was the dated and rather shabby outdoor pool area´I certainly wouldn't have wanted to spend time there. But we were there to shop and dine and generally explore so the pool area wasn't going to be used anyway!

All in all though, this is a good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (8,123)

Reviewed July 2, 2012

The Good:
* outstanding hotel with close access to city centre and shopping districts
* great service, staff always at the ready to assist and looking out for it, clearly trained well
* spectacularly good breakfast buffet - every cuisine there is
* room was very good and mine had a great view of the city and harbour as well
* the Raffles City Mall is right below, plenty of shopping and eats

The not so Good:
* the breakfast staff seem incapable of understanding that someone may not want an orange juice for breakfast (I'm allergic to orange, yet every breakfast I was asked at least four times if I wanted orange juice. Got me down in the end)
* unless you hook onto the wifi in the middle of the night it doesn't work as all the guests plug in at the same time - and I was on a biz trip, wifi was absolutely essential, so if it isn't there next time I will have to go to a different hotel. This was a big showstopper for me, else this would've been a 5* review

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Overall about the hotel is very good, but I was very disappointed with my last stay at your hotel, I have stayed at this hotel many times and quite frankly I am not happy with the standard of room that they now offer, I am in Singapore on average 4 to 5 times per year and have always stayed there, I do feel that they should show a little loyalty to customers who support them year in year out with frequent stays when they do not hike up the room charges, as Director of a large organisation who frequently visit and send staff there I now feel I must look at alternative hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I visited Singapore with my husband and 2 kids, aged 8 y.o and 3 y.o. We stayed 3 nights here and the stay was soooooo pleasant.
The greatest thing about this hotel is it's location. McDonalds & City Hall MRT station is just around the corner. It's also part of Raffles City Mall complex so it's very convinient for you to find food. And City Hall MRT is also a great MRT station to be near to, because it serves 2 MRT lines that is additional points for me, no need to switch too much MRT lanes to get to my destinations. The area is still felt down town, but not too crowded and not too quiet.
The room is also great. It's spacious for 4 of us. We had a 2 double size bed and the beds were big enough for me to sleep with 2 of my kids in the same bed. The bedding was also comfy and neat. The amenities was complete. 2 extra pillows were already provided, iron & ironing board is also available in the room, coffee maker and nice lighting.
The staff was really friendly and helpful. We were unfortunate not to be able to have early check in (we arrived at 10.00 a.m. in the hotel).
Breakfast was good. The variety was nice - loved their waffle with butter cream and their drinkable youghurt. You also have 2 selection of place to experience different atmosphers - Kopi Tiam or Swiss Cafe.
They also have shuttle bus to Sentosa available every 30 minutes until 1 pm, and every 1 hour after 1 pm - 9 pm. It's just outside of the hotel's doorstep. Note that you have to inform the guy with the round hat that you want to be in the bus, because if he doesn't know, the bus might leave you (he's the one who give OK to go or no go for the bus) - I got left because of this.
One dissapointment from this hotel is the concierge's knowledge. They're really helpful and friendly but they have limited knowledge on cable car and river cruise. It's a good thing I missed the bus, so ended up using MRT instead, so I could experience the cable car before sunset which was great. The concierge advised me to go from Sentosa to main island, not the other way around where it turns out the cable car is paid for 2 ways (I would've lost half of my money's value). So don't fully rely on the concierge.
This hotel has no smoking floor, to smoke, you need to stand in front of the hotel. Not bad, but rules are rules.
All in all, I loved staying in this hotel. My family felt comfortable and the atmosphere is quite homey. Will definitely be back if we visit Singapore.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stay there at last week for Broadcast Asia. The services and the rooms are good. Downstairs is the shopping mall, walk distance to Suntec City convention center, its only 2 mins walk to City Hall station, very convenience. They have two restaurant for breakfast, the cafe is bigger, the food are more choice, for the small one, the food is better, both service are excellent.

Room Tip: They are doing renovation, some of their rooms have been done, ask for the new one because it will h...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This hotel is in an ideal location above the Raffles City Shopping Mall. You can "shop til you drop" and then catch the elevator up to your room. One of the tallest hotels in Asia, with 70 floors, most rooms have panoramic views over Singapore.From the 44th floor our room looked out over Boat Quay and Clarke Quay. At night the lights are fantastic. Also the buffet breakfast must be the largest and tastiest in Singapore. The staff are very friendly and give individual service to all guests. After the first day, they knew my name! There are 2 attractive pools and happy hour at the pool bar is very good value from 5.30pm -8.30pm.

Room Tip: The higher up the better as the views are amazing.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lois G
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I initially stayed at the Fairmont, which is right next to the swissotel. you can read my review on the Fairmont .
I moved to the Swissotel because of the fact the views must be better, i wanted a room on the Higher floors.
I was supposed to get a Executive room ( or something like that) . The levels above the 60th floor are different, something better or whatever.
I even paid more for this room then i paid for a room in the FAIRMONT.
once I got checked in, i was informed that i cannot have the higher rooms, like i was told i would have. i would have to pay more. they went against their word. they gave me a room on the 59th floor i think, the view was good. however, the good view has nothing to do with the staff. that is to do with the construction.
My wife told me not to worry, and its ok.... so we went upto the room... it was like it was still stuck in the 70s. the room smelt bad, and someone had been smoking in the room before me. the bed was uncomfortable, and the tv was dated.
The only good thing was the view, and the helpfulness of the ROOM SERVICE STAFF... and the lady downstairs who helped me get air asia tickets to hong kong.
I felt bamboozled. but i didnt want to make a big deal about it, cos i was on honeymoon. the reception staff have bad manners. it seems the hotel is content with its corporate customers (airline staff etc...) and maybe richer clients than me.. maybe i would have taken a suite if they weren't so ..... improper. i stayed in the sweet at the MANDARIN ORIENTAL... very good
i couldnt wait to get out of the hotel. infact we spent most of our time on the balcony. the view was good. thats it
The food was very, very, normal. nothing great. it seemed like microwave food at times. i had satay chicken, no where near as good as the fairmont's,
also i had the cottage pie ... not good.
very dissapointed. felt like i got hustled.

Room Tip: get all the details of your room before you get there
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple